Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
i hear ya, but for hauling soiled bedding and aluminium cans in an urban environment, the cart is the clear winner...especially if you can get the one where the front wheel doesnt wobble :)

I've been married a few times and each time I probably would have been better off with a bag lady...she'd definitely be more appreciative! There's another thread on here about finding a female companion to live a nomadic lifestyle, and of course the problem is that women are generally programmed to "nest" and "accumulate resources". Women are also extremely social where their status is based on perceived wealth and stability...the leader of their social circle is always the one with the richest husband. Being a nomad or gypsy goes against that, so pretty much any woman interested in a gypsy lifestyle is probably one who doesn't have much and doesn't want much. Which is great, but very hard to find. Hence the bag lady.

That's funny...this went from the OP of legal weapons to bag ladies. Guess after a 38 page thread, we covered the weapons thing pretty well.
Still think the post you made on the sleeping street girl is that one gal who just might be the one for us lookers. Anything would be a lot to this gal IMO. We all look for that one in a million when you don't have one. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Mike harpe

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
To the .22 cal post. If you really have to pull iron ( a deadly weapon to prevent death or seriously bodily injury) ( deadly force) are you gun really wound what every your threat may be.. I for sure dont train with 200 to 300 rounds a week to gut shoot a threat..or wound something. Those threats get shot in the face.. or zipped up and laced off. Yeah its like the saying. Oh 380 isnt a good defensive round.. well do you wanna stand in-front of it...no. .22 can go into a shoulder tumble around come out a toe.

Also their are alot of meth labs and drug activities out in the middle of no where.. they know there isnt much out there and go into open spaces forest todo bad things..

Salty4life.. thank you for sharing your background. Was wondering what it was because of the information and knowledge that you have. Very good source of info
My handgun is a .22 mag. If it's good enough for the CIA it's good enough for me. I don't want to stand in front of anything that goes BOOM !

Reactions: Mike harpe

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Apparently he never saw the birthday girl with Nicole kidman. Of course she did end up staying with him in the end.

Now I’m not so dysfunctional as to think that a mail order bride would not scam me. However traveling to Europe for months would be a different scenario I’d hope.

As for firearms training I got the from the army and a short course with 10th group. However they are perishable skills as anything is and I am probably going to get an air soft m4 to keep them up to date.

I do have a dry sarcastic sense of humor too so I’m pretty good at taking barbs as long as they are done in jest. It’s the people who are actually douche bags I can’t tolerate and just ignore. So far I haven’t felt that vibe on here or ramforum much. I really can’t wait till I can start traveling to some of the meets. Being stuck in GA is killing me.

Side note, I do have 3 acres of undeveloped pine if anyone would be interested in backyard camping lol. Can bbq and brew :)
Unfortunately the internet gives some that green light to act like a d-bag and say things they would never to say to someone’s face. Its not worth the time or energy and ignoring them is the best response since all they are after is the attention. I like to clown and will be the first to make myself the ass of a joke. There are not to many things in life you can’t poke fun at. For me the the darker, or sometimes more offense the better. Not wanting to get booted from OB you won’t see that side of me. Unless Im on the trail, then you better bring your A game. (and maybe a banjo)

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Unfortunately the internet gives some that green light to act like a d-bag and say things they would never to say to someone’s face. Its not worth the time or energy and ignoring them is the best response since all they are after is the attention. I like to clown and will be the first to make myself the ass of a joke. There are not to many things in life you can’t poke fun at. For me the the darker, or sometimes more offense the better. Not wanting to get booted from OB you won’t see that side of me. Unless Im on the trail, then you better bring your A game. (and maybe a banjo)
Everyone at some time has a breaking point, a human thing !!

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

I did 3 combat tours in Iraq. Technically every tour is considered combat, but if you’re say finance and never leave the ac unless your fob gets mortared then your not really in combat. Point being my humor is probably the same caliber as yours @Ghost so feel free to bring that game in pm or if your ever in the south east, South Georgia, or heading to Florida, take up my offer to crash on my land as a way station and have some bbq and brew.

I posted in events that I’m open to hosting overlanders for free. And if there was a signature option I’d have that invite there for people to come across.

Anyways feel free to pm me for whatever reason.

Mike

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I hate to derail a thread about guns by talking about guns, but travel through the various political jurisdictions of the USA as well as the addition constraints of travel to or through Canuckistan presents legal challenges that can largely only be met by relatively mundane albeit effective long guns. I've pretty much resigned myself to leaving a handgun in Alaska and relying on a shotgun or bolt action rifle in between.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hate to derail a thread about guns by talking about guns, but travel through the various political jurisdictions of the USA as well as the addition constraints of travel to or through Canuckistan presents legal challenges that can largely only be met by relatively mundane albeit effective long guns. I've pretty much resigned myself to leaving a handgun in Alaska and relying on a shotgun or bolt action rifle in between.
I don't blame you. You have much less to be hassled about with either weapon. My biggest complaint Is that most states wont let you carry any weapon in the car and loaded. It needs to be in the trunk (if you have one) and unloaded. What good is it to have an unloaded gun in the trunk of a car when a car jacker comes up to your window and say get out. I want my whole 2nd amendment right to carry Period. They really do pick on us for having a handgun when it is the best personal self protection you could own. The assumption that we are all bad guys because we carry is a ridiculous assumption by every one who doesn't carry or a cop that stops you, arrest you because you have no license even though you are not from his state and not governed by his laws.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I don't blame you. You have much less to be hassled about with either weapon. My biggest complaint Is that most states wont let you carry any weapon in the car and loaded. It needs to be in the trunk (if you have one) and unloaded. What good is it to have an unloaded gun in the trunk of a car when a car jacker comes up to your window and say get out. I want my whole 2nd amendment right to carry Period. They really do pick on us for having a handgun when it is the best personal self protection you could own. The assumption that we are all bad guys because we carry is a ridiculous assumption by every one who doesn't carry or a cop that stops you, arrest you because you have no license even though you are not from his state and not governed by his laws.
I'm with you, my license to carry was issued at birth as a free man and I will exercise that right with a rampant disregard for the tax man or anyone else feelings.

BUT, when the Canuckistanian border guards come into play it is prudent to up your game.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm with you, my license to carry was issued at birth as a free man and I will exercise that right with a rampant disregard for the tax man or anyone else feelings.

BUT, when the Canuckistanian border guards come into play it is prudent to up your game.
I don't cross borders any more. I like it here. Too bad we have to go through Canada to get to one of our own states and deal with another government in the process. There laws should have no effect on us going from one state to another and those rights should be guaranteed by the Canadian government.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I don't cross borders any more. I like it here. Too bad we have to go through Canada to get to one of our own states and deal with another government in the process. There laws should have no effect on us going from one state to another and those rights should be guaranteed by the Canadian government.
Regrettably (or not) to reach one of my two addresses by land , I have to enter the Land of Canuck

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Regrettably (or not) to reach one of my two addresses by land , I have to enter the Land of Canuck
I understand completely. I've never driven the Alaskan highway (don't even know now if there is more than one highway to Alaska) , but was stationed on St Lawrence Island in 1953 with home base being Fairbanks, quite a while before Alaska was a state. If I had been single I would have returned to live there, being married though my citified wife would have left me. She hated anything country of uninhibited and people-less. Her idea of camping was for me to drop her off at the Best Western Motel while I tramped around the country side with the kids. She passed away after 59 years of hell living with me, that was almost 8 years ago now. I miss her needless to say but I can go anywhere I want now and not worry about a motel bill.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

The issue is that you have to pass through a heck of a lot of Canada to get to Alaska.

Ironically, it's actually much easier to get a long gun into Canada than it is to get it out of the USA. Import is a $25 fee for a temporary license, which is a one page form, and as long as you have what is "officially considered" a legit reason to have a non-restricted firearn, you're golden (defense against wildlife is officially an acceptable reason, as is transit to the USA). Doesn't even take particularly long as long as the lineups aren't bad.

Handguns are harder to get into Canada, generally only allowed to be imported by non-residents for competition reasons. But even then, if you have the right papers, it's pretty easy. Getting it out of the USA is the hard part.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The issue is that you have to pass through a heck of a lot of Canada to get to Alaska.

Ironically, it's actually much easier to get a long gun into Canada than it is to get it out of the USA. Import is a $25 fee for a temporary license, which is a one page form, and as long as you have what is "officially considered" a legit reason to have a long gun, you're golden (defense against wildlife is officially an acceptable reason, as is transit to the USA). Doesn't even take particularly long as long as the lineups aren't bad.

Handguns are harder to get into Canada, generally only allowed to be imported by non-residents for competition reasons. But even then, if you have the right papers, it's pretty easy. Getting it out of the USA is the hard part.
Very informative. I would have thought it to be quite the opposite since Canada restricts the ownership of firearms much like England I'm told, and if that info is correct. I don't know why any weapon would be hard to travel with if you are an American and going from one state to another, even though you have to cross Canada to get there. I can see them wanting to see verification of citizenship but the weapons are a different story to me. As a citizen of the USA I should have the right to go to another state with my weapons as I would to cross into any other state. There should be a way that as you enter or leave Canada you could have some kind of paperwork that will verify you are in transit with weapons of your choice. If you enter Canada with a weapon, you must leave Canada with that weapon. Simple HUH ?

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.

[This post moved here from another thread, as well as the following two posts]
Anything more than a wooden lolipop stick is illegal to carry in UK .... HOWEVER
on my side ( while camping) is a Helle knife, I also have 2 axes a machette and various other knives in the van :-)
The law is vague whilst camping as they are tools for purpose within the confines of camp

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Anything more than a wooden lolipop stick is illegal to carry in UK .... HOWEVER
on my side ( while camping) is a Helle knife, I also have 2 axes a machette and various other knives in the van :-)
The law is vague whilst camping as they are tools for purpose within the confines of camp
But NOTHING is quicker than a speeding bullet when needed, not even Superman !

Reactions: Buckaroo

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
You can always mail your handgun to Alaska and pick it up in Tok.

Reactions: bgenlvtex