Kansas Members??

• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

If your researching legal right of ways you could use the ORKA site: https://www.kansasgis.org/orka/

Not every county is on there. Just depends on how upidy they are about their data (JOCO).

I have found that you get what you pay for with DASC. Also, TIGER road lines are worthless. If you have access to geospatial software, you could use the LIDAR data from DASC though to see elevation contours.

If anyone is in the market for some paper maps, I could potentially create some pretty detailed stuff.
We definitely had fun with the State/County/City when it came to "researching legal right of ways" with our property. We ended up with four - 4 - separate street addresses, we let the 911 people pick our address. We also were able to prove - to our City's chagrin - that there are no utility easements on our property and where the street runs next to us there is ONLY an easement that is 10" on one end and 18" on the other.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

If they have the county listed, you can usually go into the county courthouse and buy one.
It is similar to the type of county maps shown in the link ( https://www.farmandhomepublishers.com/ ) you provided. They were plat maps, but a lot more detailed, at least more detailed than the plate map I have for our property. I know they republished the books each year.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Yes. You in Sumner?
Yes, I'm in Sumner.

I actually have the plat maps for our county, township, section and so on that goes all the way back to the early 1870s. Was able to get copies of all the fire insurance maps that were available for our area as well. The fire maps are actually quite interesting, especially if you're into history.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I ask because that's one of our counties.
Ah...

One of the issues that cropped up for us is our driveway. The house/property sat vacant for about three years after the owner died. Some people started using the driveway as an access road to get to an area behind our property. When we purchased the property we cut the access, some were not happy about it, including the city. People didn't realize the driveway wasn't a "dirt road" that ran along the side of our place, it actually went through the property. Members of the community, nor the City, realized that the actual property perimeter continued over into the section of land on the other side of the driveway.

However, we did find out that our driveway is the last known section of the original wagon road that connected Wellington to Wichita back in the 1860s through 1870s that has not been paved.

Berserker

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey guys. I'm new to OB. Konza Overland member as well. Over the summer I'm doing a Kansas Grasslands tour. So far I my destinations are Tallgrass Prairie, Cimmaron National Grassland, Konza prairie, and the Flint Hills. Any I should add?

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
If you have your passport, you could tour the Tallgrass prairie preserve just north of Pawhuska Oklahoma on the Osage Indian reservation. Bring the wife and you could take her to the pioneer woman store in Pawhuska.

Reactions: RainGoat

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
Maybe we could meet up and plan a fall trip. I've never really been excited about one of those 20+ rig caravans though. In an open top Jeep down gravel roads with 80+ tires kicking up dust. . ..

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I would love to get away. However, we're adopting and having our own baby in the next 3 months. If we could do a local meetup and maybe head up to Olsberg, I'd be game.
Dude. Congratulations! My wife and I are hopeful adoptive parents. I completely understand.

I was hoping we could all share ideas in what an OB meet might be or look like in Kansas. Is it a run through the hills? A gathering at Tuttle? Meeting at a local restaurant for food/drinks? Maybe a camp outting at a quiet state lake? I am game for anything. Let's make the OB Kansas meet something uniquely OB.