Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

One of my neighbors works for the Forest Service. Most of the money collected from camping at the pay sites goes to pay for the cleanups from the people camping. Maintenance has to come from the general budget. I do wonder why people seem to not care about cleaning up after them selves? Living in tourist cities and towns in along the beach, and even places like Chelan, I have always seen a problem with people and trash. But I am proud of all our OB Members, and others that do their part to take the time to clean up areas they visit! Thank-you! Vance.
Couldn’t agree more and very happy to be apart of a family that try’s to make things better!

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Awesome thread

Unfortunately my son, a friend and I found this today when we went to scout a possible for memorial weekend trip. This place was absolutely destroyed! It is BLM land and absolutely gorgeous outside of the shotgun shells, spent brass, beer bottles, traffic barrels, broken clay pigeons, spray painted rocks (you get the picture). We were not equipped to clean all this up, however it was so heart breaking to see this we are considering driving back there with two rigs just to try to put a dent in the clean up.

Thank you all for posting here. This is a real problem and I’m glad there are others that recognize it and want to make it right. Bless you all!

Attachments

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Awesome thread

Unfortunately my son, a friend and I found this today when we went to scout a possible for memorial weekend trip. This place was absolutely destroyed! It is BLM land and absolutely gorgeous outside of the shotgun shells, spent brass, beer bottles, traffic barrels, broken clay pigeons, spray painted rocks (you get the picture). We were not equipped to clean all this up, however it was so heart breaking to see this we are considering driving back there with two rigs just to try to put a dent in the clean up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank yu all for posting here. This is a real problem and I’m glad there are others that recognize it and want to make it right. Bless you all!
o
===========================================================================================================
Thank you for posting this. I did not see this thread, before I posted my similar expieriance in......'what I did with my rig today'. I also found more than I could pickup by myself. Thinking a group effort will be needed. Good Luck.

PS: here are the pictures I posted on the other thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
WOW! I never knew this was as much of a problem in the western states. I have always seen less trash out there than I have seen back home in the Southeastern US. Absolutely ridiculous here. I have no pictures but we just got back from camping along the banks of one of the most pristine trout streams in the southeast and the trash left by idiots was staggering. Foam to go clamshells, ice bags, cans, you name it. There is a special place in hell for people who litter. We ALWAYS leave the place better than we found it. That's about all you can do.

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
WOW! I never knew this was as much of a problem in the western states. I have always seen less trash out there than I have seen back home in the Southeastern US. Absolutely ridiculous here. I have no pictures but we just got back from camping along the banks of one of the most pristine trout streams in the southeast and the trash left by idiots was staggering. Foam to go clamshells, ice bags, cans, you name it. There is a special place in hell for people who litter. We ALWAYS leave the place better than we found it. That's about all you can do.
I've been planning to put together a trail clean up ride in the Tellico area. Sounds like you were on North River. Let me know if you might want to help out.

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Yep I think it’s a problem everywhere. Education seems to be the only solution besides people like us picking up after those who don’t care. Not one to be negative but it sure is frustrating. Just ordered a trasharoo so I’m never without the means to pick up somebody else’s trash as well as my own haha!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Yep I think it’s a problem everywhere. Education seems to be the only solution besides people like us picking up after those who don’t care. Not one to be negative but it sure is frustrating. Just ordered a trasharoo so I’m never without the means to pick up somebody else’s trash as well as my own haha!
It's infuriating, for sure. I try to keep telling myself that I'm being the change I want to see, and knowing that there's a big community like OB (and others I belong to like 4wd Association of BC) who are out constantly doing the same is encouraging

• Love
Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It's infuriating, for sure. I try to keep telling myself that I'm being the change I want to see, and knowing that there's a big community like OB (and others I belong to like 4wd Association of BC) who are out constantly doing the same is encouraging
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What keeps me from being discouraged, is the knowledge that what I do and other's like me, help in some way to minimize the impact of the clueless. And realize that if I did not try, then it would just be worse out there. By keeping this subject alive, we help educate those separate from actual/physical examples just by them reading about it.

FOR EXAMPLE #2:
If 3 couples observe you or people around you (group) picking up trash that is yours or not, maybe 1 or 2 of them will follow your lead. That there is a win, as they in the future are likely to continue what they observed your group doing. A kind of 'pay it forward' I am glad this thread is getting some renewed interest as it is one of our main tenets for OB.:sunglasses:OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Leave it better than you found it............................instagram @desertrunner_lv

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

That’s a very mature and level headed outlook on the situation. I too am glad it is one of our tenants here. If we don’t do our best to make a difference, it’s left to the governing bodies to protect the resource. I’ve seen many wonderful trails close to home permanently gated off due to misuse.

It really is good to be part of a community that wants to make the situation better rather than look the other way!

Reactions: Desert Runner