Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Welp checked online and my local walmart's don't carry the singles either, shipping only, but damn the full canned prices are $1 less than the local grocery store chains.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Or are you implying you get two very huge slices from a can? :blush:
ha! yeah, i actually tried that, but cutting it where you get 4-5 slices from a can works best, tastes better when that thickness and seared. the wife and i can both get 2-3 breakfasts each from a can. pretty much on par with sausage or bacon and i really do like the taste. as i said on here earlier in the thread, i was stationed at pearl harbor and there was a food truck that came to the shipyard at morning break with bowls of spam/rice/egg. i still make that for breakfast 35 yrs later

1685660554069.png

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

ha! yeah, i actually tried that, but cutting it where you get 4-5 slices from a can works best, tastes better when that thickness and seared. the wife and i can both get 2-3 breakfasts each from a can. pretty much on par with sausage or bacon and i really do like the taste. as i said on here earlier in the thread, i was stationed at pearl harbor and there was a food truck that came to the shipyard at morning break with bowls of spam/rice/egg. i still make that for breakfast 35 yrs later

View attachment 259259
What's your recipe for the spam/rice/egg?

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
What's your recipe for the spam/rice/egg?
for that, i like to cut the SPAM into thinner strips and fry them to a good sear. remove from the pan and add more oil and scramble a couple eggs and then when they are pretty firm, i'll add the rice and stir that around and then add in the SPAM after i chop it up into pieces. i dont season it much, maybe dust it with powdered garlic and a little black pepper or just top with a sweet chili sauce if i have some around. if i use a flavored can, then i just pretty much just go with that as the only seasoning. love this for breakfast camping since it is a one pan dish and gives a good bit of protein and carbs to start the day.

as far as a recipe goes...i noticed that mcdonalds had this dish on their menu in hawaii and the SPAM/rice/egg were served separate. the roach coach that came down to the shipyard served it mixed together in a cardboard boat that fries come in covered with saran wrap and served with a plastic spork. i preferred it mixed together and that is how i still do it. i still remember feeling the heat from the bottom of the carboard bowl and the condensation collected under the plastic wrap and then that delicious aroma when pulling the plastic wrap back. i couldnt get the wrapper off my plastic spork fast enough...pretty much the highlight of my navy career :grinning:

1685708158114.png

Last edited:

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

for that, i like to cut the SPAM into thinner strips and fry them to a good sear. remove from the pan and add more oil and scramble a couple eggs and then when they are pretty firm, i'll add the rice and stir that around and then add in the SPAM after i chop it up into pieces. i dont season it much, maybe dust it with powdered garlic and a little black pepper or just top with a sweet chili sauce if i have some around. if i use a flavored can, then i just pretty much just go with that as the only seasoning. love this for breakfast camping since it is a one pan dish and gives a good bit of protein and carbs to start the day.

as far as a recipe goes...i noticed that mcdonalds had this dish on their menu in hawaii and the SPAM/rice/egg were served separate. the roach coach that came down to the shipyard served it mixed together in a cardboard boat that fries come in covered with saran wrap and served with a plastic spork. i preferred it mixed together and that is how i still do it. i still remember feeling the heat from the bottom of the carboard bowl and the condensation collected under the plastic wrap and then that delicious aroma when pulling the plastic wrap back. i couldnt get the wrapper off my plastic spork fast enough...pretty much the highlight of my navy career :grinning:

View attachment 259280
McDonald's isn't getting it crispy enough for my liking! I found this to be true of other places I have had SPAM in Hawaii, or really any restaurant I have ordered it at. I like mine a medium dark with some crispy edges.

Last edited:

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

View attachment 259280
Thanks!

Reactions: grubworm

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

So I was in my local Dollar Tree when I spotted small cans of fake Spam. Celebrity brand Luncheon Meat I think it was. I thought "I've gotta try it" so I purchased 2 cans. I arrived home, and when I was putting them in the cupboard, I saw something......THEY HAVE A KEY TO OPEN THE CAN! Suddenly my mind transported me back to 1980 at Pine Hill Scout Reservation and twisting the key to open Spam cans!
So now I sit typing this, trying to stop the bleeding on my fingers, thinking of the money I'll save not having to buy Gillette Razors :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Oh, and the meat wasn't too bad. I'd say better than Armour Treet!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
So I was in my local Dollar Tree when I spotted small cans of fake Spam. Celebrity brand Luncheon Meat I think it was. I thought "I've gotta try it" so I purchased 2 cans. I arrived home, and when I was putting them in the cupboard, I saw something......THEY HAVE A KEY TO OPEN THE CAN! Suddenly my mind transported me back to 1980 at Pine Hill Scout Reservation and twisting the key to open Spam cans!
So now I sit typing this, trying to stop the bleeding on my fingers, thinking of the money I'll save not having to buy Gillette Razors :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Oh, and the meat wasn't too bad. I'd say better than Armour Treet!
man, i forgot about that! i remember using the key to open Spam when i was a kid. same key sardine cans used

1686709462670.png

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Semi related but for sure aging myself. Remember the soda can/beer can pull tabs of the 1970's? They used to be scattered everywhere when I was a kid and I remember them switching to the style we have today where is stays attached.

A few weeks ago camping remotely I found one of the old pull tabs in the yellow post campsite I was at as I was doing a little cleanup to leave it better than I found it. It wasn't at all rusted so it made me wonder if some products still use them? (Note not my picture, just a representation for the youngins!)

1686757448995.png

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Semi related but for sure aging myself. Remember the soda can/beer can pull tabs of the 1970's? They used to be scattered everywhere when I was a kid and I remember them switching to the style we have today where is stays attached.

A few weeks ago camping remotely I found one of the old pull tabs in the yellow post campsite I was at as I was doing a little cleanup to leave it better than I found it. It wasn't at all rusted so it made me wonder if some products still use them? (Note not my picture, just a representation for the youngins!)

View attachment 260230
Pull tabs were always aluminum, so no real corrosion issues buried at a campsite. I find one every other year or so. One trip I found three.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and grubworm