• Total voters

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

Hey Overlandbound members!

This is my first tread here. Ive been trying to get 35s back on my truck for a while now and finally the moment came when I got a unrepairable nail in my stock tire. and instead of buying just 1 replacement tire I am just gonna get a whole new set. I am debating on getting Tread Wright Wardens in 315-70r17 for $189 ea. or the kumho road venture at51 for roughly the same price.

Now discount tire here that showed me it was unrepairable said they would price match an A/T for my truck in that size. which ended up being the Kumho Road venture at51 for around the same price.( they would not mount treadwright tires for their liability reasons)

my big overland adventure is going to be From Ohio to Idaho and back being on and off road of course. the treadwrights have a better tread design IMO looking like the BFG KO. but make me nervous(being remolds) for a long distance trip at high way speeds and the occasional offroad to my camp sites. the AT51's look decent to me just a little packed in the treads. Kumhos also have a 55k treadlife warranty. SO my question to you guys, would be which tire would you recommend and why? Also how do you think the kumhos would preform for mild offroading to get to some good campsites?

Some other information; I have 2 spare tires from my last set of (35s) which are 315-70r17 Goodyear duratracs which got pretty noises for me at highway driving.

appreciate the help guys. and happy overlanding!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

I would look at the Cooper AT3 or the Falken AT3 both are good value and have 50k tread guarantee. They may be 315 75 17 which is close enough foe government work.

Reactions: nparker72

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

If Discount tire is going to price match on the Kumhos, I would go with those over the tread wrights in a heat beat.

Side note, How often were those Duratracs rotated? I rotate mine every oil change and they are not noisy as far as an all terrain tire is concerned.

Bennett’s

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kenosha Wi
Member #

I'm running the AT51 on my lifted Astro. I haven't had any issues although I haven't tried them in anything serious yet but so far so good. Had a few friends running the Cooper's and they had issues with sidewall blowouts when airing down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

If Discount tire is going to price match on the Kumhos, I would go with those over the tread wrights in a heat beat.

Side note, How often were those Duratracs rotated? I rotate mine every oil change and they are not noisy as far as an all terrain tire is concerned.
I actually bought them used and rotated them frequently. But they were used. The front went bald due to a bad wheel bearing. My buddy with a jeep had duratracs getting loud

Sent from my SM-G930P using OB Talk mobile app

Rodtheviking

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I am considering the Kumhos too, I have head and read good things about them. And at 160ish a tire for Lt's is a great deal.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

That's a decent price. Are the load range d or e? I paid almost double that for my load range e Cooper stt pros in the same size load range e.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

That's a decent price. Are the load range d or e? I paid almost double that for my load range e Cooper stt pros in the same size load range e.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
They are load range D. which is the same as the duratracs I have too.

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

I appreciate everyones opinions and words on this! Should be pulling the trigger in the next week or so. An early Christmas gift to myself and my truck.

Edit things came up and had to waittil a better time

Last edited:

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

So I pulled the trigger on the kumho road venture at51's and got them new for a steal! $177 a tire and they are pretty much 35s. (315-70r17) should be here in the next week and mounted. And Ill be updating with my opinion on these tires throughout the life of them!

Reactions: Mike G

Andrew24

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

GTA Ontario
Member #

ive had mine for about 25000km now, great tire hardly any where infact the sidewall lugs still have the knobbies. might step up to bfg's when the time comes though