Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Haha hey I'm back! And loving the dog pics! Also thanks for all your replies! I turned notifications off to save battery and missed this update during my weekly check-ins for the site.

So it seems like many overlanders in similar situations tend to use dog crates for travel with their pups. We crate trained our dog back in the day, so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch to use one again (still have a couple in basement storage). We just normally have him in backseat with a seatbelt harness on. I think I'd prefer to not have him in a crate if possible...but I'll have to think about that with the girlfriend. My main concern is the driving/traveling. For sleeping arrangements we're good to go; our pups always sleep with us every night. Also, I might have convinced the gf that we should eventually get a cheap trailer that I can modify into an overlanding trailer and put an RTT on top of. But for time being, I'm liking the original idea of low drawer's system in the bed, and peppers rides on top with mattress/padding...just need to find best way to secure him in case of accident or when I need to try to flex on a rock. What I'd REALLY like to do is have a long bed with a cap that we would just sleep in for the night so no need for tent or trailer, but this 5ft shortbed won't fit all of us. That's what I get for getting a manual transmission...3rd gen MTs don't come in a long bed. Another reason automatics might be better for overlanding. :/

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@geekyadam

If you've already got them used to the harness you could easily make a zipline for them in the bed. You could use the bed-rail attachment points or if your shell has interior bolts for the roof rack you could switch one on each side for an eyelet to get the line up high. A Harbor Freight ratchet strap and a couple of carabiners should make it for a few bucks.

Lets not get started on all of the stupid mutual exclusion "options" Toyota has come up with for modern rigs.

Take some pics and post back with your solution an how it works.

Boort

Reactions: geekyadam

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I bet she puts her front feet up and looks back over her shoulder with a big grin and that "come on dad we're goin for a ride" sparkle in her eye.
My St. Bernard A) does the same thing with his front feet, and B) also looks back over his shoulder at me with same expression!

Reactions: Boort