Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ah, got it. Actually, it belonged to a geologist I almost married 20 years ago. That thing was always at her hip when she was in the field.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ahh. Was she from Zihuatanejo? ;-)
Oh boy, here we go....okay, I googled it this time. City in Mexico. Still don’t get the reference. It’s entirely possible that I’m just terrible at this game.....(but I checked & we’re about the same age, so it’s not generational)

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Oh boy, here we go....okay, I googled it this time. City in Mexico. Still don’t get the reference. It’s entirely possible that I’m just terrible at this game.....
lol. You're dyin' on the vine. In the movie, Andy used a rock pick to tunnel out of the prison and sneak off to his retirement in Zihuatanejo....

You should watch the movie. Anything with Morgan Freeman is worth the time.

Reactions: L2828 and RainGoat

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have, but it was back when it came out & I clearly don’t remember it so well. I think I may be having trouble differentiating it from “The Green Mile”

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunch Box

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Those that have your Krazy Beaver on the roof rack, how's the fiberglass handle holding up in that environment? sometimes fiberglass gets beat up by UV rays & you'll eventually get tiny shards of 'glass in your hands.
Thanks in advance for your replies
I keep mine covered, so it's holding up fine. That said, I haven't used it for anything.

-M

Reactions: RainGoat

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Meh. You guys ain't cool till you rock one of these:

View attachment 77456

Army spends $85,000+ on a tactical vehicle. Includes $35 worth of recovery gear. Makes sense.....
Psh! Consider yourself lucky! Mine cost $200,000 and all I got was a stretcher box! No recovery gear at all!

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I have spent a LOT of time digging. I hunt with terriers.

I don't like plastic D handles on my shovels or spades. I'd rather have a T handle or a metal D with a wood insert.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want an english rabbiting spade like one of the Bulldogs, or a Bulldog Powerlite. The rabbiting spade is narrower, moves less dirt per scoop, but I'd rather three scoops I can lift than two I can't, and the T handles are more comfortable in the long run than the D handles. The Powerlite is a beast, has big/wide rear-turned steps. Both can be sharpened and keep an edge. (https://bulldoghandtools.co.uk/) no, I'm not in the UK :)

If you are in rocks or roots, the teeth on that Krazy Beaver are going to be bent or stuck. I know that from trying other brands like it.

Toughest shovel I ever had (and still have after nearly 30 years) that's intentionally built to be used in narrow/deep holes: I took a rusty but thick carbon steel blade from the barn - who knows how old it was. This had significant foot "steps" on the top. Used a buddy's forge to shape the socket to fit a straight instead of tapered handle, welded up a shorter than normal T handle using mild steel, bolted the blade to the handle with stainless bolts. It's easily kept sharp enough to cut roots and stuff, keep it washed and paint it every couple of years, and it works. It *is* heavier than my fiberglass handled shovel (even though the handle is shorter), and I wouldn't keep it strapped to the outside of my truck all the time, but it's tough as all heck.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Can also be used for zombies lol
In some states during fire season, you are required to have at minimum a shovel and 5 gallons of water.

If your also carrying a axe, you might think about having the....??????.....(Cant remember it's name). It might ber MAX-AXE? It has a shovel...axe...matock...pick-axe .attachments. someone will chime in on its name.

Offered in wood or plastic handles at one time. Wood is better if not carried all the time. Fiberglass if stored in the elements.

A better option than a multiple of separate tools.[emoji2]

Last edited:
Reactions: RainGoat

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

In some states during fire season, you are required to have at minimum a shovel and 5 gallons of water.

If your also carrying a axe, you might think about having the....??????.....(Cant remember it's name). It has a shovel...axe...matock...pick-axe .attachments. someone will chime in on its name.

Offered in wood or plastic handles at one time. Wood is better if not carried all the time. Fiberglass if stored in the elements.

A better option than a multiple of separate tools.[emoji2]
@Desert Runner are you thinking of the Hi Lift handle all? I have one I won as a door prize at a trail cleanup. If I remember right, it has a shovel, sledge, hoe, and I forget what else.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Or one of these: Max Multi-Purpose Tool. I’ve had mine about 15years. It cost way less then than I see them advertised for now.0280B154-0141-4ED5-97A9-72FE852E7A1F-2693-000003F144F581A1.jpg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Or one of these: Max Multi-Purpose Tool. I’ve had mine about 15years. It cost way less then than I see them advertised for now.View attachment 80063
This one.......Thx on the name. Almost bought one years ago. The need for that many tools just wasnt needed. Yah....price was alot cheaper....sigh

Timothy Vrieling

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fontana, CA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Vrieling
Member #

I have carried my Krazy Beaver for a year or so now and can fully endorse. I have used it in, rocky soil, sand, dirt and snow. love it. Want to encourage everybody to carry a Pulaski with them as well. Yes mine are ready for sharpening and paint. Will get to that this weekend.

TJ

Attachments

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Here are some more reasonably priced alternatives. I think the manufacturer is the same though. They are a little bit longer, which I like.
Seymour Midwest Structron Round Point Shovel $60
Round Point Shovel (Part#49632GR), Handle Type D-Grip, Handle Material Fiberglass, Handle Length 40", Blade Width 8-7/8", Blade Length 11", Blade Type Round, 12, Steel Blade Material
Sawtooth Shovel with Fiberglass D-Handle (Part#227858) 40"overall length, heavy-duty 12-ga. steel head & thick-wall fiberglass handle.
Dimensions: 50.0 x 9.0 x 4.0"
Weight: 4.5 Lbs