Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My son wants to build a Rocket Stove out of square tubing for a high school project. I dont have any idea of what size tubing he is going to need or how long of a stick I need to order. We want to design this thing to be compact enough to stow in the back of my Bronco, but yet big enough to fit my griddle on it.

Im prety good at designing things when I understand the science and the ratios, but im not finding a lot on google or just not using the right terminology.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I'm also trying to make a rocket stove but am not at all concerned about science or ratios. This pictures has some basics:
1570763657156.png
You should be able to start with the size of the griddle and work backwards. I'm using scrap metal from old computer cases.
Here is another picture with more specifics:
1570763814266.png

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm also trying to make a rocket stove but am not at all concerned about science or ratios. ......You should be able to start with the size of the griddle and work backwards. I'm using scrap metal from old computer cases.
Here is another picture with more specifics:
View attachment 121576
This is exactly what I was looking for. I found the first picture easy enough. I am worried about the ratios for two reasons... first, efficiency and second his grade. we will be using some kind of carbon steel square tubing and round tubing because he has to demonstrate his fundamental welds he has been learning over the past four years.

DISCLAIMER: My son has learning disabilities so im allowed to do the design process for him, he just has to understand why its designed the way I am drawing it up.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Hope it all works out. Definitely post of picture of what you come up with.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well this died for the time being. My son decided to move back to Colorado to live with his mom. I will however, pick this project up later this spring and see if I can make something worthwhil.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It basic design is the same native americans used to do where you dig 2 hole next to one another then make a tunnel to connect the two holes. Put sticks in downwind hole and light it, no smoke lots of heat. You can actually make similar design with campfire using rocks to make a horseshoe shape about 2 ft high and filling the outside of the rocks with dirt.
But for the weld up stove it can be just a regular old L shape that design above in the pics just aids in loading the sticks it isnt going to make it any more efficiant that would require welding another slightly larger pipe over the others and stuffing dirt, sand or sometype of fireproof insulation between the two. There is also a no weld method, using a bucket with a hole cut at the bottom of the side, laying a pipe down in horizontal position where the hole you made is and hold the other pipe vertical and fill the bucket with sand.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
The ratio of the feed tube to chimney should be around 1:4, assuming same diameter tube, to allow air to be pulled up the chimney vs out the firebox. I’ve made back pack sized stoves from 2inch square tube upto ones that will fit into a 30mm ammo can using 6 inch steel pipe and filling in with vermiculite. Same ratios.