Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

BeyondthePines

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I am traveling down thru Cali from Oregon next week to pick up my FJ80 and I am curious about how I can bring a handgun with me for protection legally. I can CCW in Oregon but I know cali does not recognize any other states CCW so if some Cali folks can help steer me in the right direction that would be awesome. I will only be in I5 and will only be in the state for 20 hours driving straight down to L.A. and then back up to Oregon.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I am traveling down thru Cali from Oregon next week to pick up my FJ80 and I am curious about how I can bring a handgun with me for protection legally. I can CCW in Oregon but I know cali does not recognize any other states CCW so if some Cali folks can help steer me in the right direction that would be awesome. I will only be in I5 and will only be in the state for 20 hours driving straight down to L.A. and then back up to Oregon.
The Peoples Republic of California says:
"Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment."

Take it from someone who was born and raised here, get in and out as fast as you can ;-)

BeyondthePines

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

The Peoples Republic of California says:
"Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment."

Take it from someone who was born and raised here, get in and out as fast as you can ;-)
Thank you Brother. I will be in my f350 so I don't have a trunk to lock it in but I will bring a locking gun box of some kind to be compliant. And I have only been down in Cali a few times and all of which have been very short stays because of strict laws of all kinds. Which is a bummer because CA has some of the most beautiful wilderness in the country.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Thank you Brother. I will be in my f350 so I don't have a trunk to lock it in but I will bring a locking gun box of some kind to be compliant. And I have only been down in Cali a few times and all of which have been very short stays because of strict laws of all kinds. Which is a bummer because CA has some of the most beautiful wilderness in the country.
I've been told that you can even use a tiny padlock connecting the zipper to the ring on a soft case like this...

wm_3093128.jpg

Just don't bring any mags that hold more than 10 rounds :-(

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We will be heading out up into the mountains after work this afternoon, and this little shotty will be accompanying us. I pretty much take it everywhere when we are out on an adventure, camping, etc...unless we are crossing into the States. It's about 31" overall (12" barrel) which makes it pretty compact to carry around, either with the sling, or in a scabbard on my backpack.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I typically take some combination of this trio, depending on the destination...

IMG_4184.PNG

I like the collapsing stocks, both to save space, and because it enables my girlfriend to shoot (with a proper fit) as well.

The 10/22 gets really small...

IMG_4186.PNG

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I would love a 10/22 Takedown, I didn't know you could do a side-fold adjustable stock on those.
When I bought that stock, they didn't make them for the take-down model. If you look closely, you can see that I cut the buttstock in half, and used the factory forend. It's not perfect, but most people don't notice unless I point it out.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
The bottom one is my truck gun and goes everywhere with me and if I am camping in state I'll bring an NFA item or two in its place

Those are both awesome firearms, but for someone reading this thread to get information about which guns they should use for Overlanding,... I'd stick with a handgun because you'll have it within reach at all times. I like the .357 because of its versatility. It shoots .357 Mag (more punch than most semi autos), 38 Special (less recoil for female shooters), and shot shells (for snakes). If you want a second option, I'd go with a shotgun (birdshot for birds & small game - 00 buck for self defense - slugs for bears). If you want something for long range, with more capacity than a Deer Rifle, then consider an AR10 variant (.308/7.62).

BeyondthePines

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Those are both awesome firearms, but for someone reading this thread to get information about which guns they should use for Overlanding,... I'd stick with a handgun because you'll have it within reach at all times. I like the .357 because of its versatility. It shoots .357 Mag (more punch than most semi autos), 38 Special (less recoil for female shooters), and shot shells (for snakes). If you want a second option, I'd go with a shotgun (birdshot for birds & small game - 00 buck for self defense - slugs for bears). If you want something for long range, with more capacity than a Deer Rifle, then consider an AR10 variant (.308/7.62).
There is nothing wrong with bringing an ar15 on your overlanding adventures. That being said those are good options as well.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
There is nothing wrong with bringing an ar15 on your overlanding adventures. That being said those are good options as well.
Of course not! I'm just saying, for those looking for advice (the point of this thread), that the .223 is a "one trick pony" (too much for a bird or a squirrel, barely enough for a deer, and not enough for a bear). That's all.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

the .223 is a "one trick pony" (too much for a bird or a squirrel, barely enough for a deer, and not enough for a bear). That's all.
This is why my "truck gun" is chambered in 300 Blackout! Serious step up in muzzle energy, for a slight decrease in "reach out and touch someone" abilities.

Also, for ease of access, I have a 1911 in a kydex holster mounted under the dash.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

As someone who doesn't even own a gun, I can't relate to the always armed thing. Do you live somewhere you feel threatened constantly? This is in no way an anti-gun post, I'm just curious is all. I love to go shooting, just never considered owning so much firepower.
To me, guns are no different than seatbelts or fire extinguishers. They are tools which are available for me to defend life and property.

Do I expect to need a medium-caliber rifle and pistol, both with multiple extra magazines, every time I leave the house? Absolutely not!! (If I did feel that way, then I'd be moving somewhere safer). HOWEVER... If I am ever caught in the middle of a mass-shooting scenario, or someone attempts to carjack me... I will be very glad I have the necessary tools available to protect myself and those around me.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

As someone who doesn't even own a gun, I can't relate to the always armed thing. Do you live somewhere you feel threatened constantly? This is in no way an anti-gun post, I'm just curious is all. I love to go shooting, just never considered owning so much firepower.
I carry everyday and not because I feel threatened, I do it because I like to. Other peoples reasons are different.