Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Custom liscense plate is in!View attachment 129030
That's interesting that you can get personalized plates for your trailer in Saskatchewan. I've never seen one in Ontario. Ours actually have "TRAILER" printed on them. The good thing is that we pay a one time registration fee of $25 and the plates last for ever. Registering a home made trailer in Ontario is ridiculously easy. It's to the point where a lot of trailers are registered that shouldn't be.

Great trailer … and plate too. :blush:

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
That's interesting that you can get personalized plates for your trailer in Saskatchewan. I've never seen one in Ontario. Ours actually have "TRAILER" printed on them. The good thing is that we pay a one time registration fee of $25 and the plates last for ever. Registering a home made trailer in Ontario is ridiculously easy. It's to the point where a lot of trailers are registered that shouldn't be.

Great trailer … and plate too. :blush:
The custom plate costed 160. And 160 per year to insure. Homebuilt trailers are getting very strict here with sgi. Luckily for this trailer it was manufactured with a vin (magnum trailers). Although my homebuilt for my ice shack required and officer to basically give it a "safety" before being able to insure it.

Reactions: PCO6 and eagle_A40

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

The custom plate costed 160. And 160 per year to insure. Homebuilt trailers are getting very strict here with sgi. Luckily for this trailer it was manufactured with a vin (magnum trailers). Although my homebuilt for my ice shack required and officer to basically give it a "safety" before being able to insure it.
Things are quite different here. I have a few trailers ...

2019 Clipper Teardrop - I had to provide proof of insurance to the dealership before I could pick it up. Annual cost is $215. No annual plate cost. Insurance basically covers damage and theft at a stated value. Liability is covered by insurance for the tow vehicle(s).
1986 Cadet Fibreglass - Cannot get insurance. Company for the above insurance wouldn't even talk to me. They also have my house and car policies! $25 one time fee for licence. Liability is covered by insurance for the tow vehicle(s) and there is no extra cost.
Home built expedition and utility trailers - basically the same as above.

There are NO government inspections for home built trailers of this size. I've registered 3 home built trailers, 2 before they were finished and one before I even started to build it. I like to think I do a good job (see my sig below) but anyone can screw up. Many I've seen shouldn't be on the road. I've seen some making drop offs at the town dump that should stay there!

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
While I'm saving up my pennies for my RTT. (Tepui Ayer 2, simply for the fact it has the smallest footprint) I decided I could spend my time on plans for a slide out from the rear door. I plan on housing my fridge/freezer & stove mainly, and all cookware. I'm having the main box built professionally since I dont do well with woodworking. This is what I've gotten so far. It's not much, but I would have never guessed that itd be so tough to even get this far.

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I love this trailer build. It’s right up my alley. Can’t wait until you get it done.

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
Found a nice Taylor battery box on local market place for 20$
Started picking up materials for my slide out as well.
And I finally ordered my tepui ayer 2 tent! It feels good to be back building. The ice fishing season is coming to a close with only a couple weeks left

Attachments

Reactions: PCO6

malenurse

Rank II

Enthusiast II

disputanta, va
First Name
wil
Last Name
havens
Looks great man, I am modifying a welding trailer for my offload camping use, so I definitely appreciate the repurposing of a trailer. Keep it up!

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Looks great man, I am modifying a welding trailer for my offload camping use, so I definitely appreciate the repurposing of a trailer. Keep it up!
Mine started out as a welding trailer too. :smiley: It's in my signature below.

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
Building the slideout.. as it continues to snow. Ill Fit 2 6" drawers in the leftover space. My stove & fridge have just enough clearance, once the main bottom section is complete. I'll work on the 8"x40" coffee table style drawer for above it.

Attachments

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
Got the rest of the drawers built. The Top 40" drawer will turn into a coffee table hinge style top. Not going too fancy. Bottom 40" drawer will house my norcold tek2 fridge/freezer and stove at the rear. Along with 2 simple 6" drawers. I'll take the inconvenience of having to close the top drawer for access to the freezer forthe simplicity fact.

Attachments

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
Well the slideout is stained and sealed. No pictures yet. Covid has slowed progress on some areas. I'm also very disappointed at how my "quick & cheap" paint job job lasted over the winter. Lesson learned. Not sure which direction I'll go next. Sand blasting is my ideal option but with working reduced hours it's not the best option. I think this is where I'll mount my battery box.

Attachments

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
Progress on the rear slideout is going well.
Just waiting on some slides and hinges and I'll continue to build the upper drawer.

Tent also came in... damaged.
It was long wait for it. Luckily i havent touched it yet so we will see what happens in the next couple days. Its repairable and I could get a decent discount. Or simply a new one... or maybe even an annex credit.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
Got the rig back from sandblasting today. Laid a few coats of self etching primer instantly. Hopefully this paint job will last. Lesson learned. Read in the instructions, and use enough product. Buck shot will be sprayed on the weekend when there is less traffic in my shop.

Attachments

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

I have 4 jacks total. I'll likely stick with that. Its plenty sturdy with just the 2 side jacks. The tongue jack is purely for loading and unloading. The rear jack I'll always keep handy.
I only asked because the pic with the one centered rear jack wouldn't allow access to the door