Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I don’t agree with this at all. I don’t know which RR he’s got, maybe it’s an early one, but EAS systems as a whole get an undeserved bad rap. By the time it hit the LR3 and the RRS they had it figured out and reliable. I don’t understand why some people are in such a hurry to get rid of it.
^^x2. EAS actually helps with articulation. More importantly, the self-leveling prevents sags when towing & improves cornering. I’ve gone from EAS to coils, and I regret it. I will never replace EAS with coils again.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I don’t agree with this at all. I don’t know which RR he’s got, maybe it’s an early one, but EAS systems as a whole get an undeserved bad rap. By the time it hit the LR3 and the RRS they had it figured out and reliable. I don’t understand why some people are in such a hurry to get rid of it.
My guess would be articulation but I don't know. You know how LR and RR both get a bad rap anyway from people who know nothing about these great Vehicles.
I think everyone should watch the many video's on u-tube about all of these vehicles before they judge them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
^^x2. EAS actually helps with articulation. More importantly, the self-leveling prevents sags when towing & improves cornering. I’ve gone from EAS to coils, and I regret it. I will never replace EAS with coils again.
Until I read this post I have never heard anyone support your views on air versus springs. I don't know if you are in the minority or majority but it's funny how many articles there are on making the change over from air to spring.

I think it is the same debate as what goes on between solid axle versus coil spring suspension. I think it all depends on how you use your rig.

I am neither pro or con on air suspension, I can only say I like my spring suspension on my LRD2, mainly because it's just one less costly (if their is a problem) maintenance problem eliminated. Coil spring or leaf spring are both super dependable and easy to fix if damaged.

kevinh26

Rank I

Enthusiast I

southern NY
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Healy
Thanks for chiming in Ezalis! I have to say, I'm a little jealous of how immersed you are in Land Rover! I'm having trouble viewing your pics. though. Would love to see them, I have an aunt that lives near Portland and she tells me how beautiful it is out there every time I talk to her!

Come on everyone, let's see those other Rovers! Good, bad or ugly, they are all beautiful to me!
Hi, from the east coast (NY) been driving Land Rovers for 30 years presently own an '04 disco. I'll be going to Moab in Sept for the Land Rover event sponserd in part by AZLRO, going to be great.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Until I read this post I have never heard anyone support your views on air versus springs. I don't know if you are in the minority or majority but it's funny how many articles there are on making the change over from air to spring.

I think it is the same debate as what goes on between solid axle versus coil spring suspension. I think it all depends on how you use your rig.

I am neither pro or con on air suspension, I can only say I like my spring suspension on my LRD2, mainly because it's just one less costly (if their is a problem) maintenance problem eliminated. Coil spring or leaf spring are both super dependable and easy to fix if damaged.
The extra cost of an EAS repair over a coil spring repair is pretty negligible and (to me) not worth the cost savings over what you lose in functionality. For the cost of the conversion kit you could just about replace every major component in the EAS system. I’m curious how long the coil kits will last, what a single strut will run and where you’ll find them. I haven’t looked real hard, but I’ve only seen complete kits listed.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It started just fine, but runs like crap. Needs a new crank sensor, just have not had the time to put in to it. I miss driving it
This video is not relative to your Disco but I just have to post this video for the Disco lovers here.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I like the idea of EAS, but I've heard it's unreliable on the trail. I could be totally wrong though.
I WOULD CONSULT WITH SOMEONE FROM Atlantic British or Lucky8. They are informed professionals.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Hi, from the east coast (NY) been driving Land Rovers for 30 years presently own an '04 disco. I'll be going to Moab in Sept for the Land Rover event sponserd in part by AZLRO, going to be great.
Do you have any details on the Moab outing? I'd love to join the fun. I looked on the AZLRO website briefly and couldn't find it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Do you have any details on the Moab outing? I'd love to join the fun. I looked on the AZLRO website briefly and couldn't find it.
You can join AZLRO as a guest member (no charge) and get on their e-mail list. They are very active. I'll post there next news letter unless someone beats me to it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jan 26th was walnut canyon trail run according to their calendar. The calendar only goes out til may. I’ve signed up for an account, just waiting for approval.
These guys are very active but go a lot of places I wouldn't go. They have videos posted on their site that I have watched. They take their LR's in places you can't believe. They have a lot of serious rock crawlers that are full bodied DD rigs. I would send you the site but I don't know how with my Kendal fox.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
These guys are very active but go a lot of places I wouldn't go. They have videos posted on their site that I have watched. They take their LR's in places you can't believe. They have a lot of serious rock crawlers that are full bodied DD rigs. I would send you the site but I don't know how with my Kendal fox.
I doubt I'll do many trial ride with them as they're too far away. However, if they're doing a Moab run, that's only 3 1/2 hours away from me. I'll gladly become a member just to run Moab with Rover owners.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I doubt I'll do many trial ride with them as they're too far away. However, if they're doing a Moab run, that's only 3 1/2 hours away from me. I'll gladly become a member just to run Moab with Rover owners.
I'm a lot further away from Moab but AZ club in Tucson is only 2.5 hours away and I wouldn't mind hooking up with them when they go Overlanding.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Anyone going to the Great American Rover Rally in September? HOME | GARR
Not me, not @ $230.00. That's why I won't go to the Expo either. Too many promoters getting rich off the community. I'll stick to local club events that cost nothing other than the $10,000 it takes to build a rig.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman