Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Builds

• HTML tutorial
I currently have a Barricade Rear bumper, Rugged Ridge Front Bumper, Gobi Stealth Rack on order. I am looking to do the Teraflex S/T3 Suspension Lift with Fox Shocks and 35" wheel tire combo. Suggestions for any parts are welcomed!

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Welcome to the group Jacob. We run a stock 2011 2dr. Rubicon. We have changed out the front and rear bumper added a winch and a rugged ridge roof rack. We have had this set up for two years now and haven't had any problems. The next upgrades will be better protection for the undercarriage and diffs. Extended range fuel tank and 33 inch BFG all terrains. For us our setup works. Its up to you to decide what your set up will be based on your needs. Good luck with your jeep and don't hesitate to message us with any questions.

Jason and Will

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

I agree with Rubicajon, skid plates and differential covers to protect your underside. Depending on your gear ratio, you may want to re-gear once you go to 35s. I re-geared to 4.88 with 37s. Mine is not a daily driver, if it was I probably wouldn't have went to 37s.

Reactions: Rubicajon
Welcome to the group Jacob. We run a stock 2011 2dr. Rubicon. We have changed out the front and rear bumper added a winch and a rugged ridge roof rack. We have had this set up for two years now and haven't had any problems. The next upgrades will be better protection for the undercarriage and diffs. Extended range fuel tank and 33 inch BFG all terrains. For us our setup works. Its up to you to decide what your set up will be based on your needs. Good luck with your jeep and don't hesitate to message us with any questions.

Jason and Will
Thank you for the input. I will definitely find some undercarriage protection.

Reactions: Rubicajon
I agree with Rubicajon, skid plates and differential covers to protect your underside. Depending on your gear ratio, you may want to re-gear once you go to 35s. I re-geared to 4.88 with 37s. Mine is not a daily driver, if it was I probably wouldn't have went to 37s.
Thanks for the information. I want to stick with 35s. I currently have a 3.21 gear ratio so I will have to re-gear. I was thinking about 4.56 to go with the 35s.

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
Working out the drive train on my JKU Sport right now. Trying to get to dual 44's with E-lockers.....

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I have a 2012 (3.6L) JKU Sport with a 3" Puck Lift, 19/63 springs, Rancho RS5000X Shocks, 3.21 gears and Auto. I am not locked, nor plan to be for some time, and regearing. I am happy with my gearing as I do a lot of highway mileage for DD. I have been on many rock crawling trails, country roads, overland routes, Death Valley and also tow a 3500LB Tent Trailer to the mountains and beach several times a year. I have been very happy with my rig and although I do not attempt EXTREME trails, obstacles or routes, I am happy being able to successfully complete Moderate to difficult routes with few challenges.

I also run:
-Warn Rock Crawler front bumper, stubbied down on the ends by about 6" on both sides for approach angle.
-Smittiybilt XRC 9k Winch
-ORFab Rear Tire Carrier (unfortunately ORFab went out of business, but the tire carrier is one of the best-carriers one or two 5gal tanks or 1 tank an Ammo can as my setup. It also fits my 35" spare and I have mounted a Mikeybilt (homemade) Trail Rack to the carrier as well.
-RockHard Patriot Sliders/Steps. These have saved the sides of my Jeep countless times and although body mounted, they can withstand the weight of the Jeep and pivoting on them around an obstacle.
-Roof Mounted/Gutter mounted roof rack
-Other bells and whistles.

The JKU are very capable rigs! Go out and explore, see what works for you and what you need for your type of offroading.
@ArmyofMike IG

I have a 2012 (3.6L) JKU Sport with a 3" Puck Lift, 19/63 springs, Rancho RS5000X Shocks, 3.21 gears and Auto. I am not locked, nor plan to be for some time, and regearing. I am happy with my gearing as I do a lot of highway mileage for DD. I have been on many rock crawling trails, country roads, overland routes, Death Valley and also tow a 3500LB Tent Trailer to the mountains and beach several times a year. I have been very happy with my rig and although I do not attempt EXTREME trails, obstacles or routes, I am happy being able to successfully complete Moderate to difficult routes with few challenges.

I also run:
-Warn Rock Crawler front bumper, stubbied down on the ends by about 6" on both sides for approach angle.
-Smittiybilt XRC 9k Winch
-ORFab Rear Tire Carrier (unfortunately ORFab went out of business, but the tire carrier is one of the best-carriers one or two 5gal tanks or 1 tank an Ammo can as my setup. It also fits my 35" spare and I have mounted a Mikeybilt (homemade) Trail Rack to the carrier as well.
-RockHard Patriot Sliders/Steps. These have saved the sides of my Jeep countless times and although body mounted, they can withstand the weight of the Jeep and pivoting on them around an obstacle.
-Roof Mounted/Gutter mounted roof rack
-Other bells and whistles.

The JKU are very capable rigs! Go out and explore, see what works for you and what you need for your type of offroading.
@ArmyofMike IG
What size tires are you running?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
My build is extensive, and is always a work in progress. This is my daily driver. I have done most of the work, but not everything myself.

JK Unlimited Sport
Year: 2013
Color: Commando Green
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: currently 3.6, but scheduled for a 5.7L V8 VVT Hemi 390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque transplant next month.

Suspension:
AEV DualSport XT Suspension 2.5"
AEV Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets
ARB Heavy load coils F/R
King off Road 2.5" diameter shocks with external reservoirs
King Off Road Hydraulic Bump Stops front and rear
(add 3/4” spacer on Passenger F/R to make up for JKU lean)

Wheels & Tires:
Hutchinson Rock Monster Wheel (Beadlock) with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT315-70R17

or

AEV Salta wheels with Duratrac LT285-70R17 for Overlanding.

Bumpers:
AEV Tubeless Front Bumper
AEV Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier with 5-Gallon water tank, 10-Gallon Fuel Caddy, and Pull-Pal Winch Anchor / Hi-Lift mount.

Armor:
Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails with Tubular Rub Rail
River Raider skids in Aluminum with UHMW Skins
River Raider Air Tank and evap Skid System Aluminum with HHMW.

Drivetrain:
4.56 gears (Cryogenic Treated: Improvement in durability is around 100 percent. The typical increase in strength is 30-50 percent) see link for information; http://www.gearsolutions.com/article/detail/5937/cryogenic-treatment--of-gears

Front:
Dynatrac Pro Rock 44
RCV 30 Spline Axles

Rear:
Dynatrac XD60
35 spline Axles

Front and Rear Detroit TruTrac Limited Slip Differential (Works great with BLD on JK).
Front and Rear Tom Woods 1350 Drive Shaft
Dynatrac ProGrip Brakes

Winch:
Superwinch with Synthetic line (TS9500SR)

Lights:
Truck-Lite Heated LED Headlights
Truck-Lite 81 Series 4" Auxiliary Spot Lamps
Rigid LED RDS-10 Capture with GrPro
Rigid 50" LED Light Bar - White Driving/Hyperspot Combo
Truck-Light work light
J.W.Speaker LED Fog Lights
J.W.Speaker LED Tail Lights

Sound System:
Alpine X109-WRA
Front camera mounted for visibility to approach angle and wheel placement.
Rear backup camera

Accessories:
Genesis Duel battery system.
Under hood Viair constant duty compressor
sPod
Multiple options for Soft top, cargo carrying setup,
Tools and recovery gear. dependent on where I'm taking my jeep, and what I'm doing with it.
AEV Roof Rack (Rhino Rack Pioneer based)

Not a budget build, but I intend to use it to pull an Expedition trailer around N America for a few years. It's overbuilt for most use cases.

Last edited:

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
How do you like your Gobi Stealth Rack? I have mine on order I'm a month and a half in to the 3 month + wait right now.
Waited on that list 8months man...still I have to say it is worth it. The rack is extremely good quality and does everything I could possibly ask of it. Plus I love that it was made in the good old USA.

My build is extensive, and is always a work in progress. This is my daily driver. I have done most of the work, but not everything myself.

JK Unlimited Sport
Year: 2013
Color: Commando Green
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: currently 3.6, but scheduled for a 5.7L V8 VVT Hemi 390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque transplant next month.

Suspension:
AEV DualSport XT Suspension 2.5"
AEV Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets
ARB Heavy load coils F/R
King off Road 2.5" diameter shocks with external reservoirs
King Off Road Hydraulic Bump Stops front and rear
(add 3/4” spacer on Passenger F/R to make up for JKU lean)

Wheels & Tires:
Hutchinson Rock Monster Wheel (Beadlock) with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT315-70R17

or

AEV Salta wheels with Duratrac LT285-70R17 for Overlanding.

Bumpers:
AEV Tubeless Front Bumper
AEV Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier with 5-Gallon water tank, 10-Gallon Fuel Caddy, and Pull-Pal Winch Anchor / Hi-Lift mount.

Armor:
Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails with Tubular Rub Rail
River Raider skids in Aluminum with UHMW Skins
River Raider Air Tank and evap Skid System Aluminum with HHMW.

Drivetrain:
4.56 gears (Cryogenic Treated: Improvement in durability is around 100 percent. The typical increase in strength is 30-50 percent) see link for information; http://www.gearsolutions.com/article/detail/5937/cryogenic-treatment--of-gears

Front:
Dynatrac Pro Rock 44
RCV 30 Spline Axles

Rear:
Dynatrac XD60
35 spline Axles

Front and Rear Detroit TruTrac Limited Slip Differential (Works great with BLD on JK).
Front and Rear Tom Woods 1350 Drive Shaft
Dynatrac ProGrip Brakes

Winch:
Superwinch with Synthetic line (TS9500SR)

Lights:
Truck-Lite Heated LED Headlights
Truck-Lite 81 Series 4" Auxiliary Spot Lamps
Rigid LED RDS-10 Capture with GrPro
Rigid 50" LED Light Bar - White Driving/Hyperspot Combo
Truck-Light work light
J.W.Speaker LED Fog Lights
J.W.Speaker LED Tail Lights

Sound System:
Alpine X109-WRA
Front camera mounted for visibility to approach angle and wheel placement.
Rear backup camera

Accessories:
Genesis Duel battery system.
Under hood Viair constant duty compressor
sPod
Multiple options for Soft top, cargo carrying setup,
Tools and recovery gear. dependent on where I'm taking my jeep, and what I'm doing with it.
AEV Roof Rack (Rhino Rack Pioneer based)

Not a budget build, but I intend to use it to pull an Expedition trailer around N America for a few years. It's overbuilt for most use cases.

Wow, Thats an impressive build. How do you like your sPod and your Alpine X109? Also with your Truck-Lite Heated LED headlights do you have any flickering issues?

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

That gives me some hope. I was figuring I would have to re-gear from 3.21 to 4.56. But that saves some money if I don't. I guess before I re-gear ill try the setup first.
I'm still running factory 3.73's in my 2012 Sport and it's totally fine around here but once I get above about 5k feet I can really start to feel the lack of gear. I will probably be re-gearing before our annual Colorado trip next year. I had to pretty much stay in 4lo up there where we play (9k - 13k feet). But definitely worth trying the 35's out without changing gears. If you can tolerate it you can put that $1,200+ to use elsewhere on the rig!

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I currently have a Barricade Rear bumper, Rugged Ridge Front Bumper, Gobi Stealth Rack on order. I am looking to do the Teraflex S/T3 Suspension Lift with Fox Shocks and 35" wheel tire combo. Suggestions for any parts are welcomed!
The Teraflex ST3 kit is a great setup. I would recommend spending the extra money and getting the Falcon shocks with it. Larger bodies, longer stroke and valved great for a JK. 4.56 gears with the 35" tires make a great combo and they are worth the money to maintain the drive-ability.

AMO JKU:
Evo MFG 3" plush ride springs
Falcon 3.3 series quick adjust shocks w/ rear skids.
Currie Anti-Rock up front
Super Spring Sumo Bump Stops all around
Synergy Front upper and lower adjustable arms
Synergy FrontTrack bar w/ brace
Synergy front axle sleeves welded in
4.56 gears
35" Goodyear MTRs
Fuel Trophy Wheels
Teraflex HD tire carrier
ARB Deluxe front bumper w/ Warn Zeon 10 winch
LOD full width rear bumper(tow rated)
Poison Spyder Brawler rockers
Trucklite Headlights
KC Gravity Fog lights

Check out my IG for pics of the rig out on the trail.... it works great and it is my wifes Daily Driver.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Wow, Thats an impressive build. How do you like your sPod and your Alpine X109? Also with your Truck-Lite Heated LED headlights do you have any flickering issues?
The sPod is great. It isolates all the lights, and helps preserve my batteries. I use the sPod for low importance stuff. Hi hi importance stuff goes directly to my Genesis. I never have to worry about not starting.

I did the alpine for the Nav and cameras. Having a view of my my front tires, to place them on obstacles is a life saver.

The sPod is great. It isolates all the lights, and helps preserve my batteries. I use the sPod for low importance stuff. Hi hi importance stuff goes directly to my Genesis. I never have to worry about not starting.

I did the alpine for the Nav and cameras. Having a view of my my front tires, to place them on obstacles is a life saver.

Yes, the rock cameras seem like a great idea.

The Teraflex ST3 kit is a great setup. I would recommend spending the extra money and getting the Falcon shocks with it. Larger bodies, longer stroke and valved great for a JK. 4.56 gears with the 35" tires make a great combo and they are worth the money to maintain the drive-ability.

AMO JKU:
Evo MFG 3" plush ride springs
Falcon 3.3 series quick adjust shocks w/ rear skids.
Currie Anti-Rock up front
Super Spring Sumo Bump Stops all around
Synergy Front upper and lower adjustable arms
Synergy FrontTrack bar w/ brace
Synergy front axle sleeves welded in
4.56 gears
35" Goodyear MTRs
Fuel Trophy Wheels
Teraflex HD tire carrier
ARB Deluxe front bumper w/ Warn Zeon 10 winch
LOD full width rear bumper(tow rated)
Poison Spyder Brawler rockers
Trucklite Headlights
KC Gravity Fog lights

Check out my IG for pics of the rig out on the trail.... it works great and it is my wifes Daily Driver.
How is the overall performance on the highway with the 4.56 gears and the 35" tires?