Krazy Beaver Super Shovel

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Yeah replacing the THULE roof rack set up with either Front Runner or Rhino Rack system
I used Thule for almost twenty years (and designed it for 10 - including the Traverse foot on your roof) and let me tell you, I love my Rhino setup..
I love knowing that they test their stuff in real life conditions just so they can rate them for off-road use. And let me tell you what, it blows my mind how sturdy and well made that stuff is.
I'll always have a place for Thule in my heart - but for my vehicle, which I take off-road all the time, Rhino is the strong move.

I have no experience with Front Runner besides drooling over their stuff from afar.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Hey Cerutti, We got them in !!!
Nice!!! I just picked up a Krazy Beaver shovel also and a tan trasharoo off of northridge4x4. Need to get in the Krazy Beaver site and get me a mud shovel as well they both look pretty bad a$$! They will be mounted on my Gobie Stealth Roof Rack when it comes in from a 8-10 week build to order. Lol

Reactions: TMP

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
I've got one, love it. Shovel head and tynes are thick and sturdy!
I'm on San Francisco peninsula if someone wants you have a look. [emoji6]

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Got my Krazy Beaver Shovel/ zombie killer in also with a Trasharoo bag to depose of the body parts. Lol. The best part was that they even threw in a little bag a skittles for Halloween. Lol.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Got my Krazy Beaver Shovel/ zombie killer in also with a Trasharoo bag to depose of the body parts. Lol. The best part was that they even threw in a little bag a skittles for Halloween. Lol.

Awesome - You'll love the #murderspork! PROTIP: Put a trash bag/liner in the Trasharoo *before* adding body parts. (Don't ask me how I know ;-)

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Awesome - You'll love the #murderspork! PROTIP: Put a trash bag/liner in the Trasharoo *before* adding body parts. (Don't ask me how I know ;-)
Lmao! 10-4. [emoji12] I think I read that somewhere also even though it has the holes on the bottom.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

In line with what another posted said about actually needing to shovel hard ground, wouldn't an axe or, especially, a pick be far usable for breaking through a tough layer in a pinch? I think Id rather jack-and-pack under the tires than chip away at hard earth wedged against the frame, but I can certainly imagine needing to hack through hard ground to make a fire pit or cat hole.

I realize this practice can potentially dull an axe bit or, worst case, chip and ding it on subsurface rocks. But, such damage can be repaired without a whole lot of effort. A pick is designed for exactly this so that would certainly be better.

I have no doubt it is well built, but watching the OP using it to chip away at fossilized prairie was agonizing :P . I totally get the benefits of having one tool that can do several things reasonably well, but I feel like a decent regular shovel paired with an axe (or an axe-pick hybrid) would be more useful and cost about the same amount of money, no?

Last edited:

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

This shovel is already on my must have lists, which is to say, will be arriving within the month. Always say, better to have it and not need it, than the alternative.

Cheers to the great write up on this!

Reactions: Schake

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

Thanks for the idea.. I think I can make this at the machine shop.

—————————

Hey Now!

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
In line with what another posted said about actually needing to shovel hard ground, wouldn't an axe or, especially, a pick be far usable for breaking through a tough layer in a pinch? I think Id rather jack-and-pack under the tires than chip away at hard earth wedged against the frame, but I can certainly imagine needing to hack through hard ground to make a fire pit or cat hole.

I realize this practice can potentially dull an axe bit or, worst case, chip and ding it on subsurface rocks. But, such damage can be repaired without a whole lot of effort. A pick is designed for exactly this so that would certainly be better.

I have no doubt it is well built, but watching the OP using it to chip away at fossilized prairie was agonizing :P . I totally get the benefits of having one tool that can do several things reasonably well, but I feel like a decent regular shovel paired with an axe (or an axe-pick hybrid) would be more useful and cost about the same amount of money, no?
A pick and a shovel would be nice. I've never carried a pick though. Maybe I should. Certainly would not look as BAD ASS!!!

-M

Reactions: RainGoat

OkieGobi

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawton, Oklahoma, USA
Member #

I've owned one for a couple of years now. Spendy? sure Is it worth it? to me it has been. I've used it for recovery, digging fire pits, clearing rubble piles, etc... If nothing else, the looks on peoples faces when they ask if you have a shovel and you pull out a Krazy Beaver is priceless.

Reactions: RainGoat

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ve owned one for a little over a year and while it’s very well made I prefer my Forest Service shovel by Council Tool. There has been some serious design study put into this shovel.
http://counciltool.com/shop/fire-axesforcible-entry-toolsfire-shovels/forest-fire-shovel-solid-shank-and-38-handle/

I pair this shovel with my Rogue hoe and I can do just about anything for trail work.
https://roguehoe.com/

An axe should NEVER be used in the ground, you will not only dull it instantly but also chip the bit. Use a hoe, pick, or mattock.

Reactions: Schake and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’ve owned one for a little over a year and while it’s very well made I prefer my Forest Service shovel by Council Tool. There has been some serious design study put into this shovel.
http://counciltool.com/shop/fire-axesforcible-entry-toolsfire-shovels/forest-fire-shovel-solid-shank-and-38-handle/

I pair this shovel with my Rogue hoe and I can do just about anything for trail work.
https://roguehoe.com/

An axe should NEVER be used in the ground, you will not only dull it instantly but also chip the bit. Use a hoe, pick, or mattock.
I bought a Krazy Beaver shovel to complement my long-handled shovel and find it to be really rugged. It's particularly good in snow and ice, too, where a regular shovel head might not be.

When you look at prices for good shovels at farm supply stores, the Krazy Beaver shovel is well worth the price.

The head is made of 13 gauge heat treated tempered steel, twice as thick as a regular garden shovel or big box store shovel, and you can feel the difference.

The handle is fiberglass, quite strong, and so far seems to take a beating without complaint. I've seen video reviews of these where some folks don't seem to realize that the upper part of the handle is hollow for eleven inches and that you can store any number of oddball or survival items in there. That's what the quick-release pin and removable handle are for. Nice feature, really, especially if taking it on a trail walking or strapped for space in a smaller vehicle.

If you're thinking about one, keep an eye on their site for factory seconds. Got mine as a second for an additional ten bucks off and for the life of me can't find anything wrong as far as blemish, scratch, deformation, or anything. I used the savings to get the shovel guard, which is kind of a pain to put on, but will keep my other gear from getting caught/scratched up by the teeth. I don't hang all my stuff outside.

@Cort - I really like the look of the Council Tool Forest Fire Shovel. For more occasional use with a guy like me, which is no fire trail work but more general camp use, is it worth the extra expense over a good long-handled shovel from farm supply stores? It's about 2.5 times the cost of mine, but sure looks rugged and I like the longer shank on it.

Which one of the Rogue Hoe tools would you recommend for general off-road and camp use? They have a wide selection. I like the looks of the Beast, which is much like larger mattocks I've used before with edges going both vertical and horizontal (I think they mean Pulaski style, not Pulsaski), and like the double-edged Hoe as well.

And yeah, axes, even cheap ones, should not be used in the ground.

I was camping in the Smoky Mountains and three guys from Baton Rouge camped a little ways away. I could tell from the way they were doing things they hadn't camped much. One of them came over when they saw I was splitting wood and asked to borrow my axe. I looked at him with raised eyebrows over the top of my glasses like an old man and asked "You ever use an axe before?"

He kind of looked sideways, scuffled his feet in the dirt, then said "Oh, maybe I shouldn't borrow it."

I gave him a saw, because that's what he really needed for the wood he had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schake

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I like the idea but don't want to give up storage space for another tool so for now Im sticking with my Council Combi Tool its worked great for years on the fire line and continues to work off road.

cntfsscombi.jpg