Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I'm not sure what a flash bang is. A bear banger is, like a small pen sized zip gun, with a small percussion projectile charge on the end. It is about as loud as a shotgun blast.
Clay from Expedition Overland in the series....Back to the Makenzie...loaded some bangers/maybe A less than lethal round also. Being Americans in Canada, they had restrictions on firearm use. I believe they had 12ga slugs also, but they first and foremost were all carrying BEAR SPRAY REPELLENT on them. In the vid, they were very concerned about that grizzly bear being close by.

A interesting series that touched on many things encountered in the back country that OB members will encounter.

Reactions: trikebubble

Micheal369

Rank III
Launch Member

Builder I

Lebanon, TN, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRUN860
I have a CCP, so it's everyday carry for me. Like Master Card, I dont leave home without it. I stay up to date with the laws, and typically avoid places where I cannot carry.
To quote WUzombies:
"Quite a few people carry a pistol with them when they travel, very few people train enough to be effective or even have a plan for what they are going to do when they encounter a situation in which they have it in their hand and everything has gone a little sideways. Some people have a mystical belief that their pistol round will stop a charging bear. This story is about some people, but on the other side of tactical end of every day carry."
Training is and proper planning is key.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My hand carries are just collecting dust and I'm ok with that. Most times I forget to bring it camping/overlanding. It does cross my mind, then I forget.

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

On that same note..I’m in Placer county.. if anyone ever decided to organize an outdoor/ backcountry “ Hole punching session “ drop me a PM, I would love to participate
Just throwing it out there.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

In defense of my 2nd Amend. / God given right..
I wish to take advantage of my 5th. Amend. Right on the grounds that I wish to not incriminate myself.
That being said.. yeah, Always packing something loud. Wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean?say no more.
Those boating accidents...

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

Typically carry my Glock 21 on every camping trip, .45 ACP has good stopping and 13 rounds of it in one magazine or 10 rounds if you live in cali gives a good round count between reloads should it be necessary to do so. But for recreational shooting if its allowed where we're camping we'll bring an AR15 for practicing tac shooting and if there's a long enough distance out to 800 meters the savage 10 BA stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor or the AR in 6.5 grendel will come out as well.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The only way anyone will catch me without, also knows I am already dead ! Bears don't bother me, man does !
I will never visit a state where open carry is not allowed or if my 2nd is violated by state laws. Those are the states I fear the most. BTW, how can one go hunting (with a license of course) in a state that doesn't allow you to carry firearms into the state in your vehicle.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

The only way anyone will catch me without, also knows I am already dead ! Bears don't bother me, man does !
I will never visit a state where open carry is not allowed or if my 2nd is violated by state laws. Those are the states I fear the most. BTW, how can one go hunting (with a license of course) in a state that doesn't allow you to carry firearms into the state in your vehicle.
Why do you choose to open carry?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Why do you choose to open carry?
I don't always for sure, but when I do it's so others can see I am armed. Because I can carry my rifle-shotgun in the back window of my truck when I choose (when I go hunting). Because it is my right to carry and protect myself at ALL times ! I have no fear of someone I see armed, I fear the illegal unlicensed concealed carry people. Guns are not dangerous, people are dangerous. This isn't the same world I grew up in. It use to be a safe and sane world. The USA changed in the mid to late 60's after the Kennedy assignation, It's only gotten worse since all the gun ban laws were instigated by the fear mongers, IMO !

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This is the most depressing thread ever. So many people scared of their own shadow thinking a gun will make them safer.
soo sad.

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

This is the most depressing thread ever. So many people scared of their own shadow thinking a gun will make them safer.
soo sad.
Depressing? which part exactly? I found it informative and thought provoking but hey to each their own you and I can agree to disagree.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
soo sad.
It will if ever the situation arises. Come live with me on the southern border or go the LA or Chicago and you will learn fast. It's not a fear, it's a right that you fellas don't have up there in Canada.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I don't always for sure, but when I do it's so others can see I am armed. Because I can carry my rifle-shotgun in the back window of my truck when I choose (when I go hunting). Because it is my right to carry and protect myself at ALL times ! I have no fear of someone I see armed, I fear the illegal unlicensed concealed carry people. Guns are not dangerous, people are dangerous. This isn't the same world I grew up in. It use to be a safe and sane world. The USA changed in the mid to late 60's after the Kennedy assignation, It's only gotten worse since all the gun ban laws were instigated by the fear mongers, IMO !
Open carry is a better than nothing deal in my book. You find your self in a hard target profile in the wide open...guy comes into a quick stop thats been casing the joint for a few hours..comes in with a weapon. Hell go right to you as a target... unwanted attention. Legal conceal carry in my mind is the way to go. Out of sight out of mine. I live in an open carry state. You can carry a rifle in your vehicle unloaded with a mag in the well a pistol loaded in a vehicle concealed or not in a vehicle. With out a permit. If its on your person in public you can open with out a permit but conceal with a permit, handgun conceal. You cant conceal a rifle. Game and fish state statue.

Open carry in my mind is stupid. Letting people know your armed points an arrow at your self.

To @Billiebob that says its a depressing thread....the world the way it goes is depressing. Also for sure not afraid of my shadow...not afraid of anything.. but i also refuse to be a victim. Its not about being scared! Its protecting myself and those like me.

Someone carrying a defensive blade or even a guy that carrys a pocket knife. There are a couple knife threads. Whats different between the edged weapon and a blaster? Knives scare me more then a gun does. A knife can do a hell of alot more damage than a any bullet. Besides a shotgun or a large bore rifle or pistol round. A guy that carrys a knife for protection can whip a sunday pretty quick on an attacker. Evil does exist.. depressing yes.. but its a hand you gotta play

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Speaking as a law enforcement officer, I recommend concealed carry where legal as a more tactically sound option. It gives you as the defender an element of surprise that you don't have when you're open carrying. Now, obviously there's a deterrent factor that comes with open carry, but be aware that you are announcing to the bad guys that you have a gun and they can see where it is.

If you do choose to open carry, I strongly recommend a good retention holster like a level 3 Safariland, and obviously the extensive practice to use it effectively.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

While I believe open carry should be 100% legal, I don’t think it’s a good idea as a general rule. Basically your drawing a lot of attention to yourself. Putting a gun in the back window is just asking someone to break into your vehicle.
By all means carry all the time, but just be smart about it.

If you must open carry in public, please get so ju-jitsu training, a good belt and a decent retention ALS/SLS safariland holster. Blackhawk serpas are hot garbage and do not count.

Reactions: Ghost

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
soo sad.
Nothing depressing about this thread at all, it's actually quite informative. Plus, it is a right given to us by our founding fathers when they founded this nation and became independent of royalty. A firearm is a wonderful thing to have, and not only for protection. Besides, as long as evil people exist in this world, us good people need a means to protect ourselves. Especially since evil doesn't play by the rules or follow the laws of men.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

In my area I don’t carry for Bear or Cougar but both are common. I’m sure I could go find a bear this evening with the blackberries being ripe right now. We live in the cascades an hour east of Portland. The place people come to do bad things. My wife works in the courtroom so has first hand knowledge of what goes on in the woods around here. Recently a guy from the Portland area brought his boyfriend here to stab and shoot to death. Couple winters back a man and his son from California jump a guy on the trail and beat his face off his skull with a tree branch and dragged him into the brush thinking he was dead. Even after the guy offered to just let them have his car. Or maybe after 9/11 you heard of the “Portland 7”? A terrorist group training at a local gravel pit just a couple miles down the road from my house.

I’m friends with the Sheriff and most of the local LEO around here. They have always been 100% supportive those that choose to carry.

As for carrying. I’m a firm believer that if you are going to do it, you train. I’m not talking “practice” shooting paper at the pit with your buddies, but seeking out the best instructors you can afford and having someone teach, drill, and critique your skills. It will quickly destroy any John Wick fantasy you may have. I go at least once a year, usually twice, and expend 2-400 rounds a week with my carry gun. I’ll be driving to Arizona this Fall for a week of training and looking at Thunder Ranch with Clint Smith next Summer. An no, it’s not a fear thing. That would be a miserable existence. It’s taking responsibility for your own security when the boys in blue are 30-40 minutes away.