Last Name
Frank
Member #

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I would love to know what antenna you used also. Trying to figure out options for the radio I just picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

It was a model EM-MX0452 from EMWave.

I am very happy with the setup

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I picked up a Browning BR-180 which is a dual band HAM antenna. While not specifically for GMRS there were enough comments in the reviews that it works fine on GMRS frequencies. Initial testing was good but need to spend some more time with it. I wanted something to work with my HAM radio as well.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
One downside to using a dualband antenna is that it's much larger than necessary to accommodate the longer wavelength of 2M.

Reactions: Downs

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The Tram (same as Browning) 1128 is a short UHF antenna that seems to work on GMRS fine per the reviews.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
The Tram (same as Browning) 1128 is a short UHF antenna that seems to work on GMRS fine per the reviews.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I only run the antenna when we are actually headed out on an adventure so length isn't a huge concern. That said these antennas are relatively cheap, always good to have options!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I like the profile of those... But do the work? Do they provide good reception/transmit capabilities?

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Reviews look good on Amazon, of course it's a compromise compared to 1/2 or 5/8 but reasonable for small group comms on GMRS. 1/4 wave of 460MHz is only 6.3". One review pointed out something that I hadn't considered, the lack of flutter, compared to a whip.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Reactions: Sean S

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Yeah, shows how much I was paying attention, I didn't realize it was going on a JK... I wouldn't do that either.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I love those Midland's. How does it perform with the new antenna, better than the stock one that comes with it? Enough to warrant the change? That will be my next radio to install, the small size makes it great for mounting anywhere inside the cab.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I don't know if it was available when @Rob Frank bought his Midland Micro for $150 at Cabala's, but the 15 watt version is now available for the same price. (5 W on the lower channels and 15W on the higher.)

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I don't know if it was available when @Rob Frank bought his Midland Micro for $150 at Cabala's, but the 15 watt version is now available for the same price. (5 W on the lower channels and 15W on the higher.)
Probably not, those 3 new models just came out. I picked up a Btech (Baofeng) GMRS V1 before they came out as it has the repeater functions and can monitor HAM, but now with these new Midlands I will probably trade up at some point. The GMRS V1 is still a good deal in my opinion for those that don't want to spend the extra cash, I posted up a thread about it for those that are interested:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/btech-gmrs-v1-radio.5856/

Would be great to see some more Midland reviews if anyone has picked up one of the new models.

Reactions: Steve

DAVISPM1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Weatherford, Texas
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB5IQY
Just installed the Midland GMRS in my jeep, removed my Cobra CB radio, and enjoying this radio.

CB has too many issues and upkeep, tuning/keeping it grounded, lack of range.

With my install, went with a different antenna; from my local radio shop

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MIDLAND-MICRO-MOBILE-GMRS-RADIO/2041820.uts?productVariantId=4199603&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5XqukcMRkcjo2dkOupGRezYnQOw_Tgzy3TzZCneVjf_TRoC54Pw_wcB
Who do you talk to? Other GMRS people with the same radio? Are you limited because i would think more people would have a cb.