Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

I'm thinking about buying some land somewhere no more 1 o 2 hours from Chattanooga TN or possibly somewhere out West & looking for people who might be interested in living on the land & also using it as a sort of Base Camp for overland expeditions to other locations. I plan to live on the land & any other overlanders are welcome to live there free or set up camp there & anyone would be welcome to use the land as a staging ground for expeditions to places further afield.

I'm trying to see if I can exist totally off the grid so also would love to put the land in the name of someone else. I would buy the land and anyone would be welcome to live on the land full time or part time & any overlanders wpukd be welcome to set up camp on the land on way to other locations but first I need to find someone who would like to be the official owner of the land. Even though I would be buying the land, the land would be in someone else name -- so basically it would be free land for anyone who doesn't mind having land in their name. That way I can be totally off the grid (trying to see if it's possible to exist without my name on anything -- currently my overlanding truck is in the name of someone else and hoping to close down my bank accounts and exist without my name on any kind of documents, which is surprisingly not easy but would love to see if it's possible).

Anyway if anyone has any interest in being on land or using land within one or two hours of Chattanooga or possibky somewhere out West, let me know.

Reactions: Olyller

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

And then if you don’t act right, it would be really easy to kick you off the land. Who pays property taxes, etc? Any transaction of that degree would likely have to be reported to the IRS under the gift rules. Kinda violates the off-grid approach. This may not be as easy as you think. JMHO

Reactions: M Chattanooga
I'm thinking about buying some land somewhere no more 1 o 2 hours from Chattanooga TN or possibly somewhere out West & looking for people who might be interested in living on the land & also using it as a sort of Base Camp for overland expeditions to other locations. I plan to live on the land & any other overlanders are welcome to live there free or set up camp there & anyone would be welcome to use the land as a staging ground for expeditions to places further afield.

I'm trying to see if I can exist totally off the grid so also would love to put the land in the name of someone else. I would buy the land and anyone would be welcome to live on the land full time or part time & any overlanders wpukd be welcome to set up camp on the land on way to other locations but first I need to find someone who would like to be the official owner of the land. Even though I would be buying the land, the land would be in someone else name -- so basically it would be free land for anyone who doesn't mind having land in their name. That way I can be totally off the grid (trying to see if it's possible to exist without my name on anything -- currently my overlanding truck is in the name of someone else and hoping to close down my bank accounts and exist without my name on any kind of documents, which is surprisingly not easy but would love to see if it's possible).

Anyway if anyone has any interest in being on land or using land within one or two hours of Chattanooga or possibky somewhere out West, let me know.
You may look into setting it up as a land trust. This way the property is owned by the trust and not an individual. Can also set some guidelines on how the land is to be used.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Hadn't thought of that & yes a land trust might work. Basically I just want to get some land & create a sort of Overlanding Base Camp village on the land (not necessarily any buildings, mostly just a base camp for overlanding expeditions, but might build some basic buildings & other overlanders can build whatever they like on the land).

I don't like dealing with documents so guess I would just like to get the land in the easiest way possible & have the land not be in my name (since I'm trying to see if I can exist totally off the grid). Not thinking about really lots of land (possibly just a few acres depending on the location). Either way, though, yes possibly a land trust would be easiest. Really whatever would be easiest & mostly would just love to find people who like the idea of having a sort of Base Camp village or staging ground or gathering place for overlanders (also a place where people can be long term if they're not traveling).

Also if there are things other people would like to do in the land that would be excellent, whether it be growing food, making pottery, building some kind of off grid houses or making the location a retreat for other people or whatever. Really I just like the idea of getting some land and finding dome people who like the location and people can do anything they like on the land. Some people might be into overlanding expeditions (which is what I like to do) & other people might like to do other things but the idea is anyone can be fling anything they like.

That's the idea anyway. : )

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Find a land broker in whatever area you end up choosing, do the land trust, use a PO Box address to set it up. PAY THE TAXES and insurance annually and you’ll be fine. If you have water onsite you might be better off, imo. Good luck!

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

The idea is nice and can be very successful, there are other guys out there who do this for their communities, clubs .
You are on a forum, on the internet. On the off the grid thing, owning with proper papers a small piece of land is the least of the issues you have, concerning your privacy. Personally I would not bother with complicated legal arrangements..

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Buy the land for you and only you, then you can allow others come and stay either temp or longer, that way if you get some drunk loud gun shooting fool, you ask him to leave and there are no legal issues.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

And then if you don’t act right, it would be really easy to kick you off the land. Who pays property taxes, etc? Any transaction of that degree would likely have to be reported to the IRS under the gift rules. Kinda violates the off-grid approach. This may not be as easy as you think. JMHO
Hi Tundracamper,

I'm not thinking really lots of land, possibly even just an acre or so. Taxes wouldn't be a lot & I would pay the taxes or I would give cash for taxes etc to the person or people whose name is on the land.

Think a person can get some amount of land as a gift without needing to pay gift taxes and probably could get enough land without needing to pay any gift tax. It would be just land with nothing built on it so could be less than the limit for gifts. Orif the land costs more than the limit possibly it could be in the names of more than one person.

Either way, it wouldn't be a gift exactly. If the land were ever to be sold for any reason I would probably want to get the money back. But not really worried about that and really just want to find people who like the idea of having an overlanding base camp & don't mind having land in their names. Possibly I'll give up on my project of trying to be totally off the grid without my name on any kind of document or bank account etc, but I like the idea of seeing if it's possible & if there's anyone who doesn't care if land is in his or her name (probably most people don't care) I'm happy to just give someone the monet to buy the land or do whatever is easiest to just get some land and make it a Basecamp or a place where people cam do stuff they like doing.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

This would be an interesting looking contract, good luck.
Or if anyone wants any kind of contract that's also OK and happy to do any contract anyone wants. But mostly I just want to find an easy way to get some land and use it as a sort of off grid base camp for overlanding expeditions & doing stuff people like to do.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Find a land broker in whatever area you end up choosing, do the land trust, use a PO Box address to set it up. PAY THE TAXES and insurance annually and you’ll be fine. If you have water onsite you might be better off, imo. Good luck!
Hey KAIONE,

Thanks for the reply and yes probably some kind of land trust would work. Saw there's also something called a conservation trust which might work since I'm thinking it would be land in the mountains or desert and it would be off grid withiut any major buildings etc.

Yes would need to pay the taxes etc but the taxes wouldn't be a lot since it wouldn't be a huge amount of land and it would be undeveloped or just recreational land.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

The idea is nice and can be very successful, there are other guys out there who do this for their communities, clubs .
You are on a forum, on the internet. On the off the grid thing, owning with proper papers a small piece of land is the least of the issues you have, concerning your privacy. Personally I would not bother with complicated legal arrangements..
Hey leeloo,

Interesting and I didn't know there were other people doing something similar. Would love to know more about what they're doing. Are they people on Overland Bound?

Totally agree about not needing any complicated legal stuff. It shouldn't be difficult to just get a bit of land in a nice location and use it as a Basecamp for overlanding expeditions. Basically just want to do whatever is easiest.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If you are in any way associated, have a good liability policy. Crazy things that can go wrong:

A camper starts a wild fire taking out 1000 homes (Colorado this year)
Somebody overdoses and dies, and their family sue
Somebody gets hurt

The list goes on forever.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Buy the land for you and only you, then you can allow others come and stay either temp or longer, that way if you get some drunk loud gun shooting fool, you ask him to leave and there are no legal issues.
Hey JimSoG,

Yep, might be easiest to just get some land in my name and anyone who wants to be there can be there.

But still like the idea of seeing if I can be a person whomlives totally off the grid without my name on any kind of papers or documents so would be excellent if there were someone who would like to set up a sort of Base Camp village and doesn't care about having land in his or her name.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

would love to put the land in the name of someone else
sounds like a good match would be a person that owns an excavator and doesnt ask a lot of questions....:grinning:
Hey grubworm,

An excavator might be useful. But person asking questions is OK and no problem. Or not asking any questions also OK and no problem.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Something about this brings a 60's hippie commune to mind.:dizzy:
old man,

Definitely not thinking of any kind of commune

Just a sort of Base Camp for overlanding expeditions. And anyone who likes doing other things can do whatever they like doing. Definitely no commute rules or anything. Just some land in a nice location where people can do stuff they like doing and come and go as they like etc.