Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You can always mail your handgun to Alaska and pick it up in Tok.
I think you have to use an arms dealer with a FFL license on both ends and they usually have a fee..
If you know different I would like to hear about it.
Regrettably (or not) to reach one of my two addresses by land , I have to enter the Land of Canuck
Where in Texas do you crash. Same for Alaska. I was stationed there in 1952. I'm native Texan , even if most people think it's Mexico.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I think you have to use an arms dealer with a FFL license on both ends and they usually have a fee..
If you know different I would like to hear about it.

Of course , any service that someone provides involves a fee. That's called free market business.
Either you pay with a cost to ship the handgun they're you leave it at home.
Much like buying gasoline either you buy it or you don't. If you don't buy gasoline then you're stuck.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Very informative. I would have thought it to be quite the opposite since Canada restricts the ownership of firearms much like England I'm told, and if that info is correct. I don't know why any weapon would be hard to travel with if you are an American and going from one state to another, even though you have to cross Canada to get there. I can see them wanting to see verification of citizenship but the weapons are a different story to me. As a citizen of the USA I should have the right to go to another state with my weapons as I would to cross into any other state. There should be a way that as you enter or leave Canada you could have some kind of paperwork that will verify you are in transit with weapons of your choice. If you enter Canada with a weapon, you must leave Canada with that weapon. Simple HUH ?
No, it's not as bad as England, but if our clown prince PM gets re-elected in October, it surely will be.

What most people do is just ship their restricted or prohibited firearms to Alaska via Fedex or whatever, and transit through with their non-restricted stuff documented on the temp license.

The problem is that it's unlawful for anyone to possess certain firearms in Canada, and the government policy is not to permit the importation of restricted firearms except under a very few restricted purposes, like competition shooting. They're not going to just trust a foreign national to be driving around in Canada with certain firearms.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with our gun laws, because I mostly don't, but they are what they are for the time being. Like I said, though, you're going to have ten times as much headache EXPORTING the firearms out of the US because of US controls on export of firearms and ammo - see International Trade in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@mep1811 Have you ever shipped a gun ? I can only think of one time I did, and that was because I purchased from mail order. If I remember correctly, every time you ship the dealer that receives the gun has to do a background check before he can turn it over to you. Have you experienced this procedure ? I don't mind that when it is a new purchase but don't much like the idea of having to do that with a gun I already own. That is where the cost come to play according to my FFL guy. I heard in some states they are doing that to gun owners when they put their gun in the shop for repairs, the gun smith has to re- background you before he can return the gun to you.
I don't mind paying a fee for the shipping, Its cheaper than trying to smuggle it through and getting caught. :<(

Last edited:

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

@mep1811 Have you ever shipped a gun ? I can only think of one time I did, and that was because I purchased from mail order. If I remember correctly, every time you ship the dealer that receives the gun has to do a background check before he can turn it over to you. Have you experienced this procedure ? I don't mind that when it is a new purchase but don't much like the idea of having to do that with a gun I already own. That is where the cost come to play according to my FFL guy. I heard in some states they are doing that to gun owners when they put their gun in the shop for repairs, the gun smith has to re- background you before he can return the gun to you.
I don't mind paying a fee for the shipping, Its cheaper than trying to smuggle it through and getting caught. :<(
Im by no means an expert but ship firearms & NFA items out of state pretty regularly from WA state. In my experience the only time you are actually required to preform a background check or use a FFL to ship is when ownership is transferred. Like you said when buying or selling a firearm. I’ve sent pistols & suppressors back and forth to the manufacturer via FedEx with nothing more than a copy of my receipt or tax stamp. On my end when receiving the firearm or silencer (which I legally own) only a signature required apon delivery to my home. No background check required.

As for shipping to Alaska from the lower 48 I believe as long as you use express shipping (for handguns) and the firearm is addressed to yourself in care of out of state resident , it is legal to do and no FFL is required since ownership is not being transferred. As long as you are the one actual picking it up. That’s if you get the Courier to do it. What I’ve found to be the biggest issue is there is always confusion on their part. I’ve been told “we don’t do that” by UPS and been refused while showing them documents of their policies which clearly states they do??? FedEx is alway been the easiest route and I’ve had the employees help me shove pistols cases in shipping boxes right at the counter without batting an eye.

Best advice I have for any one is to not take my advice but instead research local & federal laws and then check the Couriers policies prior to shipping any firearms.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Im by no means an expert but ship firearms & NFA items out of state pretty regularly from WA state. In my experience the only time you are actually required to preform a background check or use a FFL to ship is when ownership is transferred. Like you said when buy or selling a firearm. I’ve sent pistols & suppressors back and forth to the manufacturer via FedEx with nothing more than a copy of my receipt or tax stamp. On my end when receiving the firearm or silencer only a signature required apon delivery to my home. No background check required.

As for shipping to Alaska from the lower 48 I believe as long as you use express shipping (for handguns) and the firearm is addressed to yourself in care of out of state resident , it is legal to do and no FFL is required since ownership is not being transferred. As long as you are the one actual picking it up. That’s if you get the Courier to do it. What I’ve found to be the biggest issue is there is always confusion on their part. I’ve been told “we don’t do that” by UPS and been refused while showing them documents of their policies which clearly states they do??? FedEx is alway been the easiest route and I’ve had the employees help me shove pistols cases in shipping boxes right at the counter without batting an eye.

Best advice I have for any one is to not take my advice but instead research local & federal laws and then check the Couriers policies prior to shipping any firearms.
Thanks Trever, that sounds more reasonable and naturally I would check before I tried for legality. It sounds too easy for this day and time with all the new laws being made .

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks Trever, that sounds more reasonable and naturally I would check before I tried for legality. It sounds too easy for this day and time with all the new laws being made .
Absolutely, 5 years ago in this Washington State you I could sell a buddy a rifle or handgun with nothing more than a handshake. Today if I want to sell him that same firearm it’s off to pay an FFL for an “enhanced” background check which requires everything short of a DNA sample. (Which isn’t actually needed since you sign away your HIPAA rights to the state when filling out your background check)

While the passing of new laws leave many feeling warm and fuzzy. What it’s actually done is helped a new industry explode and drive legal firearms ownership underground. Being that it is perfectly legal to manufacture your own firearms for personal use people are just buying parts and the tools need to build undocumented or what some would call “Ghost guns”. An what's funny is these are not the people you would assume. Police officers, firefighters, nurses, social workers, people in emergency management, and a couple guys that own flower shops. Just good people that I personally know exercising their rights while they still can.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Definitely don't recommend trying to smuggle guns through Canada either. Jail time and deportation for life is the likely result.

If anyone does show up at the border with their guns accidentally - ie, took a wrong turn and didn't mean to come to the border - just declare all firearms to the officer at the booth. It's not a big deal at all as long as you declare them. If the guns aren't allowed in, they just drop them off at USCBP and you pick them up and proceed on your way back into the states, no problems. It's when you lie that you get in hot water.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
When I went to Alaska last summer , I shipped my 9MM Glock and 44 Mag from Great Fall MT to Tok AK. I transited Canada with a 12 gauge Shotgun and 45/70 Marlin Guide gun.

I filled out all the Canadian paperwork beforehand . When I got the border crossing , I told the Customs Official that I was transiting Canada with the firearms, transporting them to Alaska. I was reminded to keep the firearms cased and with locks. I was also advised that a firearm could not be used in self defense against wildlife. During my three month trip, I crossed into Canada three times without an issue. When I crossed back into MT, the US CBP Officer wanted to see my Canadian paperwork . Other than the first crossing I never had to show the firearms.
I was asked at the initial crossing about what ammo I was carrying. He asked why I had pistol ammo and where were the handguns. I showed him my receipt showing I left my handguns in Great Falls to be mailed to me in Tok.

I used Wolfhawk Shipping. This is NOT a FFL transfer. This is a legal way to ship handguns from YOURSELF to YOURSELF legally through FFLs using the USPS. The key is in the labeling. Brian is a good guy to work with and is happy to take phone calls to explain things. A very easy process. There is large sporting good store in TOK if you don't want to carry handgun ammo through Canada.

I hope this answers some questions.

I wrote a three part series for TCT magazine on our three month trip. Hope you enjoy the articles. Arctic Adventures in a Vintage Land Cruiser

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Absolutely, 5 years ago in this Washington State you I could sell a buddy a rifle or handgun with nothing more than a handshake. Today if I want to sell him that same firearm it’s off to pay an FFL for an “enhanced” background check which requires everything short of a DNA sample. (Which isn’t actually needed since you sign away your HIPAA rights to the state when filling out your background check)

While the passing of new laws leave many feeling warm and fuzzy. What it’s actually done is helped a new industry explode and drive legal firearms ownership underground. Being that it is perfectly legal to manufacture your own firearms for personal use people are just buying parts and the tools need to build undocumented or what some would call “Ghost guns”. An what's funny is these are not the people you would assume. Police officers, firefighters, nurses, social workers, people in emergency management, and a couple guys that own flower shops. Just good people that I personally know exercising their rights while they still can.
We in NM are feeling the same kind of assanine laws. One of your Washington state Liberal political residents moved here and brought the anti gun attitude with her. Somehow she managed to win the governorship to our State, which is now her state. The first act she performed was to pass a gun law so unconstitutional that 95% of the state Sheriff departments refuse to enforce the new law but the city police will and the state troopers.

Reactions: Wile_Coyote

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
When I went to Alaska last summer , I shipped my 9MM Glock and 44 Mag from Great Fall MT to Tok AK. I transited Canada with a 12 gauge Shotgun and 45/70 Marlin Guide gun.

I filled out all the Canadian paperwork beforehand . When I got the border crossing , I told the Customs Official that I was transiting Canada with the firearms, transporting them to Alaska. I was reminded to keep the firearms cased and with locks. I was also advised that a firearm could not be used in self defense against wildlife. During my three month trip, I crossed into Canada three times without an issue. When I crossed back into MT, the US CBP Officer wanted to see my Canadian paperwork . Other than the first crossing I never had to show the firearms.
I was asked at the initial crossing about what ammo I was carrying. He asked why I had pistol ammo and where were the handguns. I showed him my receipt showing I left my handguns in Great Falls to be mailed to me in Tok.

I used Wolfhawk Shipping. This is NOT a FFL transfer. This is a legal way to ship handguns from YOURSELF to YOURSELF legally through FFLs using the USPS. The key is in the labeling. Brian is a good guy to work with and is happy to take phone calls to explain things. A very easy process. There is large sporting good store in TOK if you don't want to carry handgun ammo through Canada.

I hope this answers some questions.

I wrote a three part series for TCT magazine on our three month trip. Hope you enjoy the articles. Arctic Adventures in a Vintage Land Cruiser
Thanks Mike, That's good info ! Didn't realize you were a celebrity, congratulations !:sunglasses:

Reactions: mep1811

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

We in NM are feeling the same kind of assanine laws. One of your Washington state Liberal political residents moved here and brought the anti gun attitude with her. Somehow she managed to win the governorship to our State, which is now her state. The first act she performed was to pass a gun law so unconstitutional that 95% of the state Sheriff departments refuse to enforce the new law but the city police will and the state troopers.
I believe the Santa Fe Sheriff is in alignment with her, unfortunately. I think he is just looking our for his own career, and says no to the people. Maybe he'll loose his next election....although given that most of SF is ignorant anti-gun, echo-chamber gun-free-zone supporters, who knows.
I personally know the past Los Alamos Sheriff, and he was well aware of the citizens rights, and supported their constitutional rights. I don't know about this new guy, Joe Granville, if he is in alignment with our psycho governor, or not.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I had to look up your governor but it says she was born in NM, grew up in Santa Fe, went to university of NM, and says she is 12th generation NM. I didn’t realize she used to live here? When was that?