Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

CgnJeep

Rank 0

Traveler I

My backpacking/camp gun is an old chopped Baikal 12ga single shot. I carry a mix of bird shot, 00 Buck and slugs for survival/bear defense in the BC bush.
Unfortunately I can't have any firearms while travelling in the US, but always have bear spray, an axe and a few knives.
Here's a picture of the Baikal... simple and easy to break down and stuff into a backpack.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Nothing

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
Well I’m in Canada. Pistols, to and from the range only. Rifles you can carry only during hunting season or to the range. I’ve got my PAL Restricted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Well I’m in Canada. Pistols, to and from the range only. Rifles you can carry only during hunting season or to the range. I’ve got my PAL Restricted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No mention here of hunting season or to a qualified range.... just FYI.

Transportation of Non-Restricted Firearms
  • 10 (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if
    • (a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

• (b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.
  • (2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
    • (a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

• (b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.
  • (3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm
    • (a) is not visible; and

• (b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

The Overland Couple

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irwin, PA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Schmitt
Member #

* FYI This may be a bit of a controversial topic... Please keep politics out of this.

While overlanding (or traveling in general) we can sometimes find ourselves in areas that are very remote and sometimes sketchy. Many times those areas with "free camping" aren't the best places to bed down, but we do what we have to to stay away from he crowds in RV parks and heavily populated campgrounds. How many of you carry some sort of personal protection with you? My wife and I carry a few things. Yes, we carry the typical pocket knives and flashlights, but I am talking items used to protect yourself... My wife and I both have Concealed Carry Permits and follow the laws where we travel. On my person, I carry a Glock 19, extra mag, knife, and light at all times. If we are heading into bear country I will typically swap that out for my .357mag or .44mag revolver. My wife prefers to just keep a large canister of bear spray with her when were are in remote areas. Lots of people forget that just because you've left the city doesn't mean everyone/everything is friendly.

Reactions: Pranqster

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Hello,

I'm new to OB, but have been an Overlander in my own right, for decades.
I do have a concealed weapons permit, I do follow state and county regs & laws - so yes, I carry a Sig 9mm in my EDC bag.

If an organization, had rules against carrying - I would have no problem following the rules laid out.

Being ex-military, I take handling any weapon very seriously. I also believe in training.

Attachments

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Never leave home without my Sig 9mm on my hip. When we are camping I usually take some kind of long gun. Generally a 12 gauge pump with a variety of shells, increasing in potency as they are shot. When we get really backwoods (haven't much yet) I will take the 12 and an AR. The 12 covers a lot of bases, but is only 6 rounds, and I can't reload a pump that fast.

I'm also never without a knife. I normally carry a fixed blade Gerber, a folder (I have a few, lately a Spiderco), and always my leatherman. The leatherman is not an option, the other two I can leave home if the situation calls for it.

Reactions: DVC

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

To those people saying "you don't have to inform anyone" you are sort of correct! John Q Public no you do not nor should you, but several states have a "duty to inform" law where if pulled over you are supposed to inform the officer that you are carrying. I don't live in or have never been pulled over in one of those states so I have no idea what happens if you don't inform...

Sent from my P00I using OB Talk mobile app

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

state officers in some states will be informed "if" your pulled over because they have it in their system. I always inform the officer I am carrying. When I cross state lines that will not honor me as a CCW I will unload & transport the weapon as of in transit only but once I cross their state lines & the state is a CCW friendly, its loaded & in my possession. But again "I" will not visit, stay in a state that will not honor my CCW no matter how good the overlanding is.

Reactions: justjames

Trey5150

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Dakota
Member #

I carry all day every day! Typically what i am doing and the season dictates what i carry for concealable reasons and comfort.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
We in the uk are not afforded the right to bear arms for protection , the very notion has the whole country in uproar . So Commenting on it is a very contentious subject over here , SO HOW DO YOU PROTECTECT YOUR SELF IN THE UK , In the main we are a very tolorant nation travel in the uk is safe but as with any were there are allways a few Who given the oppotunity to take what is not theirs , security is the the only option although my base ball bat and glove dont forget your ball ! As in my experience the police tend to ask " were 's your BALL " I got pulled over just out side cardiff recently the police carried out a full search of my truck , In the back. Two axes , two machees various knives two chain saws and a tool bag full of My tools the qestions that followed were What do you do with these. WORK OFFICER , all locked in the back then they searched the front finding a baseball bat , lifting it up and staring at me i leaned in to pull out a leather glove , were is THE BALL LOL. i opend the glove compartment to expose a BALL. , NEW. SAID THE OFFICER Yes officer The dog got the other one. :wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: CTDiscovery and DVC

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Recently on a trip the group I was with decided to camp in an abandoned mine in KY. Was a really cool place, lots of room for vehicles, etc. A few locals appeared outside about an hour later, yelling all kinds of obscene things and talking about guns and calibers, revving thier engine, telling us to come outside. This went on for about 1.5 hours, long enough that it was apparent they were not leaving and what at first seemed like a joke begain to feel like maybe it wasn't. We were sort of cornered as they were at the main exit / entrance. It was 2 males and a female. That was the first time I felt I was going to need a firearm on an overlanding trip. Worked out ok, it was some younger folks with just nothing better to do but they almost barked up the wrong tree that night. I had enough kit to arm most of the group but a couple guys brought their own ;)

I won't travel anywhere I can't take a firearm, so you'll never find me in CA, the commie states of northeast, IL (especially Chicago), etc.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Can i ask this qestion ive Used sporting guns all my life and on trips to the usa ive used under supovision small arms and even the od military weapon , my qestion is this what are the laws on concealment and is there any mandatory training or guidence in the use of Fire arms to protect life or property , I understand and there are differant laws in differant states but unsure on the qulifications age etc

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Can i ask this qestion ive Used sporting guns all my life and on trips to the usa ive used under supovision small arms and even the od military weapon , my qestion is this what are the laws on concealment and is there any mandatory training or guidence in the use of Fire arms to protect life or property , I understand and there are differant laws in differant states but unsure on the qulifications age etc
Various state laws are so different and confusing traveling between states can be risky. States like NY require a permit to own a handgun and recently a woman traveling from a western state to NY had declared her firearm in her checked bag and was arrested in NY for having a handgun without a permit, even though she was a legal gun owner in her home state. Liberal states generally don’t issue many concealed carry permits and won’t recognize the permits from other states. This is why traveling with a firearm will require a little research. That said, when I travel to CA I always take a “CA legal” 1911 with 8 rd mags and have adopted a don’t ask don’t tell position and have found law enforcement doesn’t ask a question they really don’t want an answer to so long as you are respectful and cooperative when involved in routine interactions with them. I don’t carry, but keep it packed in a bugout bag.

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

each state of our country is sovereign which has their own State Constitution which determines their own laws on firearm related issues like CCW (conceal carry weapon). 42 states require concealed carry licenses for their citizens. Some state have Constitutional carry laws which means without any government permit. 13 states in our country honors this. My beloved Arkansas does. Applying for a CCW permit you have to go through a training class & a test. 6 states do not require CCW permit to carry concealed. Like I said each state in our country is sovereign. It's not that difficult "if" you plan & know the CCW laws or Constitutional Carry laws when you are on a trip & the states involved. Plan ahead avoids any legal issues.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

So what would California say about my 22LR rossi single shot with 250 rounds in the drilled out stock? It's my high capacity single shot rifle lol

Hella-Buggin'

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
Member #

Recently on a trip the group I was with decided to camp in an abandoned mine in KY. Was a really cool place, lots of room for vehicles, etc. A few locals appeared outside about an hour later, yelling all kinds of obscene things and talking about guns and calibers, revving thier engine, telling us to come outside. This went on for about 1.5 hours, long enough that it was apparent they were not leaving and what at first seemed like a joke begain to feel like maybe it wasn't. We were sort of cornered as they were at the main exit / entrance. It was 2 males and a female. That was the first time I felt I was going to need a firearm on an overlanding trip. Worked out ok, it was some younger folks with just nothing better to do but they almost barked up the wrong tree that night. I had enough kit to arm most of the group but a couple guys brought their own ;)

I won't travel anywhere I can't take a firearm, so you'll never find me in CA, the commie states of northeast, IL (especially Chicago), etc.

I live in CA and, to the best of my knowledge, you can travel with firearms as long as they are properly locked away when driving (unless you have a conceal permit). Once you're at the campsite, that is considered your domicile and you can have a loaded gun in your tent. That's what I was told by a State Park Ranger anyways.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

To those people saying "you don't have to inform anyone" you are sort of correct! John Q Public no you do not nor should you, but several states have a "duty to inform" law where if pulled over you are supposed to inform the officer that you are carrying. I don't live in or have never been pulled over in one of those states so I have no idea what happens if you don't inform...

Sent from my P00I using OB Talk mobile app
Texas is interesting.. If you have a License to Carry and are carrying, the law states you must inform. Well, technically only if asked for ID / DL, then you must hand over your ID/DL along with your License to Carry. But from what I understand, there is no actual penalty for failing to inform.

Also, in Texas, when 'traveling', and if you are the driver, you are allowed to carry a concealed handgun on or around you, whether or not you have a License to Carry. You are also covered to and from your vehicle. And in that case, if you don't have a license, you don't have a duty to inform. And the firearm can't be visible (though if you have a license, it can be visible). Oh, and under the law you are presumed to be traveling if you are in a vehicle and not otherwise breaking any laws (other than traffic violations) and are not a gang member.

This site has really good information on the varying laws in each state. While I always go a step further and read actual statutes before traveling into another state with my weapon(s), this is pretty solid, and includes links to all of the actual state laws : http://handgunlaw.us/

If the map isn't showing on that page, try it with IE (not working for me on chrome).