Kayaks - Inflatable, Rigid, Folding. . . whaddya have and how do ya like it?

• HTML tutorial

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have had my eyes set on REI's 14ft Sit on Top and Cabelas 12T Ascend Kayaks. Since I want to bring one of my pups along the inflatable option is out the door.
Look at Wilderness Designs, they make some good yaks, I am not a Hobie fan, but I know plenty that love the foot drive system. Sometimes you can pick up seconds or close outs much cheaper.

TacoRocco

Rank I

Contributor III

Greater Toronto Area, ON, Canada
First Name
M
Last Name
B
I just ordered a Lisichanka L-280 from the Ukraine via eBay and a 30 lbs thrust transom mounted trolling motor from my local rod and tackle shop.

Coming in soon. I'll post pics and a review when I get it.

Here's a video of it:
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Road

NWOFlatlander

Rank II

Enthusiast I

New Bavaria, OH
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Payne
Member #

I know other people have mentioned it, but the Intek 2 person kayaks are great, for playing around. It is very tiring paddling distance, but it is fun to be able to get out on the water while traveling. We have our camper parked on a river about 4 miles from lake erie and the kids used both the inflatable kayaks all summer long. We also have a SUP which is better, but a pain to transport. The intek kayaks have held up well, but we plan on buying regular kayaks to keep at our camper and travel with the inflatables.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey @TahoePPV - that smart looking watercraft you built and posted earlier in this thread; was it from a set of plans, and modifiable at all, or is it from your own design?

I'm toying with the idea of building something from scratch that is a bit more ocean-worthy than my Hornbeck Nomad, which is more of a flat-water craft. Though I've thought of making a water-repellent spray skirt and cowl for it that snugs up around me like a solo kayak skirt would.

Anything you'd do different if building another?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hey @TahoePPV - that smart looking watercraft you built and posted earlier in this thread; was it from a set of plans, and modifiable at all, or is it from your own design?

I'm toying with the idea of building something from scratch that is a bit more ocean-worthy than my Hornbeck Nomad, which is more of a flat-water craft. Though I've thought of making a water-repellent spray skirt and cowl for it that snugs up around me like a solo kayak skirt would.

Anything you'd do different if building another?
It’s a Mill Creek 16.5 from Chesapeake Light Craft. I built it from plans. In the end I didn’t save any money doing that because you can’t buy the exact quantity of materials. It did let me purchase over the duration of construction.

as far a different, I built it with the ability to move one seat into the center for solo paddling. I’d put a rudder on it, because turning into the wind as a bit tough, based On what I experienced with my teen daughter. I put the necessary strengthening in to retrofit a rudder easily, and may still add one.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It’s a Mill Creek 16.5 from Chesapeake Light Craft. I built it from plans. In the end I didn’t save any money doing that because you can’t buy the exact quantity of materials. It did let me purchase over the duration of construction.

as far a different, I built it with the ability to move one seat into the center for solo paddling. I’d put a rudder on it, because turning into the wind as a bit tough, based On what I experienced with my teen daughter. I put the necessary strengthening in to retrofit a rudder easily, and may still add one.
Awesome, thanks man! It's a couple projects away, as I'm designing and hoping to be able to build and install a pop-top on my van, doing all the ply & fillet work and sewing the tent sides myself. Fun challenge and puts to good use the sewing skills I've taught myself over the last year.

Being on one coast or another so often from here in Maine to the Gulf in Texas, I'd love to have the option at times of getting out in something more seaworthy than my Hornbeck.

Thanks for the info; much appreciated.