Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Just getting into overlanding and learning. What I do notice is the lack of full sized SUV and trucks. Just wondering who out there is like me rolling in a GMT800 2500 Suburban.

Here is my 2003 Chevy Suburban 2500:

So far ive done some basic suspension work. Congnito leveling kit w/upper control arms, Fox 2.0 monotype shocks, and keys to get 2.5" lift. Then the Congnito steering brace kit that every GM owner should do regardless if lifted or not. Also added the BFG K02 all terrains 285/75/16 essentially 33" tires.

Next up will be to do the 1.5" block and u bolt along with the Fox 2.0to finish out the rear end. Looking to also do the Bilstein steering stabilizer then HD idler arm, inner outer tie rods etc. One more item for the HD setup that will smooth out the ride would be the Silastic shackles/isolators.

Last edited:

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Just getting into overlanding and learning. What I do notice is the lack of full sized SUV and trucks.

I'm just guessing, but the lack of larger SUVs and trucks could be due to weight & size considerations for some. There are those trails where if your vehicle is too wide or too long, it could cause a problem.

But, no matter what you drive, there are so many places to go see. I'm already working on my list of places to go next year for quick weekend getaways!

Just get out!

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

Conflicted feelings with mine. So much interior storage, a very smooth ride on and off road, can tow just about anything, and has been very dependable. Size hasn't been an issue so far. The expedition is one of the least capable things out there. Although I have never gotten stuck, so it isn't that bad all things considered. Probably chalk that up to the tires and taking things nice and easy. I do miss having a truck bed. redneck hot tubs were the best

American Overlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waconia, MN
Member #

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited. I off-road near the Canadian border at International Falls in MN. She handles the deep mud no problem.

Here is a video of a typical trail after some rain. I'm exploring with a friend driving a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Edition.

Attachments

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited. I off-road near the Canadian border at International Falls in MN. She handles the deep mud no problem.

Here is a video of a typical trail after some rain. I'm exploring with a friend driving a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Edition.

Very Nice! I like that platform vs previous verions especially the Tundra TRD package. Good to see other Full-size rigs getting off road. Just have to know your limitations and speed is one of them takes longer to traverse the same terrain vs jeeps/FJ/Taco like twice as long. But I can carry twice as much people n cargo!

Chris Zawacki

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA
Member #

Awesome! Cool to see a full size, especially a Sequoia on tight trails

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Did some suspension work today...

Supersprings Sumo bump stops; made a huge difference in comfort and no body roll lovin it.

The OEM bump stop after 13years!

Also installed a Bilstein 5100 series steering stabilizer boy what a difference like a new truck.