Legal but not legal?

• HTML tutorial

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Was recently out doing a trail clean up and I gathered some interesting around the use of the area and was curious as to what the rest of you would do,

The road is public, 'no exit', no winter maintenance.
The trail exists in the local offroad associations trail index
The area is also said to be crown land (Canadas version of BLM land)

The area is shown as private on the internet land use tool.
At the start of the trail there is a sign that explains what activities are allowed and camping is NOT one of them

The information I got from locals was that the first chunk of the area is managed by a local forest and does not allow camping or fires etc..

Further down the trail there were established camping areas with fire rings.

My question is this: have you experienced something along these lines? If so what did you do or what did you learn?

Reactions: Boort

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I’ve seen this before. Areas are re-zoned and old campsites still look either used or somewhat used at least. Alberta has public land use maps that I reference. They’re free on the Alberta .gov website. Just google “pluz Alberta” if it’s in Alberta. Or the equivalent for whatever province you’re in.

I do have friends that travelled a trail one year only to be heavily ticketed the next when the area was re-zoned. If you risk it, the fish cops will tag you eventually.

Reactions: Boort

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

On our 10 day Journey moving from Washington to California one of the campsites(disperse camping-which is free and not an established campground) where we were going to stop at was up on the ridgeline of Brokeoff Mountain in the Lassen National Forest, CA. To get to the mountain you had to drive through private property that was also a logging road. Normally I would not be okay with going down private roads but there were signs posted that allowed passage, only because their land was the only drivable access point to this area in National Forest. The company that owned the land had signs posted every quarter mile making it very clear lol that you could not camp/start a campfire/ or harvest the tress as "Christmas Trees" I feel this is a problem for them. After we had finally gotten onto the Lassen National Forest territory, there were signs posted notifying this. As we went up the mountain we meet up with some hunters leaving who advised us not to camp there for the same reason they were leaving. They said the black bear population in that area outnumbered the deer population, and that was all I needed to hear even though my family and I carry a firearm to protect us from such encounters I was not going to risk it. The hunter had a black bear sneak up on him and let him know he wasn't wanted there, they seemed pretty shook up by the encounter. My advice to the real point of this post and forum is that whenever you are unsure about an area being allowed to be used or crossed you should play it safe and find the nearest ranger station/locals in the area at some sort of general store(since they probably know the majority of the people who live in rural areas) and see what they have to say before you potentially break any laws if the safe side.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
The hunter had a black bear sneak up on him and let him know he wasn't wanted there, they seemed pretty shook up by the encounter.
I bet they were shook up! If a black bear is “sneaking up” on people, that means the hunters were being hunted. A hungry black bear will stalk humans as prey.
If it’s black, fight back. If it’s brown, lie down. If it’s white, good night.

Reactions: dolli310