JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Wanting to overland build and plan out my future upgrades and additions and document them through here. I’ll be working on a 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE “new to me” to take my family and I on future adventures!

I got the truck about 3 weeks ago and love it, love the capabilities of it, comfort, and add ons that come with it to make it a comfortable long trip vehicle as it is. However, some conservative and future extensive upgrades is what’s in store to make it that much better.

Hope to see you all on the trails soon and hope to learn from all of you guys and gals. Can’t wait to begin!

Day I took “ownership”:

3 days later added additional 2.5” lift:

03/27....tested the lift:

More to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Welcome to the Land Rover club. Looks like you could use some tires?

EAS lifts are fine if you like the look, but consider that it’s not going to solve any fitment issues with tires or make it ride better off road. Still have to be able to roll on the bump stops (get extensions if needed), fully articulate the tires. Most fitment issues are due to width, which are fixed with offset/spacers or moving frame horns, wires, plastic out of the way.

johnson rods and others (but jr are the worst) spread false info to justify selling rods. I spend way too much time trying to talk sense into owners of EAS vehicles. :)

I have extensive modifications but I consider the air suspension to be perfectly fine stock. I’ll bump it up 20-50mm with my gap iid tool if im doing something that might require it, but that is rare. I leave it stock most of the time and have 265/65R18 tires.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Welcome to the Land Rover club. Looks like you could use some tires?

EAS lifts are fine if you like the look, but consider that it’s not going to solve any fitment issues with tires or make it ride better off road. Still have to be able to roll on the bump stops (get extensions if needed), fully articulate the tires. Most fitment issues are due to width, which are fixed with offset/spacers or moving frame horns, wires, plastic out of the way.

johnson rods and others (but jr are the worst) spread false info to justify selling rods. I spend way too much time trying to talk sense into owners of EAS vehicles. :)

I have extensive modifications but I consider the air suspension to be perfectly fine stock. I’ll bump it up 20-50mm with my gap iid tool if im doing something that might require it, but that is rare. I leave it stock most of the time and have 265/65R18 tires.
Thanks for the info! And yes I agree with you on that and am considering the IIDTool BT in the future to help with that as well, that way like you said a “just in case” opportunity.

In the muddy pic it was able to go “extended mode” without issue and was super excited about it. It’s good to have a suspension system smarter than the rest of the vehicle....sometimes myself of course. I’m going to probably run 275/65/18 in the short run and 265/65/18 longer down when I remove the rod mod, not looking to take many technicals at all but more so for reassurance of width and sidewall.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

JayMacLR, Congrats on the rig, it's good to see a Land Rover in it's natural habitat! I too have a black LR4 (2012) and I absolutely love it! I've been slowing building as well. There are 6 of us (me, the wifey, and 4 kids ages 5-10) and the LR4 has been more than capable for pretty much everything I've thrown at it...easy, moderate, and hard trails, to include Elephant Hill in Moab with a fully stacked roof rack! Not sure of your family size or outdoor interest and I'm neither an expert nor the type of guy to say my way is best, rather, just a family man on a budget that appreciates the memories made and skills learned on the trails:

Camping/Overlanding Gear:
1) I took way to much gear and never used 3/4 of it. Take the approach of bring essentials and then if you really miss/need something, write it down and bring next time.
2) Doing dishes sucks...we now do a lot of foil dinners and also use disposable paper plates and paper bowls...3 in 1 titanium spork is compact and simple to clean
3) Portable toilet & toilet tent: My family's favorite feature! Middle of night the girls don't want to walk 1/4 mile to toilet, if there even is a toilet where we're at...instead they walk 20 feet from tent. I have WolfWise Portable Pop-Up Tent and a portable camping toilet, very basic made by camping commode I think...I like it b/c compact for packing.
4) Sleeping Pads: We use Nemo Cosmo Sleeping Pads for adults & Klymit Sleeping Pads for kids instead of cots (wife sleeps better now on her Nemo than on cots w/ pads)
5) Moon Lence Outdoor Ultralight Chairs ($29 on amazon): weigh less than 2 lbs (w/ case) and packed in case its only 14 inches long by 4 inches wide
6) Primus classic trail stove ($17 on amazon): Durability & sturdy than most backpacking stoves...used on this trip, easily held a pot with 8 cups of water and boiled in 3 min
7) Trekology Camping Portable Folding Table (22 & 27")
8) Portable Memory Foam Camping Pillow sold by cozy hut ($18.99 on amazon): The inflatable sea-to-summit are smaller and what I use for backpacking, but these are comfy

Rig Build:
1) Roof Rack: I needed it b/c I use the 3rd row. I have Gobi Stealth w/ ladder; love it. We walk, sit, hangout on roof as has chicken-wire design and plethora of anchor points.
2) Tactical Rover (TR) Rock Sliders: Top-notch quality and more importantly, TR sliders cover the air compressor, worth the price...can't recommend TR enough.
3) Tires: In future will purchase compomotives or Lucky8 18" rims and BFG KO2's, but until then, using Cooper Zeon LTZ 255/55R19 and they've been exceptional at gripping and climbing all types of terrain...have had down to 15-20psi for some knarly rock-trails...not much sidewall and not my ideal, but no issues with tires or rims.
4) Superwinch 9500 and Terrafirma Hidden Winch Mount from Lucky8: Not a lot of vids on how to, so I just took front apart and learned as I went during install.
5) Black Grill and Air Intakes: I used Plastidip: cheap solution, I really like the look, and the plastidip has held up great...worst case, easy touch ups.
6) Future things to do...too many to list>..

Sorry for the novel, but the LR4 has been a lot of fun and we're doing things as a family we never did before. Hope you enjoy your LR4 as much as we have!IMG_1591.JPG

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Update to the building! Just finished installing the bottom LED bar to the rig. Single stack LED bar I think 24”? Went on smooth just sucks to take everything off (bumper, lights, side well covers) just to get drill holes but wanted a 100% good contact for mounting.

Tied into existing fog lamps to assist with ease of install and use. Will be upgrading down the line with a switchboard for lighting with the additional lights I have planned for it.

Also, wanting to change the stock fogs to something to match the light output of the bar. Any suggestions on the change out? LED? HID? a whiter halogen?

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
JayMacLR, Congrats on the rig, it's good to see a Land Rover in it's natural habitat! I too have a black LR4 (2012) and I absolutely love it! I've been slowing building as well. There are 6 of us (me, the wifey, and 4 kids ages 5-10) and the LR4 has been more than capable for pretty much everything I've thrown at it...easy, moderate, and hard trails, to include Elephant Hill in Moab with a fully stacked roof rack! Not sure of your family size or outdoor interest and I'm neither an expert nor the type of guy to say my way is best, rather, just a family man on a budget that appreciates the memories made and skills learned on the trails:

Camping/Overlanding Gear:
1) I took way to much gear and never used 3/4 of it. Take the approach of bring essentials and then if you really miss/need something, write it down and bring next time.
2) Doing dishes sucks...we now do a lot of foil dinners and also use disposable paper plates and paper bowls...3 in 1 titanium spork is compact and simple to clean
3) Portable toilet & toilet tent: My family's favorite feature! Middle of night the girls don't want to walk 1/4 mile to toilet, if there even is a toilet where we're at...instead they walk 20 feet from tent. I have WolfWise Portable Pop-Up Tent and a portable camping toilet, very basic made by camping commode I think...I like it b/c compact for packing.
4) Sleeping Pads: We use Nemo Cosmo Sleeping Pads for adults & Klymit Sleeping Pads for kids instead of cots (wife sleeps better now on her Nemo than on cots w/ pads)
5) Moon Lence Outdoor Ultralight Chairs ($29 on amazon): weigh less than 2 lbs (w/ case) and packed in case its only 14 inches long by 4 inches wide
6) Primus classic trail stove ($17 on amazon): Durability & sturdy than most backpacking stoves...used on this trip, easily held a pot with 8 cups of water and boiled in 3 min
7) Trekology Camping Portable Folding Table (22 & 27")
8) Portable Memory Foam Camping Pillow sold by cozy hut ($18.99 on amazon): The inflatable sea-to-summit are smaller and what I use for backpacking, but these are comfy

Rig Build:
1) Roof Rack: I needed it b/c I use the 3rd row. I have Gobi Stealth w/ ladder; love it. We walk, sit, hangout on roof as has chicken-wire design and plethora of anchor points.
2) Tactical Rover (TR) Rock Sliders: Top-notch quality and more importantly, TR sliders cover the air compressor, worth the price...can't recommend TR enough.
3) Tires: In future will purchase compomotives or Lucky8 18" rims and BFG KO2's, but until then, using Cooper Zeon LTZ 255/55R19 and they've been exceptional at gripping and climbing all types of terrain...have had down to 15-20psi for some knarly rock-trails...not much sidewall and not my ideal, but no issues with tires or rims.
4) Superwinch 9500 and Terrafirma Hidden Winch Mount from Lucky8: Not a lot of vids on how to, so I just took front apart and learned as I went during install.
5) Black Grill and Air Intakes: I used Plastidip: cheap solution, I really like the look, and the plastidip has held up great...worst case, easy touch ups.
6) Future things to do...too many to list>..

Sorry for the novel, but the LR4 has been a lot of fun and we're doing things as a family we never did before. Hope you enjoy your LR4 as much as we have!View attachment 52665
Thank you for the suggestions! And love the roof rack! I’m wanting front runner rack myself. Another piece to save up for. And I too have a medium family with 3 kids my wife and myself. They love wheeling with me (my wife gets nervous though). I want to do the same with this one just to “get away” with it. Looking to rig it out for outlanding much like yours with grilling/food/storage/ etc..

I actually ordered some Atturo MT 255/55/19 today to test out. Good price and lots of good reviews on it. Still wanting to go to 18” was looking at lucky 8 myself for those steelies. Not many more options to be honest. I think XD makes a good one too (w/ spacers).

I live near Cheaha Mt. in Alabama and deal more with forest/mud/and grass but wanting to make a trip out to the trans-American once I can get away from work. Even if it’s a couple 100 miles on it it would be an adventure with the kids to experience. Really wanting a winch to have that extra piece of mind......

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Light bar looks awesome, I honestly didn't even think about placing bar on bumper...genius! If you don't mind I might steal your idea. Also, let me know how the Atturo's are, I like their beefed up sidewall, but didn't know much about them. Thanks for posting, keep 'em coming.

That's funny about the wife, my wife's the same (nervous). I usually go wheeling with just my boys, but took the wife this weekend and she was a little more pale than normal on the trail (haha), but she's been talking about it since, so she's coming around!

Lastly, how are you liking the lift/rods? Do you feel you still have good control of the Rover when the highway is winding? I'm out camping and hitting trails every few weeks and often I'm in situations where more lift would make things easier. I'm thinking IID tool and full time lift, either installing spacers on the struts or rods, especially when fitting bigger tires.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Light bar looks awesome, I honestly didn't even think about placing bar on bumper...genius! If you don't mind I might steal your idea. Also, let me know how the Atturo's are, I like their beefed up sidewall, but didn't know much about them. Thanks for posting, keep 'em coming.

That's funny about the wife, my wife's the same (nervous). I usually go wheeling with just my boys, but took the wife this weekend and she was a little more pale than normal on the trail (haha), but she's been talking about it since, so she's coming around!

Lastly, how are you liking the lift/rods? Do you feel you still have good control of the Rover when the highway is winding? I'm out camping and hitting trails every few weeks and often I'm in situations where more lift would make things easier. I'm thinking IID tool and full time lift, either installing spacers on the struts or rods, especially when fitting bigger tires.
Shoot I got the idea from the FB group I joined and it fit nicely. Would have liked it to be a bit more recessed but for adjustments I wanted to make sure the allens on the side were available to me. Will do. I’ll have them installed Friday after they arrive on Thursday. I’m going to try and hit some trails over the weekend and pack some camping gear and take my girls out.

I’m wanting the IID as well and ditch the links however these are doing just fine until then. Since I’m not going bigger rubber right now it is basically standard drivability I aligned it myself (my own rack grandfather did it by hand for 70 years) so that’s a must. Even though the camber was off by less than 3 degrees I’d advise to do it.

Since your going to be going 32 like me later down the road I’ve been reading that the strut extensions (bump stop extension) is a must in case a fault comes about and to save the wheel well from destruction. Even if the air fails and drops me to bump I’ll still be able to roll....slowly but roll all the same. Haven’t had any issues with it though. 30 min install with some generous WD40.

Side note. I’ll post the eBay listing on the light I got. Came with everything but instructions. And this placement gives a good center spread, I’ll leave the wide spread to the bar I want when I get my roof rack.....eventually lol

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

That LED bar makes me want one! Funny enough, I might have the perfect spot in a similar area, heh.

I grew up in Oklahoma! Mostly in highschool did I ever get called that, and occasionally out of irony now :P .

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
That LED bar makes me want one! Funny enough, I might have the perfect spot in a similar area, heh.

I grew up in Oklahoma! Mostly in highschool did I ever get called that, and occasionally out of irony now :P .
Lol I just figured out what you meant by “go by” thought you lived by Cheaha. Deemed the name Jay Mac from high school lol either that or “MadMax” (from constantly adding stuff to my vehicles hahaha)

Reactions: Lindenwood

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Update 4/5/18

Got some new shoes! Atturo 255/55/19 Trail Blade MT installed I will update everyone on the ride quality on and off road should be able to hit the trails tomorrow at some point with my kids (mild/easy trails).

BTW they look amazing. I know for sure down the rod on upgrading to 18” and beef up the side wall but for the stock format driver it looks great!

Reactions: mmbirtcher and DanR

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Those look mean, I like 'em! The sidewall looks extremely textured/tough and perfect for airing down. If I need to get new tires before I go to 18" I'm definitely doing these. As always, I look forward to hearing how they work when aired down to 15psi...and to a much lesser extent how they do on the highway.
What do you plan to do next, or do we have to wait for the unveiling? haha

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Is it mostly nearby off roading? Do you plan to cover lots of miles also?

It has been really is tempting to just go MT and have less trouble the few times you really need more tread, but I have to be honest with myself and assert that the on road, gravel, non-crazy off road is just fine on all terrains and that the comfort for the long trips is worth it. MT's look great, but for touring across the country, I find them less appealing. A good all terrain has always served me well.

Last edited:

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Those look mean, I like 'em! The sidewall looks extremely textured/tough and perfect for airing down. If I need to get new tires before I go to 18" I'm definitely doing these. As always, I look forward to hearing how they work when aired down to 15psi...and to a much lesser extent how they do on the highway.
What do you plan to do next, or do we have to wait for the unveiling? haha
Lol definitely unveiled at this point. Money flow is up there for accessories for this thing! Future upgrades will include:
- larger wheels (way down the road)
- larger tires
- snorkel (looks only. Not sinking this thing but to each their own)
- front runner rack
- rooftop tent
- overland the crap out of the trunk space (make it removable for family 3rd row) this will be a custom job for me on vaca pending the know how
- rock sliders
- on board air compressor
- dual battery set up with built inverter
- painted/powder stock wheels
- hidden winch system
- warn 10
- ultimately make it sustainable for short - long camping trips

Tires: they are whinny....smaller sidewall = higher pitch whine down the highway. Doesn’t bother me I just close windows and turn up the music.

Won’t be able to make it to any trails over the weekend due to work, but so far due to installer error I can’t give proper feedback on handling. (They didn’t remove the old weights!!!! So I’m getting vibration at the steering. Don’t worry I’ve checked all other variables as well, tie, cv, play, wobble.

On braking I can feel the additional weight and only amplifies the need to get rotors cut. I believe they are around 5-8lbs heavier than stock (passenger/suv) tires.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Plastidiped the intake covers, not the best job but doing what I wanted it to do: