JK Wrangler Owner Looking to Switch to 4Runner TRD Off-Road

• HTML tutorial

RenoF150

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, AL
Member #

Hey gang. I'm considering switching from a 2013 JK Wrangler 2dr to a 2017+ 4 Runner TRD Off-Road and I would love some feedback from people on who made a similar switch.

Background: I'm a long-time Jeep person having owned everything from an early '78 CJ, YJ, XJ, and I currently daily drive a moderately modified JK 2 door. I absolutely love my Jeep and the Jeep community - but I made the idiot mistake of jumping on an insane deal on a 2 door, when I really needed a 4 door for my kids, other passengers, and hauling stuff. Additionally, I'm moving my family from Alabama to Reno, NV this summer and I need a vehicle that is comfortable, can hold a ton of my gear (I'll likely have to make 2-3 trips solo), and won't absolutely kill me on gas mileage. Finally, I need something a little "nicer" because I'm taking on a new role managing a company and will have to visit with customers and partners / take them out to lunch / attend events, etc in my vehicle. My 2 door Wrangler, gutted, lifted and on 35's just doesn't cut it. I have considered moving to a new JL unlimited - but at $42,000 I'm looking at "cushier" options and the 4Runner just jumps out at me. Now, I'm a grown-ass adult and can make my own decisions, but I'm always interested in the opinions of like-minded people. So, for those that made the switch, why did you do it, and do you miss anything / have any regrets? Here is my short list of pros / cons of switching to a 4R.

Pros:
1. More comfortable / luxurious (better for passengers and long trips)
2. More storage space internally (hold more gear for my trips out there)
3. TRD Off-Road package appears to be very capable (it's not a Wrangler - I get it - but I'm not a rock crawler either)
4. I love the look
5. I have always wanted a 4Runner
6. Better towing capacity
7. Similar resale value to Wrangler

Cons:
1. It's not a Jeep (sad face)
2. I beat the snot out of my Jeep - I won't be as free with a purdy 4R
3. Much smaller aftermarket for parts
4. Can't take the doors and top off (I do love that)
5. Costs more, and will likely cost more over the life of the vehicle

What am I missing? Thanks for any and all feedback.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I have been a “Jeep guy, Porsche guy, VW guy, Chevy and Ford guy” heck I just like things I can tinker with. Do not fall into the fanboy Jeep Toyota etc. They are both great vehicles. The new JL and a new FR can be similar and so different. Both at 40k plus neither are cheap. It is all in how you want to build it. Since this is not your first or even second build you get smarter each time. They get much better each time. My thoughts are are you drive them pick the one that you like the best. An alternative...

I just bought a 2008 Land cruiser. I was in a similar situation but went with a $27k land cruiser so I can keep my Jeep. I had the two front seats re covered and it looks great and very professional. It has 149k miles and no rattles.

RenoF150

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, AL
Member #

I have been a “Jeep guy, Porsche guy, VW guy, Chevy and Ford guy” heck I just like things I can tinker with. Do not fall into the fanboy Jeep Toyota etc. They are both great vehicles. The new JL and a new FR can be similar and so different. Both at 40k plus neither are cheap. It is all in how you want to build it. Since this is not your first or even second build you get smarter each time. They get much better each time. My thoughts are are you drive them pick the one that you like the best. An alternative...

I just bought a 2008 Land cruiser. I was in a similar situation but went with a $27k land cruiser so I can keep my Jeep. I had the two front seats re covered and it looks great and very professional. It has 149k miles and no rattles.
Oh man I love the Land Cruisers! So spacious, and so well built. I also have a '65 VW bug (slammed and modified) otherwise I'd likely just keep the Jeep as a toy and drive a nice clean car. Dammit, now I'm looking at Land Cruisers... thanks for the comments though. I tend to follow that logic - I buy what I need at the time. Jeep fandom is tough to avoid though since so much if it helps mask the nonsense rattles, dash lights, squeaks, and leaks I experience on a barely used JK. If it wasn't for the wave bring me smiles, I would probably shed tears. HAHA.

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
... I need something a little "nicer" because I'm taking on a new role managing a company and will have to visit with customers and partners / take them out to lunch / attend events, etc in my vehicle...
This was the main reason I didn’t go with a Jeep. Well maybe not the main reason but a huge one for me. Work priorities sometimes come first and since having clients in the car is a thing for me, the 4Runner has more space and felt more comfortable. All of your other pros also aligned for me. I went 4Runner and while it’s only been a little more than a month, I love it and don’t regret it at all.

RenoF150

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, AL
Member #

This was the main reason I didn’t go with a Jeep. Well maybe not the main reason but a huge one for me. Work priorities sometimes come first and since having clients in the car is a thing for me, the 4Runner has more space and felt more comfortable. All of your other pros also aligned for me. I went 4Runner and while it’s only been a little more than a month, I love it and don’t regret it at all.

Awesome - thanks for the feedback.

RenoF150

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, AL
Member #

Why no grand cherokee?
It's nicer and capable enough for many things.
You probably get them cheap enough.
I think that's a very fair point. Honestly, I don't trust a lot of what Jeep has to offer and I question the build quality / reliability. My father owned one for a few years and it went through 2 transmissions in under 60K miles. My company owns a brand new diesel model. It's extremely nice. Maybe I'll go look at one of those as well. :)

Reactions: MazeVX

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I think that's a very fair point. Honestly, I don't trust a lot of what Jeep has to offer and I question the build quality / reliability. My father owned one for a few years and it went through 2 transmissions in under 60K miles. My company owns a brand new diesel model. It's extremely nice. Maybe I'll go look at one of those as well. :)
I hear you. My GC has 190k. The new Grand Cherokee is not as large as the FR but much nicer inside. If you want little bigger vehicle go FR. But the reliability thing in my experience has been great. The after market is also in favor of the FR

Reactions: MazeVX and RenoF150

RenoF150

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, AL
Member #

I hear you. My GC has 190k. The new Grand Cherokee is not as large as the FR but much nicer inside. If you want little bigger vehicle go FR. But the reliability thing in my experience has been great. The after market is also in favor of the FR
Good to hear. I’ll check out the GC for sure. Appreciate the feedback.

spartancrating1

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

US
Member #

Coming from someone who lives in Reno you are going to absolutely regret not having a Jeep here. The 4runner is a great ride but if I had to pit the TRD 4runner against a new JL or 4 door JKU I'd go Jeep especially for this area. The new JL is so cush it almost doesnt feel like a Jeep so it might be a good option. You dont crawl so a Rubicon isnt really necessary especially with the price tag. We have great weather here to go topless and tons of trails, BLM land, and National forest nearby to explore. Just my thoughts but in the end you cant go wrong either way.

Reactions: MazeVX

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Working on Jeep Wranglers and owning a 4Runner, the only thing I can say is you can beat the hell out of a 4runner and you should be fine. As far as the aftermarket goes, nothing will ever compare to a jeep aftermarket. its insane. that being said there still is a fair amount of 4Runner parts. sometimes you just have to be a little more "Creative"

RenoF150

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, AL
Member #

TLDR : I ended up buying a 2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4x4 Sport with the new 5.0 Coyote V8

I figured I would update those of you that contributed to this post. First off, thanks to everyone for your suggestions, but judging by my new username and profile image, things did not go as I had planned. So, I finally rode in / drove a 4Runner and thought it was an awesome vehicle and was just about sold when I told myself that I at least owed it to Jeep to give the new Wrangler a shot. I test drove a new Wrangler JLU (4 door version for the layman) and honestly I was a little disappointed. All of the features and options were fantastic. The material quality was 10x better than my basic 2013 Sport. The body style was on point, and I overall loved the vehicle. But driving it... driving it is what made me sad. On the test drive, I forgot I was in a Jeep. I honestly could not tell the difference between that, and my friend's Renegade (small FIAT owned SUV). To me, a Jeep should feel a little "trucky". Also, all of the added sound deadening and windshield angle, and reduced roll cage size made the interior feel more cramped - in an already cramped vehicle. The sales guy saw that I was not overly happy, and I explained that I really wanted more room. So, he naturally said - "let's give the new RAM 1500 a shot". So, instantly, getting into that rig and driving it for 30 min made me realize that what I have been wanting all along was a full-sized truck. It checked all of the boxes I had for requirements and it put a smile on my face.

So, how did I end up with the F150? Well, my buddy had just bought a car for his wife at the local Ford dealer, and he told me they were running insane deals on 2018 leftovers. So, I went there the other day. Found a truck with enough room / 4x4 / rear locker / etc and pulled the trigger. Honestly, it was a deal even my wife said to jump on. Basically I was able to score a demo truck with ~ 2000 miles on it for $16,000 under sticker price with a 7 yr / 75,000 warranty and a free Line-X spray in bedliner that they have to have done this Friday. The interior of this thing is cavernous. The materials are "good enough". The technology package is phenominal. The new 395 hp 5.0 V8 mated with the 10 speed trans is lightning fast. And the ability to haul a ton of shit in the back is an added bonus. In fact, my wife is already picking out shit on FB classifieds for me to go get.

Everything being said and done, I'm happy with my purchase. I have a lot to learn about full sized trucks like this (*cough* parking *cough*) but the build up of the truck for my trips out west will be fun. Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

I've owned 3 FR I absolutely enjoyed all of them no complaints. But you ended up with a great deal can't argue that good luck with your new pick-up Happy Trails Buddy!

Reactions: RenoF150

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
Nice! Congrats! Sometimes it’s the things like that which help it all fall into place. Have fun with the new rig.