enguneer

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Paulson
I'm pretty new here, but feel like I've found the tribe I didn't know I was looking for. Before I found you all I was thinking my rig was too big to be a real off-road/overland platform. You guys have set me straight, and I'm more in love with this girl than ever before. So thank you!

As you can see, "Babe the Big Blue Ox" is the RV hauler, and has taken us on many adventures with the pictured TT. We've got a solid trophy case of National Park magnets, and it's been a fun family vacation strategy. So I suppose you might say we've been overlanders for 10 years or so....just more of the RVing type, with only minor off-roading. I'm ready to modify that a bit now...

My kids are mid-late teens, and it's harder and harder to plan excursions with the TT, and I'm finding myself getting pulled deeper into the woods. Not that we're abandoning the TT....but I just need to be able to go where it can't, and more quickly. You know what I mean...

Partly because of financial reasons, but partly also for reasons I can't explain, I have a serious DIY bug around the next evolution of our adventures. Redneckery abounds. I'm currently working on a roof basket for the rear. Turns out that old bed frames are a great source of angle iron. Lol... A work-in-progress for sure...

2000 Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L
Procharger D1SC, intercooled, tuned (holy heat, Batman.... hence the hood vents)
Champion 3-core radiator (winter time now...hence the grill blanket!)
Rough Country 3" lift
K02's, 265/75/16
DIY sound system upgrade (deck/amp/sub/wiring/etc)
Spyder headlights

Planned/hopeful additions....
DIY water tank
Clam quick-set tent
Custom front bumper with better intercooler protection
DIY Interior bed platform, shelving and storage
Rear bumper fortification & swing arm for jerry cans
Solar system
Hmmmmmm........IMG_20200125_141626.jpegIMG_20200125_141601.jpegIMG_20200125_141548.jpegIMG_20191007_101315.jpeg

MGF350

Rank I

Contributor III

ventura
First Name
matthew
Last Name
gobuty
Hey all, new to the forum. 99 F350 7.3 sitting on 35's with a self contained 1st gen Phoenix pop up. Still trying to optimize the setup and find a good place to fit a full size spare.

Last summer I did trips to Coyote Flats and Monache Meadows in the Eastern Sierras. Anyone have any trip recommendations in CA or AZ for us fullsizers? I was nearly maxed out on clearance with the camper weaving through the woods on the far side of Monache.

Photo is the rig on its maiden voyage to Baker Campground up in Coyote Flats, back in July '19. It took me about 3 hours to drive the 20 miles from Bishop to the campground, most of it in 4L trying to minimize the abuse to the ol' camper.

coyote flats.JPG

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Hey all, new to the forum. 99 F350 7.3 sitting on 35's with a self contained 1st gen Phoenix pop up. Still trying to optimize the setup and find a good place to fit a full size spare.

Last summer I did trips to Coyote Flats and Monache Meadows in the Eastern Sierras. Anyone have any trip recommendations in CA or AZ for us fullsizers? I was nearly maxed out on clearance with the camper weaving through the woods on the far side of Monache.

Photo is the rig on its maiden voyage to Baker Campground up in Coyote Flats, back in July '19. It took me about 3 hours to drive the 20 miles from Bishop to the campground, most of it in 4L trying to minimize the abuse to the ol' camper.

View attachment 137447
That's one sweet setup!

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB

View attachment 137447
Welcome to the OB community.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I'm pretty new here, but feel like I've found the tribe I didn't know I was looking for. Before I found you all I was thinking my rig was too big to be a real off-road/overland platform. You guys have set me straight, and I'm more in love with this girl than ever before. So thank you!

As you can see, "Babe the Big Blue Ox" is the RV hauler, and has taken us on many adventures with the pictured TT. We've got a solid trophy case of National Park magnets, and it's been a fun family vacation strategy. So I suppose you might say we've been overlanders for 10 years or so....just more of the RVing type, with only minor off-roading. I'm ready to modify that a bit now...

My kids are mid-late teens, and it's harder and harder to plan excursions with the TT, and I'm finding myself getting pulled deeper into the woods. Not that we're abandoning the TT....but I just need to be able to go where it can't, and more quickly. You know what I mean...

Partly because of financial reasons, but partly also for reasons I can't explain, I have a serious DIY bug around the next evolution of our adventures. Redneckery abounds. I'm currently working on a roof basket for the rear. Turns out that old bed frames are a great source of angle iron. Lol... A work-in-progress for sure...

2000 Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L
Procharger D1SC, intercooled, tuned (holy heat, Batman.... hence the hood vents)
Champion 3-core radiator (winter time now...hence the grill blanket!)
Rough Country 3" lift
K02's, 265/75/16
DIY sound system upgrade (deck/amp/sub/wiring/etc)
Spyder headlights

Planned/hopeful additions....
DIY water tank
Clam quick-set tent
Custom front bumper with better intercooler protection
DIY Interior bed platform, shelving and storage
Rear bumper fortification & swing arm for jerry cans
Solar system
Hmmmmmm........View attachment 137152View attachment 137153View attachment 137154View attachment 137155
Welcome to the OB community.

Reactions: enguneer

kaine ellis

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Monticello, GA, USA
First Name
kaine
Last Name
ellis
Member #

How much lift do you have on this truck. What tire size ? What engine ? Any other Mod's you can tell us about.
Really nice rig IMO, thumbs up.
It has a 4" lift, 35x12.50 general grabbers, 4.56 gears front and rear, lockers front and rear, built high angle drive shafts, thats pretty much it for now. New motor, new trans, im in the process of building a roofrack for it now.

Corsair84

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Allen
2017 F350 Dually
S&B Cold Air Intake
EZ Lynk with Tyrant tunes
Fixing to put on a set of 37x12.50r17 BFG KM3
5” straight pipe axle dump
2.5” leveling kit
looking at a new Ranger for my overland rigView attachment 142055

I love the truck bumper! I had one from Road Armor just like that on my Ram 3500.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It has a 4" lift, 35x12.50 general grabbers, 4.56 gears front and rear, lockers front and rear, built high angle drive shafts, thats pretty much it for now. New motor, new trans, im in the process of building a roofrack for it now.
It's a great rig and you seem to have done more than enough to get you too the boonies and back. I don't understand why more people don't build out the oldies rather than let them go to the crusher. I have a 1984 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 long bed that I should do a little more work on like a lift. That's why I asked you how much lift you have. I don't think I need 4" but 2" is definitely needed on mine. I have my Pro Comp 305/70/16's mounted on pro comp 16x10 wheels ready to go but I need that lift for clearance as I don't want to cut my fenders.

Attachments

kaine ellis

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Monticello, GA, USA
First Name
kaine
Last Name
ellis
Member #

It's a great rig and you seem to have done more than enough to get you too the boonies and back. I don't understand why more people don't build out the oldies rather than let them go to the crusher. I have a 1984 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 long bed that I should do a little more work on like a lift. That's why I asked you how much lift you have. I don't think I need 4" but 2" is definitely needed on mine. I have my Pro Comp 305/70/16's mounted on pro comp 16x10 wheels ready to go but I need that lift for clearance as I don't want to cut my fenders.
Yea the 4" is great but it involves alot more than just a lift to make it work properly. If you buy the 2" springs for the front of your truck and run your 33s its plenty for almost anything you ever need.