Texas, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Johnston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5HWB
My name is Jason and I am a Ham Radio Operator, callsign KC5HWB. I also run a YouTube channel called Ham Radio 2.0, and I have been wanting to do some video about how to get into Overlanding, take some trips, etc. Glad I found this website and forum and I am looking forward to learning more about the subject.

I drive a 2004 F-250 4X4
My YouTube Channel

Attachments

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome from Georgetown. There's lots of operators on here to talk with. If you are in the area, we have a monthly meet on the 1st Sat of every month in Round Rock.

kc5hwb

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Johnston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5HWB
Welcome from Georgetown. There's lots of operators on here to talk with. If you are in the area, we have a monthly meet on the 1st Sat of every month in Round Rock.
Thanks for that info. I am up in the NTX area, so about 3 hours from Round Rock. But I do get down there sometimes so I will make a note of the meetup, in case I am around on one of those Saturdays.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Jason (@kc5hwb ), welcome from Oklahoma. I've been watching your channel for years.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning.

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps, If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

We have a good communication section and your contribution would be welcome.
We also have a weekly Friday night net, hopefully you can check in.

When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 00:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 446.525 DPL 023 Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

Reactions: Boort and kc5hwb

kc5hwb

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Johnston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5HWB
Hello Jason (@kc5hwb ), welcome from Oklahoma. I've been watching your channel for years.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning.

If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.
Thanks for the info! And thanks for watching also.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My name is Jason and I am a Ham Radio Operator, callsign KC5HWB. I also run a YouTube channel called Ham Radio 2.0, and I have been wanting to do some video about how to get into Overlanding, take some trips, etc. Glad I found this website and forum and I am looking forward to learning more about the subject.

I drive a 2004 F-250 4X4
My YouTube Channel
Hey Jason, Overland Ham Here... welcome to Overland Bound. As you know, I love your Chanel. Great to have you on board. You might check out the coms sub forums. Great stuff going on in there.

Reactions: Boort and kc5hwb

kc5hwb

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Johnston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5HWB
Hey Jason, Overland Ham Here... welcome to Overland Bound. As you know, I love your Chanel. Great to have you on board. You might check out the coms sub forums. Great stuff going on in there.
Great seeing you here also, thanks for the reply

Reactions: M Rose

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

I drive a 2004 F-250 4X4
My YouTube Channel
Welcome to Overland Bound Jason
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: kc5hwb and M Rose

kc5hwb

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Johnston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5HWB

I requested to join the Southwest FB Group the other day, still pending my approval.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I drive a 2004 F-250 4X4
My YouTube Channel
Welcome Jason,
I got my tech. ticket with help from your Youtube channel, Folks here and HamStudy!. Thanks for all of the time and effort you put in to helping others learn about HAM!

Boort

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Good to see you on here, Jason. Some good folks here to meet up with when you are traveling. Hope to catch up in Huntsville and have a frosty beverage or three.

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Welcome to the site!! There is a ton of info, and opinions here. You'll definitely find what you're looking for. 73! KF0APA

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB

I drive a 2004 F-250 4X4
My YouTube Channel
Hello Jason, welcome to the OB community. I have seen your channel.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I was introduced to your YT Channel via @M Rose. Excellent content and presentation style.

Would it be possible for you to do a YT video based on field testing radios during an overland trip? Similar to the video below? I would like to get your suggestions on a few radios suitable for overlanding via a convoy for maintaining comms.

Thank you,
Joe
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community Joe. Glad to have you join us we can always use more comms people. de KG4BCN

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I've watched your channel for a while now and am a new ham operator. Welcome to overland bound. Still can't decide which model mobile to get even after watching yours and others videos! :)

Reactions: TSO_NJ