Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I have a PWS full-piston upper on my AR and it shoots so much cleaner than a gas-impingement system. If anyone is going to be out shooting for a long period of time without cleaning their rifle, I think a piston system is certainly the way to go. I was a fan of my Saiga AK and had no interest in the AR until I learned that piston uppers were actually a thing. Breaking down my AR next to a gas-impingement AR after a day of shooting is like night and day. I can have mine cleaned and back together before the other rifle's lower is even clean.
Di guns are fine i shoot the crap out of mine before cleaning them atleast a couple thousand rounds. My definition of cleaning is pull out the bcg and wipe it down with a rag and re oil.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Probably a case of me repeating comments from other forums that may or may not be based on actual use. Thanks.
I think they have that reputation, to be sure. That's why we started fooling around with not cleaning them, to get a feel for the worst case scenario. We were just unable to make them malfunction. Now, if you push forward on the magazine slightly while firing it, you can generate a double feed reliably. There are a few other dumb things that platform does, but all in all, I dig my M4.

Reactions: Steve

Ranger

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I carry my 9mm Sig on occasion. There are a few areas around me that have issues. One is meth country, the other has a group of shaven headed folk who think that the national forest in that are is theirs, and will intimidate anyone who does not share their hatreds. I beg to differ.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I carry my 45 with me every where. since i am in California and do not have a ccw it is not as great. i keep mine in a lock box generally in the vehicle with mags stored in my bug out/get home bag.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
With my boys as young as they are I don't bring any when we are out camping or traveling. I don't feel I need any protection other than being alert and aware.

I do enjoy plinking and shooting though and when my boys are older I'll introduce them to it. In Nevada, it's pretty easy to cary. But we almost always cross over to CA on weekend trips.

-M

Reactions: 9Mike2

EOD Tam

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alameda, CA
Member #

I think they have that reputation, to be sure. That's why we started fooling around with not cleaning them, to get a feel for the worst case scenario. We were just unable to make them malfunction. Now, if you push forward on the magazine slightly while firing it, you can generate a double feed reliably. There are a few other dumb things that platform does, but all in all, I dig my M4.
Just out of curiosity, what mags are you running in your M4? I've been through many shooting packages and ran through a variety of mags, but never had a double feed or stove pipe from pushing up on the mag and mag well while sending rounds down range.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Technology and design has come a long way in the last 100 years.
Just a quick question, what's the tech and design differences that steer you away from 1911s? I've read a lot of today's stuff in semi-auto pistols was derived from the 1911 and some from the Walther P38 (1930's). Is it just better machining or something? Obviously, polymers have come a long way, so weight is reduced.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

For starters, the 1911 is a single-action semiautomatic. In addition to this action, we have striker fired, double-single action, double-plus action, etc. Weight is also an issue, newer guns can be much easier to break down and clean, and double stack magazines are more common in newer pistols. Cost is also a factor with polymers bringing down the cost considerably.

I love the 1911, but I don't like carrying loaded and cocked. My carry gun is typically a Ruger LC9s, it is smaller, lighter, and, in my opinion, safer than a loaded and cocked 1911.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
For starters, the 1911 is a single-action semiautomatic. In addition to this action, we have striker fired, double-single action, double-plus action, etc. Weight is also an issue, newer guns can be much easier to break down and clean, and double stack magazines are more common in newer pistols. Cost is also a factor with polymers bringing down the cost considerably.

I love the 1911, but I don't like carrying loaded and cocked. My carry gun is typically a Ruger LC9s, it is smaller, lighter, and, in my opinion, safer than a loaded and cocked 1911.
I like the safety features on the Ruger semi-autos. Never shot one, but would like to.

-M

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Ok, was curious as it sounds you've used 1911's and others. Amazing though that a 105 year old design is still to this day at least in the mix, if not the top dog, for consumers to consider.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I was not a fan of the LC9 and I generally don't like striker-fired pistols. I learned to shoot on 1911s, so that is where I am most comfortable. That being said, the LC9S won me over; the trigger is far, far better than the LC9

Reactions: Kelly

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Ok, was curious as it sounds you've used 1911's and others. Amazing though that a 105 year old design is still to this day at least in the mix, if not the top dog, for consumers to consider.
I agree completely. I love my 1911s as target guns, they are study, reliable, and I know them inside and out. Honestly, those 1960s Colts are my benchmark when I look for a new handgun. My CZ, FN, and Ruger were all up against the venerable 1911 when I purchased them.

I was also highly skeptical of each of those pistols, I preferred steel-frames, hated 9mm, and didn't like striker fired weapons. My CZ is a polymer 9mm, the FN is a polymer .45 ACP, and the Ruger is the one I thought I would hate the most - a super-compact polymer striker-fired 9mm. Each one has advantages over the 1911, but the 1911 is still my sweetheart. The weight, balance, recoil characteristics, and ergonomics are all very familiar and comfortable for me. The recoil of a good 1911 full frame is a thing of beauty; it's less snappy than a 9mm so you feel the push more in your shoulder than a snap in the wrist, and as that slide comes forward after the shot it tends to pull the muzzle right back on target again. I am more accurate with my 1911 doing rapid fire than I am with any of my 9mm or polymer pistols (for one thing, the balance of the gun changes so much more as you fire a polymer gun because a greater percentage of weight is moving with the last shot compared to the first).

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Our Jeep is less than secure with it's soft top on. Bringing a shotgun along for the ride creates headaches for the storage of it at night or when away from the vehicle. I'm in Canada, our laws state that it has to be (ambiguously) 'safely stored'. Also, handguns are not permitted outside of your residence or an approved gun range, unless you are one of the very few fortunate enough to have received the rare-as-unicorn-teeth blessing of a permit.
A knife, sure - no problem. Bear spray, same thing. An axe or hatchet, yep - they're good to go. A big problem for us is if you are ever asked why you are carrying something. Self defense seems to be frowned on here, in general. As a tool, no problem. Confused??
A large flashlight or even a hockey stick, no one would cast a second glance! :grinning:

My only real bit of advice is to know the laws of the areas you are traveling. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
I'd love to explore Canada more, but don't, specifically because of the gun laws :-(

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Just out of curiosity, what mags are you running in your M4? I've been through many shooting packages and ran through a variety of mags, but never had a double feed or stove pipe from pushing up on the mag and mag well while sending rounds down range.
I've been using MAGPULs for a few years with zero issues.