Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Let's talk about air compressors. I am looking for an air compressor for airing up tires. My question is what is best an on board system or a portable system and who is making quality units these days. Right now I am leaning towards ARB but surely about company is out there making a quality unit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gotrovr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, CA
Member #

I went ARB twin portable since no room for on board in my case. On board is definitely more convenient.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I converted a YORK air-conditioning compressor. Well, there's not really much "converting." My vehicle didn't come with air conditioning. But other vehicles with my engine did. So I went to the junk yard, found a vehicle with my same engine, and stripped the compressor, brackets, and pulleys. Went home and mounted it on my vehicle. A longer fan-belt makes it go. A few trips to the hardware store and I had the correct fittings to connect a pressure switch and the air hoses. Then I found a small air tank and connected that in my air line. A few quick-connects and I've got a respectable on-board air compressor system!

One note- the air conditioning compressors require lubrication. Normally the refrigerant has some lubricant in it. No more refrigerant = no more lubricant. But that is easily solved. I just manually add some lube from time to time. I also mounted a little air filter to the air intake.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I converted a YORK air-conditioning compressor. Well, there's not really much "converting." My vehicle didn't come with air conditioning. But other vehicles with my engine did. So I went to the junk yard, found a vehicle with my same engine, and stripped the compressor, brackets, and pulleys. Went home and mounted it on my vehicle. A longer fan-belt makes it go. A few trips to the hardware store and I had the correct fittings to connect a pressure switch and the air hoses. Then I found a small air tank and connected that in my air line. A few quick-connects and I've got a respectable on-board air compressor system!

One note- the air conditioning compressors require lubrication. Normally the refrigerant has some lubricant in it. No more refrigerant = no more lubricant. But that is easily solved. I just manually add some lube from time to time. I also mounted a little air filter to the air intake.
Well I applaud the creativity but I am a child of the South and AC it's a requirement in my vehicles. I was thinking more along the lines of a propose built unit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis

Romer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Pollos
Member #

I have the single ARB compressor. Does fine with my Slee OffRoad bracket in my Tacoma and airs up my 285/75-16s from 10 psi to 40 in about two and a half minutes each.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have the Viair 88P which is under $60 on amazon right now. I haven't used it yet but it does get good reviews.

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
I have the Viair 88P which is under $60 on amazon right now. I haven't used it yet but it does get good reviews.
I have the same, picked it up a couple weeks ago. It does run hot, but that doesn't much bother me. It'll take a dead flat 235/75/15 and run it up to 35psi in 4 minutes (as I learned when I discovered a nail in my tire yesterday after work). I reckon a dead flat 33 would be about 5-6 min, and less if you're just aired down some. For the $, I think it'll probably be one of the best. If you're running larger than 33", though, something larger would be advised. It has only a 45% runtime, so some cool-down time would likely be required if you're filling all 4 tires from low pressures (4.5min running, 5.5min cooling).

The warrantee is likely the weakspot of the whole thing. 1 year, which is common, but they demand so much in shipping charges that it's cheaper just to buy another. There are no serviceable parts either.

All in all, it's working out great for me. Should I kill it, I'll go ahead and plan to spend much more money on something that is serviceable and has closer to a 100% duty cycle.

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have the same, picked it up a couple weeks ago. It does run hot, but that doesn't much bother me. It'll take a dead flat 235/75/15 and run it up to 35psi in 4 minutes (as I learned when I discovered a nail in my tire yesterday after work). I reckon a dead flat 33 would be about 5-6 min, and less if you're just aired down some. For the $, I think it'll probably be one of the best. If you're running larger than 33", though, something larger would be advised. It has only a 45% runtime, so some cool-down time would likely be required if you're filling all 4 tires from low pressures (4.5min running, 5.5min cooling).

The warrantee is likely the weakspot of the whole thing. 1 year, which is common, but they demand so much in shipping charges that it's cheaper just to buy another. There are no serviceable parts either.

All in all, it's working out great for me. Should I kill it, I'll go ahead and plan to spend much more money on something that is serviceable and has closer to a 100% duty cycle.
I was actually looking up duty cycle information on their page and found the following:

http://www.viaircorp.com/portables/88p/

upload_2017-6-6_15-54-13.png

Max duty cycle up to 25 min @ 30 psi.. So I only air my tires down to roughly 18-20 psi when needed, and run them just over 30 normally. They also state the following:

upload_2017-6-6_15-56-8.png

So if it takes 3 min to air up 15-30 on a 33", I can't imagine it would be more than 4 min on the 35". Times 4, that's only 16 min. So if I understand this all correctly, I should be more than fine. I have also read it has a 45% duty cycle, so if I run it up to the max 25 min, just let it rest for ~30min before using it again.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
hmmmmm... wonder where I saw the 45% duty cycle at... Seeing that it claims a 25min run, I feel much better about it, especially since it'll get a wee bit of cool-down between tires...

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB

Varthn

Rank 0

Traveler I

I use a P.I. Auto Store portable compressor. Its compact (fits in my underseat box), digital, approx $40 on Amazon and hasnt let me down yet. Just plug it into a 12v outlet, set the psi and let it work. It usually takes approx 2-3 minutes per tire to go from 20psi back up to 38.

Last edited:

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Ill give another vote for the Viar 400P. It is rated for 35s and airs up a 265/75/16 from 20 to 34 in about a minute flat.
Seriously, best investment Ive made. I got it for 170 bucks off Amazon.
IMO the ARB air compressors are overrated and overpriced. Unless your going to run air lockers they aren't worth the investment.

Reactions: The Nothing

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
I use the Viair 88P on my 4Runner with BFG KO2S at 265/70/17. They air up quickly. Haven't yet had to fill a flat, but I'm confident it will do the job well.

I would move up a model if you frequently plan to share your air. This is a personal solution for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I'm using the Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt Air Compressor from Amazon. $74 and I've used it to pump up my 285-70-17 from 25-30 to 45 in no time. Hardwired mine under my hood on a custom mount. Love it.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Anyone running a portable figure out a good way to mount to the battery beside clamp on? Been looking at the 88p and was thinking of cutting off the clamps for a plug of some sort like an Anderson or something from NOCO. And putting a hardwire female lead off the battery I could just stick through the grill. Sort of like a trickle charge setup
Mostly so I don't have to pop the hood or sit there and listen to people ask if everything is OK 15 times at the beach. Lol