Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I have a Sig p365 for my edc. I like it
Having been a Sig owner for a lot a years the 365 really interest me due to the size & capacity. If i was starting over I may have jumped on one but being I am heavily invested in Glocks, and M&P shields when in need smaller, I just have a hard time justifying another platform when what I works.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I wasnt a fan of the 365 sig. i got one when they first came out and had a few problems with mine. Sense i am a glock shooter as well, the 365 was foreign to me. To pull up with that muscle memory of finding my sights on the glock wasn’t there with the sig 365. The grip angle was off for me and was really snappy compared to my g43. Only nice this is the round count but weight wise for deep concealment the g43 appealed more to me. I hear the latest version on the 365 is better. Being turned off of it at the start wont go there again. Carry a full size glock as a main weapon and a 43 as a backup weapon so want the compact to be lighter.

Other huge turn off for me is that the sig striker fired platform doesnt have the trigger safety. With that 365 being smaller that was a huge concern I had with it. Plus sig 320 had the drop safety issue for a long time. The glock and smith m&p has that trigger safety. Yes the keep your finger out if the trigger guard off the trigger it wont fire and treat every firearms as its loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I wasnt a fan of the 365 sig. i got one when they first came out and had a few problems with mine. Sense i am a glock shooter as well, the 365 was foreign to me. To pull up with that muscle memory of finding my sights on the glock wasn’t there with the sig 365. The grip angle was off for me and was really snappy compared to my g43. Only nice this is the round count but weight wise for deep concealment the g43 appealed more to me. I hear the latest version on the 365 is better. Being turned off of it at the start wont go there again. Carry a full size glock as a main weapon and a 43 as a backup weapon so want the compact to be lighter.

Other huge turn off for me is that the sig striker fired platform doesnt have the trigger safety. With that 365 being smaller that was a huge concern I had with it. Plus sig 320 had the drop safety issue for a long time. The glock and smith m&p has that trigger safety. Yes the keep your finger out if the trigger guard off the trigger it wont fire and treat every firearms as its loaded.
I dove into the 320 series for a bit being that I had owned about every 9mm P series from the old German 225,220 to the Mk25, 229&226 Legions and mix of others. While I liked the modularity of it when it came to striker fired carry guns I just kept going back to the Glock. I know they aren’t for everyone but if you are just after a tool for the job it’s hard to argue world wide there is a more popular option. There is a reason they they are producing 1 million of them per year.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

One of my instructors is a federal firearms instructor for a few fed agencys. He has told me that p320 weapons hes only seen 26 of them out of all the agencies hes trained he remembers all 26 weapons and six of them suffered catastrophic malfunctions with a duty load out round count. The others worked but he said it was a hit or miss to get them to work. Worked down in new mexico where there was sand mud you name it, He says smith or glock are his only choices he looks at. H&k are nice but arent widely used so working with a team and you are running with a few guys that carry glocks and your dry. You arent getting another mag. The p229 legion is an amazing gun. Its a corvette my book. I am like you Trever. I try and stick with the same weapon platform that way anything i pickup I know where that glock or m4 will take me

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

One of my instructors is a federal firearms instructor for a few fed agencys. He has told me that p320 weapons hes only seen 26 of them out of all the agencies hes trained he remembers all 26 weapons and six of them suffered catastrophic malfunctions with a duty load out round count. The others worked but he said it was a hit or miss to get them to work. Worked down in new mexico where there was sand mud you name it, He says smith or glock are his only choices he looks at. H&k are nice but arent widely used so working with a team and you are running with a few guys that carry glocks and your dry. You arent getting another mag. The p229 legion is an amazing gun. Its a corvette my book. I am like you Trever. I try and stick with the same weapon platform that way anything i pickup I know where that glock or m4 will take me
I think the M&P is probably the most underrated striker fired pistol made today. Especially the 2.0. It’s my first choice after the Glock. I’ve ran the piss out of a lot of different handguns to see what works (for me) and what doesn’t. The M&Ps hold up to everything I put a Glock through and are easy to shoot. There biggest issue is aftermarket parts, such as holsters & mags. Can’t touch Glock in that area. The legions are nice and I really liked the 229 but my 226 felt slopped out like an old Ruger P89 after just 5K rounds compared to both the MK25’s that I had with twice that through them. I dumped it quick. Not that lose is bad it just happened faster than I was comfortable with. Probably the biggest selling point for me on glocks are the cheap, and always available OEM mags that seem to never wear out. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more that $20 and got my last batch for $17 each. The drawback is glocks crap sights which everyone replaces, and the ridiculous way the front sight attaches. I’ve had them fail. Really wish they would dovetail the front but it will never happen.

Did a little head to head with a G19 & M&P 2.0 when they first came out. Surprisingly the M&P out lived the Glock for one magazine before both finally failed.
54A42BD9-0B5B-4CD0-8C79-7A07AB7BCD4B.jpeg

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The m&p 2.0 would be my second choice as well. The older ones were good just didnt like the trigger and the fact that i had to replace the trigger was a big reason why i sold it. Shot a bunch out of a 2.0 and it ran great for me. The ease of being able to get mags and holster for glock is a big reason why i shoot them as well. I am really bad about cleaning my carry piece and when I bought my last glock wanted to see how long it would go tell i needed to clean it, took a while haha. I like that the m&p embedded more steel into the framework. Also like the fact even though I have a bunch of mags for the glock when I buy a new one it comes with three. The m&p only two. The shield is a good concealer except i feel like it has a midget on the slide. Bore axis is high. The glock also no matter the size my two holsters fit the weapons besides the 43 but that is an ankle gun

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I have a Glock 21 for my owb carry. Went back and forth on the 365, shield and G43 for iwb ccw. Ultimately it came to the interest of trying out the 365 and I kept getting some pretty good reviews, and the few extra rounds it packs it's comforting.

I did have issue today with the 365 slide not completely closing 3 times during 75 rounds at the range. I pushed it the last 2cm. I'm hoping that's not a standard experience moving forward.

Other than that, I'm happy with it. The pinky extension on the mag makes a big difference for me.

Reactions: Ghost and Roam_CO85

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Since this thread is about legal weapons and overlanding it is worth mentioning that handguns are a no go in Canada and all too many of the lower 48. I think when choosing weapons for "overlanding" it is important to keep that in mind.

I made an "unscheduled incursion" behind enemy lines into the northern end of Illinois recently from a remote location and had my standard load out of chemical agent, knife, handgun, long gun all of which would have caused a stir with the Illinois Stasi.

If you are going to wander, and i personally believe that to be part of the glory, you should choose your weapons with such in mind.

FTR: I surrendered my firearms and ammo to a friend who is retired LEO when I arrived, and kept my chemical and blade.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

The m&p 2.0 would be my second choice as well. The older ones were good just didnt like the trigger and the fact that i had to replace the trigger was a big reason why i sold it. Shot a bunch out of a 2.0 and it ran great for me. The ease of being able to get mags and holster for glock is a big reason why i shoot them as well. I am really bad about cleaning my carry piece and when I bought my last glock wanted to see how long it would go tell i needed to clean it, took a while haha. I like that the m&p embedded more steel into the framework. Also like the fact even though I have a bunch of mags for the glock when I buy a new one it comes with three. The m&p only two. The shield is a good concealer except i feel like it has a midget on the slide. Bore axis is high. The glock also no matter the size my two holsters fit the weapons besides the 43 but that is an ankle gun
My shield is the only M&P I have left. My wife had one and I had a 43. Much to my disappointment after shooting both for about a year I proved to myself that I shot the Shield better. In fact nearly as well as I shoot a 19 within 10 yards. So I bought Shield. The capacity sucks but like you it’s a backup or if I’m trying to be very discreet. Between the wife and I we have 4-5 Shield holster mostly NSR, a galco body globe, and a good pile of mags. Other than my wife’s bastard VP9 I couldn’t talk her out of I’ve got a good mix of Glock holsters also, mostly IWB NSR with optic cuts and with or a without x300u. I only own one OWB holster and it’s a beast. Safariland with the optic hood and the x300u that will run a G19 to a G34.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Since this thread is about legal weapons and overlanding it is worth mentioning that handguns are a no go in Canada and all too many of the lower 48. I think when choosing weapons for "overlanding" it is important to keep that in mind.

I made an "unscheduled incursion" behind enemy lines into the northern end of Illinois recently from a remote location and had my standard load out of chemical agent, knife, handgun, long gun all of which would have caused a stir with the Illinois Stasi.

If you are going to wander, and i personally believe that to be part of the glory, you should choose your weapons with such in mind.

FTR: I surrendered my firearms and ammo to a friend who is retired LEO when I arrived, and kept my chemical and blade.
Good advice, and being that I am way to cute to do any “hard time” I stay very diligent on making sure I’m aware of any silliness that may exist outside my normal AO and pack accordingly.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

When I'm destined to camp/travel I add a Mossberg 500 to the kit. The idea of waking up in the middle of the night to prowlers of whatever genealogy is comforted by having that near.

I tried safariland (for my 21) and have liked them. Just ordered a couple owb's from Huckleberry (since I added light) to check them out. My 365 is holstered by Detroit Holster. Perfect fit.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

My shield is the only M&P I have left. My wife had one and I had a 43. Much to my disappointment after shooting both for about a year I proved to myself that I shot the Shield better. In fact nearly as well as I shoot a 19 within 10 yards. So I bought Shield. The capacity sucks but like you it’s a backup or if I’m trying to be very discreet. Between the wife and I we have 4-5 Shield holster mostly NSR, a galco body globe, and a good pile of mags. Other than my wife’s bastard VP9 I couldn’t talk her out of I’ve got a good mix of Glock holsters also, mostly IWB NSR with optic cuts and with or a without x300u. I only own one OWB holster and it’s a beast. Safariland with the optic hood and the x300u that will run a G19 to a G34.
Does she like the vp9? I personally like the level one safariland als, i run one with a weapon light option and one with out. The shield i had was the first gen and was so so tell i put a xs big dot sight and a apex trigger on it. Sucker was unstoppable tell i traded it and the m&p first gen 9 for the p229 legion i have. And bought a glock 19 and it was all she wrote. Been with glock ever sense. I run a trex appendix carry side car with my glock 19 or glock 45 9mm and same fit for my 34. Have a tier one side car for the 229 that hasnt left the house in a long time. I sent my 19x off to get milled for rds rmr and excited to get that running sense i got it back.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Good advice, and being that I am way to cute to do any “hard time” I stay very diligent on making sure I’m aware of any silliness that may exist outside my normal AO and pack accordingly.
I am glad my permit only is good for the places that i actully wanna go.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Does she like the vp9? I personally like the level one safariland als, i run one with a weapon light option and one with out. The shield i had was the first gen and was so so tell i put a xs big dot sight and a apex trigger on it. Sucker was unstoppable tell i traded it and the m&p first gen 9 for the p229 legion i have. And bought a glock 19 and it was all she wrote. Been with glock ever sense. I run a trex appendix carry side car with my glock 19 or glock 45 9mm and same fit for my 34. Have a tier one side car for the 229 that hasnt left the house in a long time. I sent my 19x off to get milled for rds rmr and excited to get that running sense i got it back.
Yes on the VP9. Being she is 5’ nothing and has small hands she liked the grip, Europe mag release and the little cheater wings on the rear of the slide that along with the weak recoil spring makes it easy to rack. It’s got a great trigger and she shoots it pretty well. She went out hunted one down for herself after I tried steering towards Glock. She’s had it a couple years now with now issues. I shoot it occasionally. Funny part is last time we went out together she dumped a full mag with the G19 into a 10x18 plate at 25 yards without a miss and I could tell what she was thinking

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Way back in this thread someone mentioned lever action rifles as a great all around weapon to have on-board. I second this! My favorite all around is a Marlin 1894 lever action carbine in .357. Short and handy (like an AR, mini 14, or the like), you can continually top off the tube mag, it's not a "scary" assault rifle and often dismissed as non-threatening to law or the faint hearted, and believe it or not it can go head to head with a lot of semi automatic rifles in controlled shooting.
As VP of a gun club that runs matches once a month, and an active-experienced NRA/CMP High Power shooter, I have used the Marlin carbine in matches (just for the fun of it) at 200 yards with a peep sight, and shot amongst all types of "as issued" service rifles. It is competitive in all but off-hand, but controlling the short barrel and light weight is my limitation and practice point! Rapid fire sitting and rapid or slow prone it was in the mix and can regularly outshoot M1 carbines and outdo a Garand or two when the days scores are added up. The trick is you can cycle the lever rapidly without breaking sight picture. And .357 mag out of an 18 inch barrel can reach out if need be.
To really see what a lever action carbine can do, check out cowboy action shooting. Them boys are amazing! Any lever carbine 38SP, 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 LC, 30-30 will do. Now for Canada and Alaska, I will have to bow out as I have not been able to talk myself into doing an 80 round match with the 45-70 guide gun. The pic is at a match, 200 yard off-hand slow fire with the Marlin. (No picture it didn't happen, right?)

FB_IMG_1537677694568.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CR-Venturer

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Fake news, Colt is suspending production to the civilian market to free up manufacturing resources to fill government contracts.

And the dipshit from RSR that leaked the email that started this debacle is unemployed.
It's not the first time Colt has stopped civilian mfg. They came to a stop in 1972 and probably for the same reason as now. Military always comes first. It wasn't long ago the .22 ammo was selling for $5.00 a box for 50 rounds. Now you can buy it for $1.50 a box. They always say we have to supply the military first and they do by law. Still don't know why the gov. bought up all the 9mm ammo a while back when it is not even a round they use.

NateDCo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Deveaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF6MNN
I generally take a rifle when I go overlanding. Mostly for fun plinking and what not if I find an area, but also for protection. I also have my CCW on me when I go as well.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I would probably choose a lever action in 44mag or maybe 357 mag as my bush gun, except that they tend to be very pricey here, and I already have a 12 gauge shotgun with a fairly handy 18 inch barrel. I totally agree with the points raised in favour of them, though.