Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

(Nikko OB12727)

I am deciding to share my sleeping platform system project I recently completed on my black 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport (JKU).

A bit about our travels:

I wont be linking many pictures since I have published a 3-part series of videos on our YouTube Channel. Please Subscribe to our new overland adventure and DIY themed channel as it will help us get exposure much faster in the overland community. Lee and I both decided we were going to plan the Trans-America Trail (TAT) cross country trip last year. We have both been living in Hot and Humid Florida for the last 7 years and have decided to call it quits with our jobs and explore while we still can. We managed to save up quite a bit for this build and trip across the US so we would be comfortable along our travels. April 1st 2019 is the official departure date to ride out and tackle the TAT together. We are extremely excited.

The Sleeping Platform System in detail:

Lee and I both agreed a RTT would be too costly compared to tent camping. However we both didn't want to sacrifice protection and overall comfort camping in small tents every night especially in bear territory. We also wanted a place to sleep in case we could not make it to a camp spot that night in time. This gave us the idea to build our own internal sleeping platform inside the JKU which offers the protection, privacy and comfort with added storage organization bonuses.

(I decided to document the interior removal and framing process of the platform project. Here is our 3-part series on how we accomplished our DIY goal.)

(NOTE: We will be attending Overland Expo West 2019 this year! May 17th - 19th. Vehicle camping weekend pass.)
(DM me for possible meet up and convoy from MOAB UT.)

Our YouTube Channel: Nikko and Lee

Part #1: HERE
Part #2: HERE
Part #3: HERE

Thank you guys for checking out our Jeep project! Subscribe to the channel if you like what you see.

- Nikko and Lee

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 1.02.08 AM.png

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
NIce! So, on the platform with a mattress, does it give you enough room to sit up? That has been my concern with doing anything over about 6" for a platform.

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

NIce! So, on the platform with a mattress, does it give you enough room to sit up? That has been my concern with doing anything over about 6" for a platform.
We fit nicely inside without the mattress. With the mattress we will have a tough time siting up straight on the platform. We will still be content with this sicne we will only be using this platform for sleeping and storing our gear. Thanks again for tuning in! (We will be purchasing a ARB awning once we hit Expo West this year hopefully!) :)

Reactions: JCWages and Jedi

Bwestfla

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sanford, FL, USA
Member #

Just ran across your build and your youtube channel and watched the video of the Ocala trip. I guess I need to join officially so I can see the meet ups. I very much want to go on the next trip. I too am in Sanford, FL.

Will be following along. Have been contemplating a JLU to facilitate longer journeys but I still love my TJ.

Brian

Off-Camber

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Moncton, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE9JEP
(Nikko OB12727)

I am deciding to share my sleeping platform system project I recently completed on my black 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport (JKU).

A bit about our travels:

I wont be linking many pictures since I have published a 3-part series of videos on our YouTube Channel. Please Subscribe to our new overland adventure and DIY themed channel as it will help us get exposure much faster in the overland community. Lee and I both decided we were going to plan the Trans-America Trail (TAT) cross country trip last year. We have both been living in Hot and Humid Florida for the last 7 years and have decided to call it quits with our jobs and explore while we still can. We managed to save up quite a bit for this build and trip across the US so we would be comfortable along our travels. April 1st 2019 is the official departure date to ride out and tackle the TAT together. We are extremely excited.

The Sleeping Platform System in detail:

Lee and I both agreed a RTT would be too costly compared to tent camping. However we both didn't want to sacrifice protection and overall comfort camping in small tents every night especially in bear territory. We also wanted a place to sleep in case we could not make it to a camp spot that night in time. This gave us the idea to build our own internal sleeping platform inside the JKU which offers the protection, privacy and comfort with added storage organization bonuses.

(I decided to document the interior removal and framing process of the platform project. Here is our 3-part series on how we accomplished our DIY goal.)

(NOTE: We will be attending Overland Expo West 2019 this year! May 17th - 19th. Vehicle camping weekend pass.)
(DM me for possible meet up and convoy from MOAB UT.)

Our YouTube Channel: Nikko and Lee

Part #1: HERE
Part #2: HERE
Part #3: HERE

Thank you guys for checking out our Jeep project! Subscribe to the channel if you like what you see.

- Nikko and Lee

View attachment 89942
Nice build, love the setup1

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Saw your video from OBX on You Tube. Nice-I go there every fall for surf fishing!
Hey Awesome!! I love the Outer Banks. I used to go camping out there when I was young with my pops. Such good vibes out there! Thanks for tuning in to the channel. The trip is going great!

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Just ran across your build and your youtube channel and watched the video of the Ocala trip. I guess I need to join officially so I can see the meet ups. I very much want to go on the next trip. I too am in Sanford, FL.

Will be following along. Have been contemplating a JLU to facilitate longer journeys but I still love my TJ.

Brian
Awesome! Thanks for tuning into our channel. The trip is going great so far.