Launch Member

Contributor II

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Just lift specs, add ons. That kind of stuff. You say you outfitted it with just 4K on the clock. I was just curious what all you changed.
I started with a “6 Fabtech then upgraded to the Dirt Logic struts and shocks later. The truck drove great with the basic system, but the DL upgrades were very noticeable. Volant intake, Edge programmerI couldn’t find a front bumper I liked but the A.D.D. ones were the closest. I was able to talk them into combining two types of bumpers which came out pretty clean IMO. Also, I like original stuff so it doesn’t look like a catalog build.
49225EE5-6F1F-4FF3-AF3B-317178DDA713.jpeg
The only problem is the style bumpers I like aren’t the best for winches. I modified a front hitch receiver to clear the ADD skid plate and plasma’d a hole in the plate to clear the receiver (not pictured). Also rack leads to the rear so I can mount the winch to the back too. The bed rack is an old ConFerr (Defender bought them out in the ‘90’s and I think Smittybilt owns Defender now).
FE17210D-9E9D-402C-A4F9-1A00E703A33F.jpeg
Bed racks weren’t really a thing 9 years ago so I’ll I did was Line-X some angle iron (as well as the bed). Bolted them from the side so it was clean on top. Defender still makes ConFerr’s hinged roof rack mount for gutter less rigs. These worked good because the would fold out of the way when I take the rack out. I put some LED pods on the rack for backup lights since the OE ones are horrible on the trail.
1106AC07-07FB-4502-9A0D-BB4292A59952.png
I put LED lights under the rails with a water proof toggle in the bed. I found an old fender Jerry can mount in a junk yard and mounted it inside the passenger rear to the bed so I could pack a 5 gallon water jug.
One random upgrade that has saved my ass was a bed mat. Kinda redundant with a Line-X’d bed but we sold 3/4” thick mats made out of ground rubber at my previous place of work. They’re great to lay on the ground for an improvised campsite but the best thing was I was able to lay it under my downhill side rear tire and drive over it when I got just a little to far off the trail.
There’s a bunch of other stuff that’s not coming to mind at the moment but that’s the big stuff

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Reactions: highdesert_overland

Maligator

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
OMalley
Nice rig and it looks like nice camping country. Was there a story that went with this outing ?
You shouldn't stay away so long !
Thanks!Just a camping trip my buddies and I do every winter in Greenridge state forest in Marylan. Been doing it for 15 years, used to be a drunk fest but now we're older and it's hunting, fishing, a little drinking and needing to be way more comfortable when we sleep...lol Two of my buddies invested in wall tents with pellet stoves, I've stayed with a normal tent. Beautiful country out there need to go more often

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks!Just a camping trip my buddies and I do every winter in Greenridge state forest in Marylan. Been doing it for 15 years, used to be a drunk fest but now we're older and it's hunting, fishing, a little drinking and needing to be way more comfortable when we sleep...lol Two of my buddies invested in wall tents with pellet stoves, I've stayed with a normal tent. Beautiful country out there need to go more often
Kind of outings I would enjoy. All my friends are in happy hunting grounds now. Be thankful for your friends and memories, they are precious.

Reactions: Maligator

ovrlndafterlife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Nomad
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Di Giorgio
Member #

We have a 2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 with the 6.0L PowerStroke. The engine is bullet proofed with an Edge tuner. It has a small lift with 33's on the stock wheels.
We tow with it so I have to balance off road capability with tow performance. Still excited to get started
IMG_20191214_092313558.jpg
IMG_20191214_100102023_HDR.jpgIMG_20191113_170710310_HDR.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Reactions: ovrlndafterlife

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

Just getting into overlanding and learning. What I do notice is the lack of full sized SUV and trucks. Just wondering who out there is like me rolling in a GMT800 2500 Suburban.

Here is my 2003 Chevy Suburban 2500:

So far ive done some basic suspension work. Congnito leveling kit w/upper control arms, Fox 2.0 monotype shocks, and keys to get 2.5" lift. Then the Congnito steering brace kit that every GM owner should do regardless if lifted or not. Also added the BFG K02 all terrains 285/75/16 essentially 33" tires.

Next up will be to do the 1.5" block and u bolt along with the Fox 2.0to finish out the rear end. Looking to also do the Bilstein steering stabilizer then HD idler arm, inner outer tie rods etc. One more item for the HD setup that will smooth out the ride would be the Silastic shackles/isolators.

I ask myself the same question. I ride a 2010 CrewMax Tundra.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
here's my '85 K30 chev crew. i been working on it since i bought it as a 12 yr old ex forest service truck back in the '90's.
i love old school trucks and have a real fondness for sq body's. this is about my 10th and last square. it does all i need it to, hauls the fam, the camper and the quad trailer.
shortly after i lifted it...really needs something bigger than the stockers:grinning:
View attachment 131434
after sorting everything out, built it to last. frame was coated, under the box and cab, new tanks, springs, exhaust, fuel lines, airbags, brakes, poly mounts and bushings, lockers, etc, etc, etc. also changed about 90% of all the bolts on the entire truck to gr 8
has a 15 000lb reese hitch on the rear and a 8000lb receiver on the front
View attachment 131436View attachment 131448

as it was a FS truck, it was a base model, Custom Deluxe...but there was nothing custom or nothing deluxe about it. had a am radio, guage package and a rubber floor mat and that was it....and was noisy. i installed some auto meter pro comp guages, a kenwood cd (ya, ya, i'm old school) heated, power leather king ranch seats, tilt, rear slider, and some ports in the console for the kids games. to cut noise the entire cab was coated, then slathered in dyna mat and mass loaded vinyl, then a HD vinyl floor matt was added. int used to be tan but i re-did the door panels and a black dash pad and added some bling to the faded dash bezel
View attachment 131444View attachment 131445
all the running gear is stock,with some "enhancements".
454/T400/NP205/D60 fr/14b rr/ 4:56's
axles were rebuilt with lockers, trans was rebuilt with a extra large Derale pan,, t-case resealed and dropped an inch. 10" skyjacker fr springs, HD gm rear leafs, shackle flips, blocks and airbags rear
454 has a edelbrock 2162 cam, pro flo FI, speed pro pistons, some head work, forged crank and a alum rad. hp is 400 and torque 606 at the flywheel.
dual batts, currently running 2 rv 1200 batts with a cutoff for the camper, oil, tranny and ps coolers, block heater, deep sump pan and a 100 amp alt.
as you can see it also has some air horns...heh heh
View attachment 131446
was running the truck like that for yrs, till one day i was following buddy's jeep up a creekbed. with all the ups and downs my steering got a little wonky at times. was running a steering block and a dropped pitman and dropped draglink...sooo off it came and switched to crossover.
View attachment 131454
then just used it. was'nt too worried about paint cause it goes in the bush
then earlier this yr after 20 yrs or so, pulled the trigger, mostly cause my rockers were going because of some rocker mount steps i put on for the wifey...she was wrecking the hinge pins using the door to climb in. also had over 60 asst dents and about 50 holes to fill in from it's forest service lifeView attachment 131447View attachment 131450
pretty much as it sits now, but as always, things will change. future plans are onboard air, power rear slider and some 16x10 steelies with dog dish caps
i switch back and forth between 38"toyo m/t's and 42" swampers. would love to get a set of Mickey T's Baja pro x, if they ever make them in sixteens
i don't name my trucks, but i do call this one "my 4 ton honey" she's a porker, 7800 lbs with half a tank of gas...lol
View attachment 131451
Awesome transformation!

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I started with a “6 Fabtech then upgraded to the Dirt Logic struts and shocks later. The truck drove great with the basic system, but the DL upgrades were very noticeable. Volant intake, Edge programmerI couldn’t find a front bumper I liked but the A.D.D. ones were the closest. I was able to talk them into combining two types of bumpers which came out pretty clean IMO. Also, I like original stuff so it doesn’t look like a catalog build.
View attachment 131052
The only problem is the style bumpers I like aren’t the best for winches. I modified a front hitch receiver to clear the ADD skid plate and plasma’d a hole in the plate to clear the receiver (not pictured). Also rack leads to the rear so I can mount the winch to the back too. The bed rack is an old ConFerr (Defender bought them out in the ‘90’s and I think Smittybilt owns Defender now).
View attachment 131051
Bed racks weren’t really a thing 9 years ago so I’ll I did was Line-X some angle iron (as well as the bed). Bolted them from the side so it was clean on top. Defender still makes ConFerr’s hinged roof rack mount for gutter less rigs. These worked good because the would fold out of the way when I take the rack out. I put some LED pods on the rack for backup lights since the OE ones are horrible on the trail.
View attachment 131047
I put LED lights under the rails with a water proof toggle in the bed. I found an old fender Jerry can mount in a junk yard and mounted it inside the passenger rear to the bed so I could pack a 5 gallon water jug.
One random upgrade that has saved my ass was a bed mat. Kinda redundant with a Line-X’d bed but we sold 3/4” thick mats made out of ground rubber at my previous place of work. They’re great to lay on the ground for an improvised campsite but the best thing was I was able to lay it under my downhill side rear tire and drive over it when I got just a little to far off the trail.
There’s a bunch of other stuff that’s not coming to mind at the moment but that’s the big stuff
Love the ITS Tactical emblem! Bumper looks great!

Reactions: Wampa150

AnthonyD1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
D
here's my '85 K30 chev crew. i been working on it since i bought it as a 12 yr old ex forest service truck back in the '90's.
i love old school trucks and have a real fondness for sq body's. this is about my 10th and last square. it does all i need it to, hauls the fam, the camper and the quad trailer.
shortly after i lifted it...really needs something bigger than the stockers:grinning:
View attachment 131434
after sorting everything out, built it to last. frame was coated, under the box and cab, new tanks, springs, exhaust, fuel lines, airbags, brakes, poly mounts and bushings, lockers, etc, etc, etc. also changed about 90% of all the bolts on the entire truck to gr 8
has a 15 000lb reese hitch on the rear and a 8000lb receiver on the front
View attachment 131436View attachment 131448

as it was a FS truck, it was a base model, Custom Deluxe...but there was nothing custom or nothing deluxe about it. had a am radio, guage package and a rubber floor mat and that was it....and was noisy. i installed some auto meter pro comp guages, a kenwood cd (ya, ya, i'm old school) heated, power leather king ranch seats, tilt, rear slider, and some ports in the console for the kids games. to cut noise the entire cab was coated, then slathered in dyna mat and mass loaded vinyl, then a HD vinyl floor matt was added. int used to be tan but i re-did the door panels and a black dash pad and added some bling to the faded dash bezel
View attachment 131444View attachment 131445
all the running gear is stock,with some "enhancements".
454/T400/NP205/D60 fr/14b rr/ 4:56's
axles were rebuilt with lockers, trans was rebuilt with a extra large Derale pan,, t-case resealed and dropped an inch. 10" skyjacker fr springs, HD gm rear leafs, shackle flips, blocks and airbags rear
454 has a edelbrock 2162 cam, pro flo FI, speed pro pistons, some head work, forged crank and a alum rad. hp is 400 and torque 606 at the flywheel.
dual batts, currently running 2 rv 1200 batts with a cutoff for the camper, oil, tranny and ps coolers, block heater, deep sump pan and a 100 amp alt.
as you can see it also has some air horns...heh heh
View attachment 131446
was running the truck like that for yrs, till one day i was following buddy's jeep up a creekbed. with all the ups and downs my steering got a little wonky at times. was running a steering block and a dropped pitman and dropped draglink...sooo off it came and switched to crossover.
View attachment 131454
then just used it. was'nt too worried about paint cause it goes in the bush
then earlier this yr after 20 yrs or so, pulled the trigger, mostly cause my rockers were going because of some rocker mount steps i put on for the wifey...she was wrecking the hinge pins using the door to climb in. also had over 60 asst dents and about 50 holes to fill in from it's forest service lifeView attachment 131447View attachment 131450
pretty much as it sits now, but as always, things will change. future plans are onboard air, power rear slider and some 16x10 steelies with dog dish caps
i switch back and forth between 38"toyo m/t's and 42" swampers. would love to get a set of Mickey T's Baja pro x, if they ever make them in sixteens
i don't name my trucks, but i do call this one "my 4 ton honey" she's a porker, 7800 lbs with half a tank of gas...lol
View attachment 131451
Awesome!

Reactions: Big G

Traildog44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Fort Myers, FL, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Oliver
Member #

If it's just you or you and a passenger, I think the smaller size is the way to go. If you have a growing family, the larger rig will be beneficial.
There is no right or wrong rig. It's what you like and want. If you like big go for it. I see big rigs at Moab doing the same thing smaller rigs do, so I would never put down the size or the (make) Suburban. It's what you do with it that determines the ability of the rig.
Thanks, that info actually helps a lot. One of the things I wonder about is, “if I spend thousands of dollars setting this rig up, will it go where I want” and if your seeing full size rigs in Moab, then that I think pretty much answers my question [emoji106]