Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Original content left for historical purposes:

Very pleased to announce that in response to Overland Bound member requests, we have a wonderful new top level addition to the forums:

Land Use - Leave It Better Than You Found It

It is available to both members and public and currently has two sub-forums:

Local Trail Cleanup Events - Trail Guardian
Planning a cleanup event? Post it here!​

Local Land Use Information and News
Please start one new thread for each local topic:​
- Posts must include the state and trail/area name in the title to make it easy to scan the threads. For example, "[CA] Oceano Dunes risk of closure" or "[CA] Work party to fix the water crossing on the Deer Valley Trail".​
- No political discussions or chit chat, just facts on what is happening.​

More sub-forums may be added, like a place to post links to local, national, and worldwide workshops and organizations that promote low-impact use and responsible recreation.

The Core Principles of Overland Bound include that A Connection To Nature Is Paramount, that you should Leave It Better Than You Found It, that there be No Barriers To Information, and that we Help Each Other and Engage In the Smallest Of Interactions.

The Land Use - Leave It Better Than You Found It forum help us live and share these principles.

Help Overland Bound spread the word by posting in the forums above about local trail improvement and clean-up efforts, land use issues, and opportunities to be involved.

Let others know what you are doing and how they can help!

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Very pleased to announce that in response to Overland Bound member requests, we have a wonderful new top level addition to the forums:

Please start one new thread for each local topic:
- Posts must include the state and trail/area name in the title to make it easy to scan the threads. For example, "[CA] Oceano Dunes risk of closure" or "[CA] Work party to fix the water crossing on the Deer Valley Trail".

More sub-forums may be added, like a place to post links to local, national, and worldwide workshops and organizations that promote low-impact use and responsible recreation.

The Core Principles of Overland Bound include that A Connection To Nature Is Paramount, that you should Leave It Better Than You Found It, that there be No Barriers To Information, and that we Help Each Other and Engage In the Smallest Of Interactions.

The Land Use - Leave It Better Than You Found It
forum help us live and share these principles.

Help Overland Bound spread the word by posting in the forums above about local trail improvement and clean-up efforts, land use issues, and opportunities to be involved.

Outstanding......thank you!!!

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I just visited one of my favorite shooting spots recently. I was on my mountain bike so couldn't really do clean up, but the place sure needed it. Anybody have good before and after photos to share of cleaning up an area and taking care of it?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
In my travels off the beaten path, it never ceases to amaze me how many bottles, food wrappers, and assorted trash i see that were pitched out of vehicle windows. You kind off sadly expect it on highways, but not on back gravel roads and trails. People who get into these back wood/trail areas have to work at it, and you would think they would appreciate the countryside more. I'm glad that companies like 'Trasheroo' have made it a point of pride to pack out what you pack in. It has become a status symbol, which in this case is GOOD.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I just visited one of my favorite shooting spots recently. I was on my mountain bike so couldn't really do clean up, but the place sure needed it. Anybody have good before and after photos to share of cleaning up an area and taking care of it?
That is a great idea on taking pictures! This leaving it better then how you found it is a great thing! I can't count how many times I have help pack other people messes!

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF

Please start one new thread for each local topic:
- Posts must include the state and trail/area name in the title to make it easy to scan the threads. For example, "[CA] Oceano Dunes risk of closure" or "[CA] Work party to fix the water crossing on the Deer Valley Trail".

The Land Use - Leave It Better Than You Found It
forum help us live and share these principles.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it and will also pass it along.

When I took my boys hunting in August, we came back with a full 30 gallon trash bag. The only stuff of ours was a few wrappers from granola bars and meat sticks. I was pissed. The fast food wrappers had me the most heated. I was 3 hours up the highway from the nearest fast food joint and 2 hours by atv off the road finding wrappers and bags.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
this is something i have always been passionate about, and its a big issue where i live. a few years ago our county landfill started to charge fees for general trash. it urks me so much when i find other peoples household trash being dumped in the woods. seriously they probably spent more on fuel driving it up there than they would have at the landfill. My grandfather and I would spend time cleaning the woods up when we would scout routes, and look for promising areas to hunt/fish. I remember how frustrated he would get, and we would spend hours cleaning up shells, beer cans, bottles, etc. he always said leave it better than you had it. its really cool to find like minded folks.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
this is something i have always been passionate about, and its a big issue where i live. a few years ago our county landfill started to charge fees for general trash. it urks me so much when i find other peoples household trash being dumped in the woods. seriously they probably spent more on fuel driving it up there than they would have at the landfill. My grandfather and I would spend time cleaning the woods up when we would scout routes, and look for promising areas to hunt/fish. I remember how frustrated he would get, and we would spend hours cleaning up shells, beer cans, bottles, etc. he always said leave it better than you had it. its really cool to find like minded folks.
Same here mate, trash all over camping spots. Mainly shot gun shells and beer cans. They need to make shot gun cases that break down over time, not this crap plastic that lazy people leave around after they blast their guns off at nothing. It’s ridiculous and moronic. I can’t stand it!!!!! If you’re going to go somewhere and destroy it with your garbage, I can only imagine their actual homes. I doubt they live with empty shells and cans all over their home but then again they may. I know it’s hard for rangers and what not to be everywhere checking on camp sites but it would be great to have a trash/recycling system setup along points on service roads or near popular camp spots, not just at state parks.

Reactions: Jaytperry89

willlord

Rank III

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Lord
For those of us that are sportsmen and women, BHA (backcountry hunters and anglers) often sponsors “public land days” where we go and clean up our public lands. Both they and we are both excellent groups and I am proud to be a part of organizations that are so diligent in preserving and conserving our wild resources!

I know I’m new around here, but I extend a genuine thank you for everyone that shares these values!

Reactions: CR-Venturer

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Make it a life style change.

My dog runs & swims at the beach, I pick up empties & trash.... and other dogs poop in the spring.
It is way easier to pick it up than to walk by and bitch about it.

Do it everyday. Yer heart will love ya for it.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello all,
I carry a claw hammer now because of this. I have been finding this all too often! This was all cleaned out of the trees where I camped last night, some I could not pull out! Vance.
88040536-1EBA-44FD-848A-9B542B6551A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Hello all,
I carry a claw hammer now because of this. I have been finding this all too often! This was all cleaned out of the trees where I camped lady night, some I could not pull out! Vance.
View attachment 101335
Hello all,
I carry a claw hammer now because of this. I have been finding this all too often! This was all cleaned out of the trees where I camped lady night, some I could not pull out! Vance.
View attachment 101335
It’s really nice seeing responsible people trying to help keep our lands clean. I thank you for your efforts! On that subject, we just got back from 6 days in the Alabama Hills, California. I spent the entire first day cleaning up the campsite of about 100 nails and screws that were left over from individuals campfires. They were all over the area where you park and drive. It’s terrible all that and the broken glass and who needs that getting into your tires. I now also bring extra trash bags and always plan on a major clean up of the area I camp. Thanks to all of you who do the same.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Hello all,
I carry a claw hammer now because of this. I have been finding this all too often! This was all cleaned out of the trees where I camped last night, some I could not pull out! Vance.
View attachment 101335
That's what's nice about having the Diamondback cover on the back of my truck. Even though I built a RTT rack on it I can still open the front half of the cover where I have a tool bag with hammer plus a lot of other tools such as a crowbar, shovel, branch cutters, etc. I even have a chainsaw that stays in the back of my truck on a regular basis. Right now that area is a little disorganized but I'm working on organizing it better so things are easier to access and use.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

One of my neighbors works for the Forest Service. Most of the money collected from camping at the pay sites goes to pay for the cleanups from the people camping. Maintenance has to come from the general budget. I do wonder why people seem to not care about cleaning up after them selves? Living in tourist cities and towns in along the beach, and even places like Chelan, I have always seen a problem with people and trash. But I am proud of all our OB Members, and others that do their part to take the time to clean up areas they visit! Thank-you! Vance.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
One of my neighbors works for the Forest Service. Most of the money collected from camping at the pay sites goes to pay for the cleanups from the people camping. Maintenance has to come from the general budget. I do wonder why people seem to not care about cleaning up after them selves? Living in tourist cities and towns in along the beach, and even places like Chelan, I have always seen a problem with people and trash. But I am proud of all our OB Members, and others that do their part to take the time to clean up areas they visit! Thank-you! Vance.

Maybe there needs to be a clean up deposit like renters of houses pay, but then it would only work if there is a host on site....

Jim