Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Find a land broker in whatever area you end up choosing, do the land trust, use a PO Box address to set it up. PAY THE TAXES and insurance annually and you’ll be fine. If you have water onsite you might be better off, imo. Good luck!
Hey KAIONE,

Thanks for the reply and yes probably some kind of land trust would work. Saw there's also something called a conservation trust which might work since I'm thinking it would be land in the mountains or desert and it would be off grid withiut any major buildings etc.

Yes would need to pay the taxes etc but the taxes wouldn't be a lot since it wouldn't be a huge amount of land and it would be undeveloped or just recreational land.
Yes, be careful of a conservation trust, depending on what state you purchase in. I’m not a lawyer, but in some states once you create a conservation trust it’s a nightmare to build onsite and I’m not talking about a house, sometimes just a well or irrigation, or even parking stalls for autos so fluids don’t get on/in the soil, even just a shed larger than 1000sf. Also if you needed to sell the property it can decrease the value if certain conditions are met. So be careful and get a good land trust lawyer to help.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

If you are in any way associated, have a good liability policy. Crazy things that can go wrong:

A camper starts a wild fire taking out 1000 homes (Colorado this year)
Somebody overdoses and dies, and their family sue
Somebody gets hurt

The list goes on forever.
Not worried about liability. Its the same as any person who owns a house and invites friends over.

Just want to get some land and invite some friends to the land & we do stuff we like doing.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

If you are in any way associated, have a good liability policy. Crazy things that can go wrong:

A camper starts a wild fire taking out 1000 homes (Colorado this year)
Somebody overdoses and dies, and their family sue
Somebody gets hurt

The list goes on forever.
Not worried about liability. Its the same as any person who owns a house and invites friends over.

Just want to get some land and invite some friends to the land & we do stuff we like doing.
It can go bad in so many ways you wouldn’t believe. Family, friends, brothers uncles, cousins, it doesn’t matter. There’s MOUNDS of case law on all during each other like you wouldn’t believe. Very sad, seriously. Protect yourself, your family. If you lose the land one day, ok. But let it end there. My $.02, again I’m no lawyer.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Find a land broker in whatever area you end up choosing, do the land trust, use a PO Box address to set it up. PAY THE TAXES and insurance annually and you’ll be fine. If you have water onsite you might be better off, imo. Good luck!
Hey KAIONE,

Thanks for the reply and yes probably some kind of land trust would work. Saw there's also something called a conservation trust which might work since I'm thinking it would be land in the mountains or desert and it would be off grid withiut any major buildings etc.

Yes would need to pay the taxes etc but the taxes wouldn't be a lot since it wouldn't be a huge amount of land and it would be undeveloped or just recreational land.
Yes, be careful of a conservation trust, depending on what state you purchase in. I’m not a lawyer, but in some states once you create a conservation trust it’s a nightmare to build onsite and I’m not talking about a house, sometimes just a well or irrigation, or even parking stalls for autos so fluids don’t get on/in the soil, even just a shed larger than 1000sf. Also if you needed to sell the property it can decrease the value if certain conditions are met. So be careful and get a good land trust lawyer to help.
OK about conservation trust being no good. Don't really want to do any kind of trust or any kind of legal documents.

Really just want to get some land and be on the land with a few people who also want to be on the land. Sort of like getting a house and living in the house with a few other people. Should be pretty easy to do that.

Reactions: KAIONE

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

All the “don’t worry, be happy, do whatever” sounds like a recipe for disaster. I need some popcorn. Yes, I’m pessimistic…
I just want to be on some land with a few people who also want to be o the land. I don't like to worry about stuff but if the other people in the land want to worry about stuff or get lawyers or documents or whatever that's OK with ne and just want everyone to do what they feel like they want to do.

I don't want to do anything other than give someone my money to buy some land & I don't want to think about anything or get any kind of documents but if other people like documents that's OK with me and just tell me where to sign

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

So, on the Landcruiser UK/ European forum, there is a British guy who owns a house in the mountains with a big yard, and he is organizing some kind of annual event, anyone is welcomed. People are parked, and camp on his property, and they have some fun for a few days. So people drive from all over, meet there, do some local tracks, it is a very nice area, with plenty of off-roading to do.
Not the same thing as you want to do but similar in the way that it is not a commercial thing, he is not charging a cent and he is using his private property for this.

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Just buy the land.

Don't have any rules.

Let people do what they want.

A meeting place for anybody who wants to just hang out for free.

Hell, they already have one of these.

It's called San Francisco.