JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Is it mostly nearby off roading? Do you plan to cover lots of miles also?

It has been really is tempting to just go MT and have less trouble the few times you really need more tread, but I have to be honest with myself and assert that the on road, gravel, non-crazy off road is just fine on all terrains and that the comfort for the long trips is worth it. MT's look great, but for touring across the country, I find them less appealing. A good all terrain has always served me well.
It’s a 70-30 split on that one. More so on highway miles but extra security in this Alabama red mud. Trails im sure it will be overkill however, here, it’s jacked up and 35” and heavy footed teens unfortunately. Just makes it harder for myself to enjoy the trail.

These are noisy I can say. Once upgraded to 18” some time in the future I want to take a look at there trail blade XT (I think they call it) it’s more of a mud terrain spacing with all terrain life and handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike W

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael

Also did the front grill and surround, will probably get some back to black for all trim and side moldings tonight just to have it match. We will see how long it holds up to bugs....

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Great work on the Plastidip...looks as good as the Black OEM grill! I just took mine through the wash after long road trip and plastidip is still going strong! From others that have done similar plastidip work, it seemed to last about a year on average before the weather started taking a toll in high heat. I'd be happy to redo just once a year for a meager $10...here's hoping it lasts longer. I don't mind paying extra for Land Rover accessories, but I draw the line at $650 for a grill painted black and $100 black air intake covers!

I like your to-do list. I'm starting to look at where to install a second battery as well gutting the tailgate and side rear internal compartments for tools and recovery gear instead of lugging around in tool bags. Regarding mounting my compressor, I may need to relocate my winch solenoid, which I mounted behind my passenger's side headlight.

The wifey said I had to sell most of my old camping gear to pay for my next big purchase; didn't have to tell my twice. Unfortunately, she asked the other day about our cots to use for a bunch of family coming into town, so about that hotel down the street...haha...don't get between a man and his mods

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Great work on the Plastidip...looks as good as the Black OEM grill! I just took mine through the wash after long road trip and plastidip is still going strong! From others that have done similar plastidip work, it seemed to last about a year on average before the weather started taking a toll in high heat. I'd be happy to redo just once a year for a meager $10...here's hoping it lasts longer. I don't mind paying extra for Land Rover accessories, but I draw the line at $650 for a grill painted black and $100 black air intake covers!

I like your to-do list. I'm starting to look at where to install a second battery as well gutting the tailgate and side rear internal compartments for tools and recovery gear instead of lugging around in tool bags. Regarding mounting my compressor, I may need to relocate my winch solenoid, which I mounted behind my passenger's side headlight.

The wifey said I had to sell most of my old camping gear to pay for my next big purchase; didn't have to tell my twice. Unfortunately, she asked the other day about our cots to use for a bunch of family coming into town, so about that hotel down the street...haha...don't get between a man and his mods
Thanks man! Take a look online I saw yesterday a kit that puts it in the old position where the LR3 has it. It relocates the ECU to the side of the aux battery and bolts right up under the existing weather cover. Should be the one I’m getting as well and of course some other power management gear.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Thanks man! Take a look online I saw yesterday a kit that puts it in the old position where the LR3 has it. It relocates the ECU to the side of the aux battery and bolts right up under the existing weather cover. Should be the one I’m getting as well and of course some other power management gear.

This one Jazzy:

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/au/front-runner-battery-bracket-land-rover-discovery-lr4.html

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

That is a right hand drive bracket.

You can use a factory battery tie down bracket for the left side (on a NAS left hand drive vehicle.) . You can also move the transfer case computer to the alarm horn bracket and move it under the brake lines. With a tiny bit of trimming in the lower front end, you can fit a decent sized aux battery. I managed to cram my Traxide SC-80, a bluesolar solar charge controller and its bluetooth module all in there.

Reactions: Jeremy Katka

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
That is a right hand drive bracket.

You can use a factory battery tie down bracket for the left side (on a NAS left hand drive vehicle.) . You can also move the transfer case computer to the alarm horn bracket and move it under the brake lines. With a tiny bit of trimming in the lower front end, you can fit a decent sized aux battery. I managed to cram my Traxide SC-80, a bluesolar solar charge controller and its bluetooth module all in there.

Thanks for the correction Mike! That looks exactly what I’m needing. I’m wanting to run something like this to the back as well:

If you know by chance where the wire loom runs or know of a way to get from aux to there? Want to get all the planning I need for when the project comes under way.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Just wanted to share the trip made today. CR 600-1 “Skyway Mountainway” in Talledega, AL about 30 min from Cheaha!

Reactions: DanR and AlabamaDan

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Just wanted to share the trip made today. CR 600-1 “Skyway Mountainway” in Talledega, AL about 30 min from Cheaha!

Co. = 33.19604, -86.06446

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Small add on to the Rover, some rain/wind deflectors added to the doors. Does its job well, not enjoying that you can see the 3M through it. Might be adding some additional tint to the flat areas to cover it in the future.

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Nice build. I've got an 08 LR3. My in-laws live in Bham and i've been wanting to hit up Talladega sometime. We should team up!

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Nice build. I've got an 08 LR3. My in-laws live in Bham and i've been wanting to hit up Talladega sometime. We should team up!
Heck yea! I’m down. Im near Oxford, can literally see the radio tower from here on Cheaha. Just PM sometime!

Reactions: eloist

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
Awesome rig, I'm in the Huntsville area with my 2008 Xterra Off-road 6M/T. No trips planned for a big, but I may be in the TNF area labor day weekend.

evomike

Rank III

Advocate II

before you go spending crazy money on mods i would consider doing the timing chain fix if it wasn't already done, do that and a water pump while you are in there for peace of mind that it wont break on you and leave you stranded.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Great looking rig, where’d you get the wind/rain visors from?

-Mike
Mike I got them from Amazon, they are lightly tinted however I would recommend going darker. I can see the 3M tape behind it. Or of course going with the in channel option.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Awesome rig, I'm in the Huntsville area with my 2008 Xterra Off-road 6M/T. No trips planned for a big, but I may be in the TNF area labor day weekend.
Thank you! We’re you able to make it out here? I’m sorry I’m just now replying my notifications on the app hasn’t worked on here. I’m planning on going back Up there hopefully next week.

JayMacLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
First Name
Jason
Last Name
McMichael
Currently working on these and replacing my front rotors and pads:

Any recommendations on these codes?

IMG_2961.JPGIMG_2955.JPGIMG_2956.JPGIMG_2957.JPGIMG_2958.JPGIMG_2959.JPGIMG_2960.JPGIMG_0014.JPG