Dloflin13

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Danielle
Last Name
Loflin
Hello! I am trying to plan a three day adventure with my husband and am thinking about the land between lakes in Kentucky. I was wondering if this is something that is doable in January as well as if it would require three days or is it more of a day trip? We will be driving a F150 that has been built for adventuring and sleeping in hammocks. I appreciate any info!

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

LBL is great in January, though through the fall right into the early spring you have to keep in mind hunting seasons when picking campsites. It’s not a deal breaker I just plan a backup campsite in each state(the park straddles TN/KY line) for the trip. If I check in with the rangers and they tell me it’s rifle season on deer in KY at that time I default to the TN side site for that trip.

Dloflin13

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Danielle
Last Name
Loflin
LBL is great in January, though through the fall right into the early spring you have to keep in mind hunting seasons when picking campsites. It’s not a deal breaker I just plan a backup campsite in each state(the park straddles TN/KY line) for the trip. If I check in with the rangers and they tell me it’s rifle season on deer in KY at that time I default to the TN side site for that trip.
Thanks for the info! I’ll be sure to check with the rangers about the hunting season. I am having a hard time grasping how big the area is, do you know of any gpx maps for this area that would work with Gaia?

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Was just out there a couple weeks ago. Love it! Plan to go back soon with some friends.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Thanks for the info! I’ll be sure to check with the rangers about the hunting season. I am having a hard time grasping how big the area is, do you know of any gpx maps for this area that would work with Gaia?
I’ve found a few on the internet. Visit Turkey Bay Offroad Area, $20 for 3 day pass, they have marked trails, and a give you a map.

LBLTaco

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northwest, Tennessee
First Name
Stewart
Last Name
Newcomb
If you're really into off roading Turkey Bay is great, and there are a ton of fire roads worth exploring that can be challenging as well... especially if it's wet. I love the history of the area and there is still a lot of abandoned stuff hiding in LBL if you're into that kind of thing.
I should have the gpx stuff saved I will see if I can find it.

Found it and attached what I have... although it looks like I had deleted a lot of the roads I didn't want. There is a more complete one out there that includes Turkey Bay

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: young

Dloflin13

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Danielle
Last Name
Loflin
If you're really into off roading Turkey Bay is great, and there are a ton of fire roads worth exploring that can be challenging as well... especially if it's wet. I love the history of the area and there is still a lot of abandoned stuff hiding in LBL if you're into that kind of thing.

Found it and attached what I have... although it looks like I had deleted a lot of the roads I didn't want. There is a more complete one out there that includes Turkey Bay

GPX viewer
Thank you so so much!

Reactions: LBLTaco

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

GPX viewer
Thanks for the gpx files.