First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
has anyone seen teriyaki SPAM anywhere?

i've hit every walmart and dollar general in a 50 mile radius and NO teriyaki SPAM. not sure what covid has to do with flavored SPAM going MIA....:rage:

View attachment 203844
I will be on the hunt for this now! Spam and Rice is a staple meal in my house!

TPolley

Rank I

Enthusiast I

So California
First Name
Terri
Last Name
Polley
oh a juicy spam n cheese n fried egg breakfast sandwich... a cobb salad topped with fried juilenned spam straws, spam masubi's with sweet teriaki, cubed stir fried spam tossed with fried rice and peasncarrots! Spam and a cheesy elbows mac n cheese!! spam and melt in your mouth yukon gold dutch oven potatoes .... I couldgo on....

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Wish I could eat spam again... a thick slice exceeds my sodium intake for the day
yeah, anything processed is going to be sky high in salt or sugar...or both. i do several dishes where i use SPAM as a seasoning, so instead of adding salt, i just fry a skinny piece of SPAM and use it. kind of like using a piece of bacon to crumble over a baked potato or a salad. i'll open a can and it will last a week using it like that. a fried egg and tomato sandwich with a really thin slice of crispy SPAM...prob about the same sodium if i used a salt based seasoning on the egg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
yeah, anything processed is going to be sky high in salt or sugar...or both. i do several dishes where i use SPAM as a seasoning, so instead of adding salt, i just fry a skinny piece of SPAM and use it. kind of like using a piece of bacon to crumble over a baked potato or a salad. i'll open a can and it will last a week using it like that. a fried egg and tomato sandwich with a really thin slice of crispy SPAM...prob about the same sodium if i used a salt based seasoning on the egg
Oh man just got out of hospital after suffering from a poor diet. Doc took me off of all fried foods, even eggs. I dont know how I'm gonna survive without potatoes am red meat and spam even in small amounts. Luckily I dont have to fry spam to like it right out of the can.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Oh man just got out of hospital after suffering from a poor diet. Doc took me off of all fried foods, even eggs. I dont know how I'm gonna survive without potatoes am red meat and spam even in small amounts. Luckily I dont have to fry spam to like it right out of the can.
how are you making out?
that's rough not eating fried food...everything down here is fried. i guess you could eat baked chicken and eat baked potatoes and veggies done in the oven. i have an air fryer and can cook a lot of dishes in it without oil...might be worth looking into.
walmart has several for around the $60 range

1630084639824.png

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Update for my OB friends. The colon cancer has moved into my right lung. I'm scheduled to have it radiated over the next few weeks. The oncologist has high hopes of getting it but it obviously was there even before I had the colon cancer. They are not calling it lung cancer because they say it came from my colon and is therefore still called colon cancer.
Definitely has canceled all my plans to come visit several of you guys in the gulf region and pacific NW area.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
how are you making out?
that's rough not eating fried food...everything down here is fried. i guess you could eat baked chicken and eat baked potatoes and veggies done in the oven. i have an air fryer and can cook a lot of dishes in it without oil...might be worth looking into.
walmart has several for around the $60 range

View attachment 208067
Got one and they are great. Still it's the kind of food that's giving me problems, potatoes are out for life sadly. No more cashew nuts as I found out the hard way this week.

Reactions: Shahn

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Update for my OB friends. The colon cancer has moved into my right lung. I'm scheduled to have it radiated over the next few weeks. The oncologist has high hopes of getting it but it obviously was there even before I had the colon cancer. They are not calling it lung cancer because they say it came from my colon and is therefore still called colon cancer.
Definitely has canceled all my plans to come visit several of you guys in the gulf region and pacific NW area.
damn...that's a pain, but i'm sure the doc can get it. they have some really good cancer treatments now that they didnt have in the past and they seem to be pretty good. looks like some possible travel restrictions anyway and we cancelled our big trip out west and to the PNW in sept/oct. so you might not really be missing that much and hopefully that will be a good time for you to heal up and then go after the covid mess gets better.

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Sorry to hear about your cancer Lanlubber.
My first years were spent living on Guam during the Vietnam War. We ate a lot of SPAM. If supply ships were slow to the island, you ate whatever was on the shelves. I fried some up for my kids when they got old enough to eat it. It was a good day for me because I got to eat all the sandwiches they wouldn't touch.
Grilled cheese and SPAM. Yummo. Flame away.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
So I grew up in SE Minnesota about 50 miles from Austin, never been to the SPAM museum but might have to visit there on my next trip back home! Yep, grew up eating SPAM but haven't had it since my early Air Force days. I've added it to my list of things to take on my 7 day camping road trip to visit Overland Expo East next month!

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
Scott,

Where in SE MN were you? I was raised in Rochester before Uncle Sam said come see me! Left there in 1967 and only go back to visit family. I miss the change of seasons - don't get that here in Tejas - but not the winters.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Scott,

Where in SE MN were you? I was raised in Rochester before Uncle Sam said come see me! Left there in 1967 and only go back to visit family. I miss the change of seasons - don't get that here in Tejas - but not the winters.
I grew up in small town called Viola about 10 miles East of the North side of Rochester, went to Dover-Eyota High School! I left for the Air Force in 1988, basic training in San Antonio, Tech School in Wichita Falls before they sent me to Spain and then Florida. Decided to stay in Florida, no snow and it never gets close to the 40 below zero I remember growing up in MN! We get a change of season here in NW Florida and it's pretty nice most of the winter. Kind of like having a MN Fall for about 6 months!

Last edited:
Reactions: DeltaBravo

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
A little protein snack, instead of the usual Cookie carbs:grin:

I believe Grubworm, you have covered every holiday this year, Hormel should acknowledge your salesmanship........:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: and it has been entertaining. I look forward to 2021
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Above is post count 537, and yes, it has slowed down on a thread I never knew so little about. Here it is almost Oct 1st of 2021, with 3 major holidays to go. Kicking back for the yearly wrap-up and anticipating what surprising end to the year will be.

PS: Some of the recipes have been very inspirational for both camp and kitchen. Great Job everyone.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
I think it was Marie Antoinette that said "Let them eat cake" and they chopped off her head. 225 years later, and I get the same reaction to Spam. Wife won't touch it, kids run from it, and even the roaches scurry around it. I don't get it. When I pop open a can of Spam and that big gelatinous lump falls onto the paper plate still holding the shape of the can, my mouth can't help but water. Its a delicate balance of salt, fat and nitrites that make my taste buds tingle. (My left arm also starts tingling after eating a can for some reason). I think its the perfect food... no refrigeration, indefinite shelf life, and you don't even need a can opener. Even after opening a can, the contents can stay out a long time and are still as good as the day it was congealed at the factory.

All I know is that if eating Spam is wrong, I don't ever want to be right! So, for all the Spam eaters out there...raise your plastic spork in a toast to the world's most perfect food! Did I say toast? Yeah, Spam goes great on that, too!
Musubi! a little taste of paradise

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres