JKU Overland build - AEV 2.5" Lift - Over capacity - should I add OME HD springs?

• HTML tutorial

rkcreative

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

I used these:
Air Lift Bags

This was based off info from a guy off the AEV Forum, the width is perfect but they are a little tall, maybe a 1/2" extra. That said, I've had zero issues with them. I will suggest pulling your springs to install them, I tried to slip them in as the directions suggested and I can tell you that was a waste of a good hour.
Perfect! Thank you :) I may picking up an hard shell RTT over the weekend and giving these a try.

Reactions: dstock

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I have 2.5 TF coil suspension. Had sag under load so I put the OME coils on the rear. Took care of the issue. Ride is good.

rkcreative

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Just to update everyone. In the end I ended up going with Falcon 3.3 shocks ( I was able to find for sale new in opened box locally at 50% off retail) and paired the shocks with Teraflex outback spring set ( TeraFlex - JK 2-Door 3" Lift – JKU 4-Door 2.5” Lift: Outback Rear Coil Springs - Pair)

I recently took the jeep out to the Rendezvous in the Ozarks which is a 650 mile drive from Chicago. I just have to say that I simply couldn't be happier with the suspension set up. I added even more weight to the rig with the addition of a DYI drawer system in the rear and the jeep drove phenomenally both loaded up and empty. The rig just feels more planted and stable. I highly recommend the set up.

unnamed (8).jpgIMG_2528[1].JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Nice Jeep! My rig when I'm loaded also suffers from Sagging Ass Sydrome. I have been looking at the AEV 4.5" HC or HD springs. I was speaking to the guys from AEV at Expo East and they were telling me they have a HD or HC spring which is exactly for the overlander or heavy ass rigs. It's impossible no matter how light you pack by the time you add passengers, food to the fridge and fuel I'll bet almost 90% of JK's & JKU's are ass sagging. I'm trying to look into pulling the trigger on those springs sometime mid next month. Has anyone had any experience with these springs before?

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Rear air bags work for some people not very expensive. I just added a 1 inch puck in the rear and that brought me back level
Would you say the BAGS themselves are susceptible to breaking on the trail with something that would penetrate the bag as opposed to s a spring? I always kind of figured they would get more abuse off road and would maybe be more susceptible to breakage that on road type driving.

Reactions: Jeep backroads

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
Would you say the BAGS themselves are susceptible to breaking on the trail with something that would penetrate the bag as opposed to s a spring? I always kind of figured they would get more abuse off road and would maybe be more susceptible to breakage that on road type driving.
I think they are a little more prone to problems as as any modification. But it would not be trip ending just might cause a lean from front to back. Hope that helps.