Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I didn't plan on doing a build thread for my WJ so there isn't much for pictures of work done so far. Now that I've joined OB I thought I might as well, hopefully I will get some good insight and tips from other members that might be helpful along the way and at the same time if there is anything I post of interest to you all feel free to ask questions. I started with a mostly stock 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7L V8 Quadra-trac II, 2" budget bump spacer lift and a bad transfer case (didn't know that at the time of purchase). It seemed to run good and strong with leather interior that was clean and a straight body so at $2k i think i got a decent deal on it. My goals for this build is to make a capable trail rig that can take on any trail i feel ballsy enough to try but also be reliable enough to take on multi day trips and maybe some of the back country discovery routes around the PNW. I've had the Jeep for about two years now and most of that time I have been doing basic maintenance and stocking up on parts to start the build. Being that I farm, winter is about the only time I get to tackle projects on it that and having a house that we are currently remodeling will be my excuse for why the build moves slow ( I was told I have to split my time 50/50 between the house and Jeep)... The build my not end up as what some consider a true overlander and lean more towards a trail rig but I do want to make it as self contained as possible for multi day camping/trail runs. So here she is in all her stock glory!

20180408_131741.jpg

And here is how it sits today.

20190626_185303 - Copy.jpg

I'll give a quick run through of things I've done so far, again if there is anything you want more info on feel free to ask.

-Basic maintenance- Oil and filter change, air filter, Coils and plugs, serp. belt, fluid in both diffs and attempted fluid change in the T case... we'll get to that one.
-3" IRO lift consisting of their 3" coil springs, adjustable track bar, extended sway bar links and Pro Comp ES9000 shocks. When I did the lift I replaced all of the coil spring isolators, rear A arm ball joint, rear A arm, installed a new HD steering stabilizer and some other bushings. I had already purchased the tires and wheels so I ordered up this lift and with a week and a half before a planned memorial day trip thought i had plenty of time to get it installed and finish my fluid changes. Well that ended up being a week and a half thrash session of late nights after work that involved installing the lift, new drivelines and a 247 to 242 T case swap... we'll get to that.
- Tires are Maxxis Razr M/T 265/70R17 on Pro Comp wheels that are 17"x 8.5" with 4.5" backspacing
-With the lift i had to trim the bumper and the fender to clear, need to do a little more trimming.
20190522_204946.jpg
Bumper trim
20191214_110704 - Copy.jpg
Slight trim to the back of the fender

-T case Swap!! I told you we'd get to it... 247 to 242HD Now I had already planned to do this so I had all the parts rounded up, I just didn't plan on doing it when I did. While installing the lift I went to change the fluid in the T case and it came out looking like rubbing compound and smelled like a turd covered in burnt hair... The coupler was shot, probably why it didn't want to lock in 4 Low and maybe why I got the rig for cheap. So now my nice easy 10 days to have it ready for memorial day turned into a bigger project. In reality the swap is pretty easy and straight forward I just was thrown a curve ball and had to get it done in short order or not take the WJ. I won't go into too much detail on the swap since there is a ton of write ups out there on the inter webs that are better than what i could do, but i will say if someone sells you a 242HD out of an XJ or a I6 WJ it's NOT an HD. Those only came in the V8 WJ, Durango, Dakota, 1500 rams and i heard there was a version in the H1. I sourced mine from the local pull-n-save wrecking yard ($150!) out of a '98 Durango (if you're doing this you want a '98- '99 some time in '00 they took away the 2wd option). Using the case out of a Durango and not a WJ i had to swap the input shaft from my junk 247 into the 242, while i was there I rebuilt it with new bearings and seals. While at the wrecking yard I had grabbed the rear drive shaft from the durango, a front double cardan driveshaft and U joint pinion yoke from a newer WJ. I had a couple of inches taken out of the durango rear shaft and then used a 1310/1330 u-joint to bolt up to the rear end. Mine came stock with the Rzeppa front driveline so I put the wrecking yard pinion yoke on the front diff with a new seal, threw some new u-joints in the double cardane front shaft and it bolted right in. Throw some fresh fluid in it and swap was complete. Sorry no pics of what it did on this.
-Rolla roof basket with extension on half busted factory crossbars. Plan to pull the crossbars and rails off to build my own mounts that are a little more stout.
-New Kenwood head unit that is Bluetooth capable, 20 year stock deck wasn't gonna cut it. New tweeters in the dash, old ones were blown, might upgrade the rest but not a priority.
-New rear wiper motor, old one filled the cab with the wonderful aroma of burning electrical when I tried to use it.

So that's it up to the point of deciding to start my thread. Done a little more work and have a lot more planned for this winter and going forward after that.
This winters project list I have parts for.
-Brakes (done)
-Cooling system upgrade. Aluminum rad., 9 blade fan, new clutch
-Lights remount what I have when I do the roof rack
-Dual Battery setup
-12v-120 system
-Rear seat quick release
-Switch panel mount
-CB install, might try to build something in the center console that incorporates CB mount and panel for rocker switches
-More boring maintenance to increase reliability (timing set, sensors, things like that)

Wish list for this winter $$$ and time allowing
-Storage boxes to go in place of rear seat bottoms when removed
-Platform in rear cargo area that I can slide totes under and pack on top of. I don't want a drawer setup because i want something i can easily take out since plan to use the tire well for mounting onboard air system and dual battery setup.
-Trailforged DIY front bumper
-Build my own rear bump with tire swingout.... just picked up a tubing bender now to convert it from manual to hyd.
-Rock sliders
-Rear lunchbox lock with new shafts and a truss
-Onboard air setup

Long term wish list (realistically everything on the winter wish list should be here)
-6.5" long arm lift and 35's
-ARB's front and rear
-Axle beef- chromo shafts, gusseting, truss, tubes, u-joints at the front knuckles.... I know, I know, it's stupid to waste money building a D30 but i'm going to
-Bed line the exterior

Here is a few pictures of it now on a trip this past summer in NE Oregon.
20190810_122307.jpg20190810_133326.jpg20190810_081451.jpg20190810_124913 - Copy.jpg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Pulled a pile of parts of the shelf to get on the WJ. Brakes and front hub/wheel bearings.20191208_134019 (2).jpg

Being that i'm running oversized tires and plan to go bigger at some point I figured a brake upgrade wasn't a bad idea. I went with a waved rotor, ceramic pads and performance calipers then flushed and refilled the system with DOT 3/4 Syn. fluid. Since i was already there and had things apart i changed the front hubs which was a good idea cuz one was starting to feel a little dry and rough.

Before-
20191208_131158.jpg
20191208_131209.jpg

After-

20191214_110644.jpg
20191208_180536.jpg

Ya, I'll admit I'm a big dork and painted my calipers like some tuner street racer but I needed a little color to brake up all the Silver and black on the WJ. As you can see in the pictures of the front i have a little rubbing on my control arm at full lock, I think I'm gonna pick up a set of 1" or 1.25" spacers to fix it. Hopefully that won't cause any clearance issues with the bumper or fenders but if so I guess she goes under the knife again...

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Welp, got another pile of parts for the Grand! Still waiting for one more bright shiny aluminum piece to show up but don't really need that until we start going back together. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow morning before I have to start cooking xmas dinner I can get things torn apart. This go around will include timing chain kit, power steering pump w/lines and pulley and cooling system upgrades.
20191223_162552.jpg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Nice Rig! Looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you! Right now I'm trying to work through all the maintenance and some of the known WJ problems. It has 170k on the clock and I really don't know the mechanical history on it that combined with having put only around 1500 miles on it while I've owned it I'm doing all I can to make it a reliable rig. Some things I do and replace might seem excessive but I'd rather address it now while it's sitting in the garage and not on the trail 50-100 miles from a parts store. Once the big maintenance is done I'll move to add on's and accessories/ trail beef. Once I think I have it where I want mechanically and kitted I'd like to move up to a long arm 6.5" lift and 35's. It's really more lift than I want but on the grands it's about where you need to be to run a 35 and to obtain ground clearance under the axles 35's is where I want to end up.
Btw, really like your Grand! I was torn between one of those and the WJ but decided I wanted a solid axle. I still think it would be fun to take one of those or an XK and get real silly with a LS swap, tons and 37's

Last edited:

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Well between forgetting tools at the shop, having 3 xmas' to go to and being out of town over the weekend I didn't get near as far as I wanted. But it's now mostly tore down. With the next 2 days off hopefully I can get the timing set done and get it slapped together with all the new stuff. Been thinking about going with the 180 degree t stat... any input from the wj owners out there? Never ran one myself and just curious if anyone has experience with them in a WJ. If all goes well I'll have it together for the OB meet up in Kennewick this weekend, but that depends on the new years eve festivities tomorrow night...might be moving a little slow come Wednesday

20191230_175859.jpg 20191230_184205.jpg

Reactions: SkunkedGorilla

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

So I kind of forgot I had started a build thread for this. But that isn't too important since it's not fully back together yet, working on my house is taking up a lot of my time and winter/spring was busier at work than I had expected. So since my last update.....3 months ago, I have gotten all of the sensors on the motor changed, changed the timing set, harmonic balancer, installed a new PS pump and lines, new A/C lines, new heater hoses, motor mounts, fresh gaskets and seals for everything that was apart and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Also part of this work session on the WJ was supposed to be some cooling system upgrades, replaced the mechanical fan clutch and switched to an 11 blade fan for more air movement also replaced the radiator with an all aluminium 2 core. There has been a couple of hold ups on this part of the project, first one was the radiator showed up bent and it took a couple of weeks to get a new one. Next one is now that I'm going back together there is a little clearance issue with the bigger fan to the shroud. To fix the clearance problem I took a heat gun to the shroud and pushed it out, as it sits now it clears but I need to go some more to make room for motor mount flex. TBH i looks like hell but it worked, I'm thinking once i know i can make it work and clear I'll go grab another one from the wrecking yard try doing a cleaner job. So now time for some pictures!

This is what the first radiator I ordered arrived looking like. That is the post that is supposed to go through the bushing and into the lower mount. Also it had a bunch of fins bent over.
20200101_145949.jpg

New Radiator with electric fan and shroud mount to it.
20200126_135503.jpg 20200126_135517.jpg

Here is the difference between the stock fan and the new one I installed

20200126_152219.jpg

New timing set all installed
20200205_165127.jpg

Old vs. New motor mounts
20200225_161502.jpg

And here is one of it mostly put back together, hopefully i can get my clearance issue worked out by this weekend so I can get everything put back together and get it out of the garage. I really need to get it out to my shop so I can get some fab work done.

20200305_192335.jpg

And that is where we sit at the moment, I know not very much done for 4 months of it being in the garage... I have a few other new parts that will go on as i button up this part of the winter project like a new starter, and an air raid intake tube. The tube i ordered will still use the factory air box but replaces the stock tube and muffler system, looks like a cold air intake but with the factory air box on the end.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

And this is what has kicked my butt back in gear to get this back on the road....
20200402_091822.jpg

Trail Forged Stubby front bumper and high clearance rad. support! I didn't order any wings with it because I plan to build my own out of tube. Once the WJ is at the shop I'll start my fab projects which include this, remount the roof rack and at some point a rear bumper. I will also be doing some fender trimming and probably spray some bed liner on the lower portion of the body.

This is possibly how the front fenders will be trimmed. It is probably excessive for my current tires but I plan to go with a bigger lift and tires down the road and I'd rather only do it once. Plus if I'm building wings for the bumper I can build them to match where I trim to.
20200312_180631.jpg

Well that's it for now, hopefully I'll get back in here in less than 3 months with another update.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Welp, got another pile of parts for the Grand! Still waiting for one more bright shiny aluminum piece to show up but don't really need that until we start going back together. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow morning before I have to start cooking xmas dinner I can get things torn apart. This go around will include timing chain kit, power steering pump w/lines and pulley and cooling system upgrades.
View attachment 132133
It adds up quick, doesn't it?
View attachment 132133
Adds up quick doesn't it? I went timing chain tensioners outward. I elected for the Derale 6 blade18" and factory spec clutch rather than the 11 blade fan and extreme duty Ford clutch ( I have one in Ford setup in reserve in case I need it). Come summer it wil be interesting to see what proves to work. We are all in this together..... so looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

fan on engine.jpg

Last edited:

Saar

Rank 0

Contributor I

IL
First Name
Saar
Last Name
Avrahamov
Nice WJ.
Pay attention to the accessories belt tensioner, they tend to fail around 170-190k km (at least as I saw on few WJ in our group).

Last edited:

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Nice WJ.
Pay attention to the accessories belt tensioner, they tent to fail around 170-190k km (at least as I saw on few WJ in our group).
That was one part I forgot in the list of things i changed, mine wasn't terrible but the bearing was starting to feel rough and was already off so it got swapped out.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Awesome thread, a ton of great info here I plan to go back and reference. Rebuilding the 242HD I have for my '03 w/ the 247 and doing IRO's hack 'n tap SYE is next on my list... then I should have all the pieces in place for the axles/new lift/etc.

-TJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Awesome thread, a ton of great info here I plan to go back and reference. Rebuilding the 242HD I have for my '03 w/ the 247 and doing IRO's hack 'n tap SYE is next on my list... then I should have all the pieces in place for the axles/new lift/etc.

-TJ
Hack and tap SYE will happen once I go with the bigger lift. With only going 3" I probably could have ran a stock shaft if I had one, but I scored the Durango rear for $20 I think and having it shortened was cheap, Just had to get the 1310/1330 U joint for the rear of the shaft. So far I've made out pretty good at my local Pull-N-save wrecking yard for this project, been keeping an eye out for an Overland to show up so i can snag the axles. If I found some I could run those with the veri-lok while I rebuilt mine, pretty sure they only charge $125 per axle.

Reactions: Graeman

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

20200408_175541.jpg
Radiator is bolted in and no rubbing!! I'm pretty excited for that because it's a slow process heating and forming the shroud, that and I didn't want to have to change my fan setup. It could use some more clearance, but now that I have a process and preferred tool for pushing on it I want to go grab another shroud at the wrecking yard since this one is so ugly. Maybe tomorrow if they are still open I'll swing by on my way home from work and grab one.
Here's a picture of what the ugly looks like.
20200408_175614.jpg

For any of you guys that have installed these Chinese all aluminum radiators, did you have any clearance issues in this corner? If so what was your solution? I really don't want the hood seal rubbing on that corner so I was thinking I would notch the grill support and reinforce it on the bottom side... any thoughts?
15863956966201572194568008151698.jpg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Well this weekend (if you can call it that when you work six days a week) was spent doing yard work so I didn't make any progress on the Grand, but i did make it by the wrecking yard to snag a new fan shroud. Plan to work on it this week in the evenings, I want to get the new shroud attached to the Rad. and start the slow process of heating and bending. Hope is this time around I can get it to look a little better than my first attempt. While i was there at the wrecking yard there was an Overland WJ, but someone had already grabbed the rear axle and the front was missing one of the knuckles. Not sure if it's worth the effort to swap just the front Vari-Lok.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Got a little work done last night but nothing exciting, changed the starter and crank sensor since I had them sitting on the shelf. After a chat with @JimBill I might go another route with my mechanical fan and clutch. He has some miles on his after his swap and is running at 195 with a 6 blade fan and factory fan clutch that didn't require him to modify the shroud. So I'm thinking I might give this setup a try, take it to the mountains a couple times and if I'm not happy with it then I already have all the parts to use the 11 blade, ford severe duty clutch and really ugly shroud... Time to order a couple more parts!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Progress! Kind of... still not all the way back together but closer!
20200422_181408.jpg

So I went ahead and ordered the Derale 18" fan and a stock fan clutch to install after my talk with @JimBill. It fit like a glove and no need to modify the fan shroud. I'll run this setup for a while and if all goes well it'll stay in, if it still runs warmer than I like I have the other setup I can put in. Hopefully this is the last time going back together with all of this, just need to hook up the trans cooler, add fluids and then I can fire it up.
This is what the different fan setups look like.
20200422_155643.jpg
While both fans are 18" you run into a clearance issue due to the depth of the 11 blade setup. It looks to be a combination of where the mounting surface is and the depth of the blades themselves. Here's a look at the difference in depth, not the best picture but you can kind of see how much taller the 11 blade is in the back.
20200422_155628.jpg
So that all for now, hopefully I'll get things buttoned up and have it running again in a few days!

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Progress! Kind of... still not all the way back together but closer!
View attachment 150841

So I went ahead and ordered the Derale 18" fan and a stock fan clutch to install after my talk with @JimBill. It fit like a glove and no need to modify the fan shroud. I'll run this setup for a while and if all goes well it'll stay in, if it still runs warmer than I like I have the other setup I can put in. Hopefully this is the last time going back together with all of this, just need to hook up the trans cooler, add fluids and then I can fire it up.
Looking good! The temps down here should reach the 80s this weekend, so I should finally be able to see how the Derale setup works in moderate temps. So far the electric fan has yet to kick on. I'll hit La Gloria grade Saturday and come up from the Salinas valley in 4 low, steep and slow, after an hour of heat soaking. That should be a decent test until we finally hit tripe digits. Any excuse to get out of the house....

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Got a lot done in the garage today, just not on the jeep unfortunately... I was getting tired of the mess I had going so I cleaned a lot. Also made room for a new work bench I got and hung a parts cabinet on the wall. I did get the trans cooler plumbed and the radiator hoses on, but then got sidetracked because I found parts I had forgot about while cleaning. I found a cb and everything to install it! I bought it some time ago and forgot about it. I would really like to get my ham license but I figured I can put this in for now since some comms is better than none. Once done with the install I'll post some pictures, but I should probably get it running before I go back to the cb project.