• HTML tutorial

Chromedragon

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stockton, CA
Member #

As the title implies for those Overlanders that keep things cold or cool along the way how do you do it.

The questions of interest that I have come up with so far.

1. Cooler(s) or Fridge
2. Size(s)
3. When on a trip where do you keep them.
4. Comments or recommendation

Ill start

1. We presently run coolers 2-3 we typically take week long trips and for two of us 2 coolers has been more than sufficient with minimal need for Ice. I have 1 yeti 45q these things work i got a good deal on it and am looking at the RTIC cooler line now to replace the Coleman 100q cooler we use as our secondary.
2.45q yeti and 2x 100q Coleman's that are in need of hinges and drain plugs after 3 seasons.
3. The yeti lives in the passenger side back seat of my truck. the Coleman fits in as needed in the bed.
4. I love the Yeti they work even there large travel tumblers work. The Colemans served us well and only broke down at the end of our latest trip along the north coast so looking to see what i can replace them with for our smaller trips as they are big but will fix them up for bigger groups trips that also happen.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I personally have always used coleman coolers, but i have started looking into fridge/freezer combos for the longer trips. I really like the ARB ones but man they are not cheap!

Chromedragon

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stockton, CA
Member #

I also grew up on the Coleman steel "belted" coolers fond memories by the lake digging into them for drinks and food. If I had not got a smoking deal on the yeti I would still be focused on the classics like Coleman. as soon as the RTIC's come in I will see about doing a review.

Reactions: Michael

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I had a Pelican 65Qt. It was just to big and bulky. I ended up selling it and getting a 80 Qt fridge. They are about the same size, and the fridge weighs less.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

I use a Yeti. They are indestructible, keep things cold forever, and also a bit pricey and large, but also well worth it. It's a big investment, but that's the key word. . .investment. Last cooler you'll ever need to buy.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

Do Yetis have a hasp to accept a lock?
Yes, All Yeti's have 2 hasps, one on each end. It's what gives them a bear proof rating with the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee when they are locked. They also have an accessory lock so that you can lock the cooler to your vehicle, roof rack, etc. . . to keep it where it belongs.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

I made the switch to a arb 50q fridge. ITS AMAZING!!! will not go back to a cooler unless im camping with a larger group

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Took a short family trip up to Traverse City, MI... Really would have been nice to have a fridge with the 2 kids (1yr and 3yr old boys) They constantly wanted a drink or a snack...the fridge would have been awesome! I need to bump it up a little higher on my priority list.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

For those of you who do have a fridge in your rig, do you leave it run all the time or just clean it out and shut it off when not on a trip?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
For those of you who do have a fridge in your rig, do you leave it run all the time or just clean it out and shut it off when not on a trip?
I have my ARB 50 qt full of drinks and keep it on all the time. I've heard (and I suppose I believe it) that it's better to keep it on and cool than to keep if off for extended periods, then start and cool down. Besides, I like having lots of cool drinks around! And it costs very little to keep it running.

edit: I take it out of the car, put it on the shelf in the garage and run it off 120V.

Dan.

ryanstl

Rank 0

Contributor I

I had a Pelican 65Qt. It was just to big and bulky. I ended up selling it and getting a 80 Qt fridge. They are about the same size, and the fridge weighs less.
I love my new Pelican 65. If you do the math it is actually 70 quarts. What I love is how sturdy it is, the handles are very useful, but the best part, besides being able to hold ice like advertised, are the latches. Price is also good. Got mine on Amazon for $270.

The downside is it is heavy. Fully loaded I have to have help loading it into the vehicle or trailer.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I love my new Pelican 65. If you do the math it is actually 70 quarts. What I love is how sturdy it is, the handles are very useful, but the best part, besides being able to hold ice like advertised, are the latches. Price is also good. Got mine on Amazon for $270.

The downside is it is heavy. Fully loaded I have to have help loading it into the vehicle or trailer.
load it while in the vehicle then no help needed!

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
30 year old 3 way electrolux rm212 series fridge freezer in my 34 year old van.
runs on 12v/240v/propane.
12v while travelling, propane when camped up.
Bloody useless unless the van is level within 3 degrees.
I shut it down and clean it out when I'm not on a trip.
Gonna swap it out for a Waeco crx50 , that thing will run on solar power alone.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have Maluna 110 QT and 50QT and a Pelican 100 Qt also a 35 qt for drinks. The Maluna line is a great chest they are sold direct and use a unique hinge. Better than most other super chest. IMO
I remote camp for 2 weeks in Baja often. I take what is needed for the trip, sometimes I load one with block ice and dry ice to feed the food and drink cooler. I usually keep the block ice in a dry bag for the food chest, it keeps food cold with out the water soaking everything. I can put ice in your drink for 14 days.
If i were to be on the road for more than 2 weeks I would have a electric fridge.