Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Fancy new pistol this fancy new design that, Xdm pistols are still widely regarded as best “out of the box, stock trigger” on the market. Much like the good ol model 700
I agree. It is the best out of the box pistol I have ever had.
What else have you had? I’m not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to understand your frame of reference.

Reactions: Drifterman

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

What else have you had? I’m not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to understand your frame of reference.
[emoji16] I had a feeling this would come up. Keep in mind, I was simply agreeing based on my experiences. Those can vary drastically based on shooting style, years of experience and simple design characteristics. I have big hands therefore I shoot larger frame pistols better.

I will list what I have/have had in a general order of my opinion of them.

2 xdm 40s 5.25"
Glock 34
Xdm 40 sub compact 3.8"
Xd 40 sub compact
Glock 22
Glock 23
S&W mp 40
Colt 1911 (this was used)
Taurus pt745
Taurus judge
Ruger LCP
Ruger LC9
2 Hi point 9s...

I dont want any crap for the high points. I got them for almost free. I figured they were something I could bury in the yard for doomsday and not feel bad about it. [emoji23]

Some of these are better suited for different situations of course. However I stand by the xdm being my favorite out of the box. This could be luck of the draw or maybe the others were made on a Friday afternoon. Either way, shoot what you are comfortable with. Ruger makes nice guns but those just didnt suit me. I almost like the hi point trigger better than the LC9... almost.

And to tie it into the topic, I would take any of them over a can of mace while out camping. [emoji12]

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

@BLACK_BETTY
Thank you for the detailed list. I’m not the type to crap on anyone’s choice of brand x over brand y when they have experience with both. Often times a guy buys a ford and tells everyone Chevy is crap but he has never owned a Chevy and is just repeating some crap he got off a forum somewhere. This is a problem in the firearm community.

This is also a huge problem I have found in the off road community. When I was researching lifts, tires, and other components for my truck, I found guys saying rough country is the best and carli is a rip off. These guys owned a truck with some combination of parts from rough country. Other guys said the rough country was crap and that Carli what is the best . These people have never owned a truck with a similar combination of parts.

So whenever someone says brand X works the best for me I have to ask what is your frame of reference what else have you tried . If someone on the truck with components from Brand X and the same truck with similar components from brand Y I believe he can make it at an honest assessment. I also don’t take very seriously the “my truck has brand X components but my buddies truck has Brand Y and my truck is way better” types of answers.

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
@BLACK_BETTY
Thank you for the detailed list. I’m not the type to crap on anyone’s choice of brand x over brand y when they have experience with both. Often times a guy buys a ford and tells everyone Chevy is crap but he has never owned a Chevy and is just repeating some crap he got off a forum somewhere. This is a problem in the firearm community.

This is also a huge problem I have found in the off road community. When I was researching lifts, tires, and other components for my truck, I found guys saying rough country is the best and carli is a rip off. These guys owned a truck with some combination of parts from rough country. Other guys said the rough country was crap and that Carli what is the best . These people have never owned a truck with a similar combination of parts.

So whenever someone says brand X works the best for me I have to ask what is your frame of reference what else have you tried . If someone on the truck with components from Brand X and the same truck with similar components from brand Y I believe he can make it at an honest assessment. I also don’t take very seriously the “my truck has brand X components but my buddies truck has Brand Y and my truck is way better” types of answers.
Makes sense. Definitely easy to get wrapped up the brands debate. Functionality is key for me. If it works, I’m a repeat purchaser. There’s someone out there w a Toyota pick up that’s given them nothing but problems, and there’s someone out there w a PT cruiser w 437,000 miles and running strong. We don’t make em we just run and fix em!

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I have the similar thought process. And you find alot of people in pretty much anything you tie into. That all their experience is on one piece of equipment. With that anything else is junk.. and I always do ask well have you tried this or that? Well no Ive only had this.. well then how do you know..

Get asked all the time why ive stuck with a ram and dodge for the last 4 pickups ive had... because ive owned a ford and a chevy... the dodge/rams for what i do with them.. out lasted the ford and chevy. So thats what I have stuck with.. You have to be able to defend why you like something over the other brand.. I my self tryed to stay way from a glock. Because of the
Whole oh its a glock everyone has glock. I went through probably four or five brands before shooting one and it was a butterface ever sense! They all run some better than others. But you do have to try or work with something to say you actually dont like it

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

@BLACK_BETTY

I completely agree with you. I am guilty to some extent of the above. I have been a mechanic all of my life. I have always preferred fords, partly because they were my first couple vehicles. I always gave my brother crap for preferring chevys but it was just teasing. Him and I always gave friends crap over dodges. The irony is since then, I now own 2 gms and have had others over the years. He also bought 2 Dodges and my new ram, my first Chrysler product, I just bought off of him.

Now with my experience working on them, I can honestly say I worked on more gm and Chrysler products but that could just be my area and they combined have more lineups. I did work on my fair share of fords too. (I only worked independent shops)

I am often asked my opinion of different vehicles and I tell people they are all nuts and bolts. My last truck, still have it, is an 05 f150 with the 5.4l. They were terrible for timing chain issues. I put complete engines in them at 50k. Mine has 190k with all oe major components. A LARGE part of any vehicles lifespan is attention to maintenance. I regularly changed my oil, the downfall of the 5.4l.

Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you, most of the time. [emoji16]

Now I could get into my opinion on government bailouts and all that but that is a whole different topic. [emoji849]

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

View attachment 89176
View attachment 89177

A update for you. 12.5 ballistics advantage barrel with a Aero gas block. Aim sports hand guard with a spikes tactical upper receiver topped off with a midwest industry blast can! The blast can for a short barrel—- its gonna flash so why not push it forward.

Just gotta put a charging handle and a bcg and shell be ready
Thanks for the update ... sorry haven't been on the page for awhile been extremely busy at work with little down time. Its looking very nice!

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
USA...18^ barrel...legal as long as it overall has a certain length.

I never understood Canada's law that a weapon...rifle, shotgun, or pistol, supposedly could not be used for self defense against animals. Correct me if I'm wrong. Supposedly the border patrol agents tell those who are transporting them thru.

Imagine those last few seconds debating with yourself...judged by 12, or eaten by one?.....

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

USA...18^ barrel...legal as long as it overall has a certain length.

I never understood Canada's law that a weapon...rifle, shotgun, or pistol, supposedly could not be used for self defense against animals. Correct me if I'm wrong. Supposedly the border patrol agents tell those who are transporting them thru.

Imagine those last few seconds debating with yourself...judged by 12, or eaten by one?.....
You can use whatever weapon you have on hand to defend yourself against anything, including animals and humans.

What you CAN'T do... is be prepared ahead of time and have a weapon specifically to defend against humans.

You CAN have a weapon and say it's for defense against animals.... firearms, bear spray, etc.

"No sir, that 12 ga is for possible bear attacks.... it's not in case some person tries to come into my camp and kill my family."

Reactions: Irving Zisman

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
When in bear country... I sleep with a Ruger Super Redhawk (7.5" barrel) chambered in 454 Casull; she packs a punch!
i have several .44mags i reload for and i used to think they were bad ass until i saw the specs for the Casull...up to 300 grains with over 1600 fps muzzle velocity! Yeah, Id sleep like a baby with that under my pillow!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
i have several .44mags i reload for and i used to think they were bad ass until i saw the specs for the Casull...up to 300 grains with over 1600 fps muzzle velocity! Yeah, Id sleep like a baby with that under my pillow!
One of my compadres has a SW 500 and mine kicks very slightly harder. Have a matching lever gun in 454 for the daytime ;)

Reactions: grubworm

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
You can use whatever weapon you have on hand to defend yourself against anything, including animals and humans.

What you CAN'T do... is be prepared ahead of time and have a weapon specifically to defend against humans.

You CAN have a weapon and say it's for defense against animals.... firearms, bear spray, etc.

"No sir, that 12 ga is for possible bear attacks.... it's not in case some person tries to come into my camp and kill my family."
It is your last paragraph that still gives me pause. If tbe worst was to happen, it would be the officers, rather than the DA.who makes that call. Kind of quilt first, innocent 2nd.

Theoretically, only one state follows that assumption. I wonder how many readers know which state that is. Our laws come down from anglo-saxon/English tradition. Our BILL OF RIGHTS is a reinforcement on that premise. For those wondering, it's Louisiana, which is based on French law. That state has to straddle 2 law systems, and find a consensus that still follows the constitution and our bill of rights. Complicated it is.