Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
Anyone running a portable figure out a good way to mount to the battery beside clamp on? Been looking at the 88p and was thinking of cutting off the clamps for a plug of some sort like an Anderson or something from NOCO. And putting a hardwire female lead off the battery I could just stick through the grill. Sort of like a trickle charge setup
Mostly so I don't have to pop the hood or sit there and listen to people ask if everything is OK 15 times at the beach. Lol
That's a good idea. I'm also curious what people have come up with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
Anyone running a portable figure out a good way to mount to the battery beside clamp on? Been looking at the 88p and was thinking of cutting off the clamps for a plug of some sort like an Anderson or something from NOCO. And putting a hardwire female lead off the battery I could just stick through the grill. Sort of like a trickle charge setup
Mostly so I don't have to pop the hood or sit there and listen to people ask if everything is OK 15 times at the beach. Lol
hmmm... got a cheap extension cord laying around? cut, ring terminals, splice, done...

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
hmmm... got a cheap extension cord laying around? cut, ring terminals, splice, done...
That's kind of my thought, just do the ring terminals off the battery. just debating on a plug type. I like the NOCO X-Connect but they only make they only make them with a 10 amp fuse, I'm thinking a simple swap out to a higher amp fuse should be fine though. It is only 16awg though as well. I could maybe do an SAE style plug but not sure of voltage loss in those?

MFreese-0295

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Napa County CA (Calistoga)
First Name
Matt
Last Name
FREESE
Member #

I went with the ARB twin air compressor it mounted nicely under the hood. Next is to plum the air line out to the front so I dont have to lift the hood to plug in.

Reactions: Romer

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

One more vote for the ARB single compressor. Works great for me. Had to make a bracket to install, but they do sell them and I am just cheap and want to do it myself. Bracket made for front passenger side of T4R.IMG_0002.JPG

Reactions: Romer

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I also use the Viair 88P. Haven't had to use it out on a trail yet but I've aired up my tires in the driveway several times. As mentioned, it does run noticeably hot. Haven't had any troubles yet. Thinking about a Road Shower so the 88P should be a good match for it.

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

I ran the Smittybilt 2781 and modified it for on-board air. I had it mounted next to a air tank where the spare tire used to sit. Two issues, it doesn't have a good filter, and it didn't like being submerged. I bought another as it filled the tires up real well, it is cheep for the CFM, and it was 20% off. I will be mounting it in the bed next to my fridge slide. I might or might not figure out a real air filter for it. Shouldn't be a issue mounted in the bed. Note: It does draw a crap ton of amps so I ended up using a starter relay for the switch in my application rather than the standard bosh relay.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ill give another vote for the Viar 400P. It is rated for 35s and airs up a 265/75/16 from 20 to 34 in about a minute flat.
Seriously, best investment Ive made. I got it for 170 bucks off Amazon.
IMO the ARB air compressors are overrated and overpriced. Unless your going to run air lockers they aren't worth the investment.
I've the same in my kit.. great bang for the buck

Reactions: Arizona Overland

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I haven't even thought about doing something like this, but it does seem like a good idea. If you do this please let us know how it works .

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
I have had a Thomas oil-less compressor for maybe 20 years, so no oil changes required. I think it is 100% duty cycle. I rebuilt it finally after 20+ years, runs great! Mounted beside the engine, on the frame, in my FJ60. Runs my air horn, ARB locker and airs up tires fast.

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I converted a YORK air-conditioning compressor. Well, there's not really much "converting." My vehicle didn't come with air conditioning. But other vehicles with my engine did. So I went to the junk yard, found a vehicle with my same engine, and stripped the compressor, brackets, and pulleys. Went home and mounted it on my vehicle. A longer fan-belt makes it go. A few trips to the hardware store and I had the correct fittings to connect a pressure switch and the air hoses. Then I found a small air tank and connected that in my air line. A few quick-connects and I've got a respectable on-board air compressor system!

One note- the air conditioning compressors require lubrication. Normally the refrigerant has some lubricant in it. No more refrigerant = no more lubricant. But that is easily solved. I just manually add some lube from time to time. I also mounted a little air filter to the air intake.
Old post, but I'd hope you figured out by now that a York has its own oil sump. The oil will get sucked into the "air" passages which requires you to either modify the compressor so it no longer vents or add an oil/air separator. Sanden's and other rotary compressors use generally use PAG oil in the refrigerant lines to lubricate the compressor and don't have a separate sump like the York's. I run regular 30w in my York since it's just pushing air.

I used to have a hard-mounted Quick Air 2 but it was super slow. Better than nothing but with the low CFM (1.19 CFM @0 psi) It took forever to fill my old 32's from 15 to 35 psi. I think even a 225/70R15 took several minutes as well (0-35 psi). (It wasn't 100% duty cycle if I remember.) Now, I have a CCI/York in my Jeep. I've had two different setups. One was for engines without A/C, the York sat where the OEM compressor and would use a 5-rib serpentine belt that ran all the other accessories. The current setup I have has the compressor mounted next to the OEM compressor and used a small V-groove belt off of the alternator. This allows me to maintain the factor A/C while having OBA as well. I also have a 2.5 gallon air tank mounted under the Jeep.

From what I've seen, the dual ARB, while expensive is about as fast as my York at idle, 700 rpm @90 psi. Plenty for getting 33-35's from 15-35 psi. in a reasonable amount of time. Though with more RPM, the York's are able to produce 6-8 CFM a@90 psi. If I couldn't fit a York to the engine, I'd probably be running a twin ARB compressor for simplicity. If you don't have A/C then converting the Factory A/C compressor to air is fairly simple. Another option is CO2 like the Power Tank.

Last edited:

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Well I applaud the creativity but I am a child of the South and AC it's a requirement in my vehicles. I was thinking more along the lines of a propose built unit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Depending on the vehicle you have it is possible to convert a york compressor for OBA but still retain factory A/C. Obviously the york takes up room in the engine bay, and the brackets have to be made, but certain models will have these items available, like for my FZJ80 Landcruiser. But I went with a Twin ARB instead.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Ill give another vote for the Viar 400P. It is rated for 35s and airs up a 265/75/16 from 20 to 34 in about a minute flat.
Seriously, best investment Ive made. I got it for 170 bucks off Amazon.
IMO the ARB air compressors are overrated and overpriced. Unless your going to run air lockers they aren't worth the investment.
I had a Viar 400P and it decided to blow the piston one day on the trail not fun. Probably should have bought the 450P for the 100% duty cycle.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

20171229_175146.jpg
I have entirely too many projects for my landcruiser! Have to do some electrical work before I wire this in.
20171227_170059.jpg
By going with bigger compressors, you get more output, but you gotta spend more to make it happen.

Nomad00XJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Littleton, CO
Member #

+1 for ARB, just finished the install about 2 hours ago. I wanted something clean and out of the way so under the hood was the best option, plus I have ARB lockers so that ruled out a portable solution.