Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Cons; you’ll spend all your money on mods.
No, really honey, I don't need to put any money into it. It's a Jeep.
But, I really need that bumper, lift, tires, winch............ It's a Jeep. It needs these things and think how cool it will look.
We don't want it looking "stock" what will others think....it's a Jeep.

Scott

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I bought my 2003 TJ Rubicon at the end of 2003 and used it as a daily driver and adventure rig to 2015. In 2015 I bought my Land Cruiser and it has taken over as daily driver and adventure rig, but I've kept the TJ around because I just can't sell it. I've put 130k miles on my TJ. In 2007 my girlfriend (now wife) and I spent a week in Colorado living out of the TJ. The back was packed, but we managed and had a blast.

The TJ is a comfortable Jeep and very capable off the tarmac. I would probably still be using it as a daily driver if I didn't let the mod bug bite me. Over the years I made the drivability poor and expedited parts wearing out by lifting, tucking, installing big tires and over gearing it. If you keep them stock or only slightly modified, the TJ will be as reliable as any Toyota.

My favorite thing about the TJ is the ergonomics from the drivers seat. At 6'3" I love the steering wheel placement, support from the stock seat and location of any knob or leaver I need need to reach. I hate to sound cliche, but it is an amazing vehicle off road. This probably has more to do with the wheel base and simple suspension than anything. It is much more fun to drive than my 100 series, but isn't nearly as comfortable.

What took my TJ out of daily driver status was the fact it was constantly chewing through wheel bearings and the extraordinarily high cruising RPM on the highway. Neither of these are the fault of the Jeep and was caused by my modifications to it.

Last edited:

RXV_POOR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Antigua
If you are just going to daily it and do mild off roading a 4.0 Sport is fine. Depending on your budget from there on dictates what to get option wise. If you want to run 33's get a Rubicon because of stronger axles if you plan on more serious off roading. Stronger axels = less problems. With a Jeep especially a new TJ everything is fixable and/or replaceable.

Getting the 4.0 to breath better will allow you to enjoy your Jeep more.

Reactions: Thelgord

Hiluxoverland

Rank III

Advocate II

If your looking at a TJ, go right to the top model. Look at the Rubicon. Dana 44’s front and rear. Unless you go bigger than 35’s and wheel super aggressively you’ll never need another axle under you. That will save you thousands upfront. If you get a base TJ your looking at a Dana 35/30 combo. The Dana 30 is ok to 33’s if your mindful but the rear Dana 35 is kinda a turd. Any vehicle can be a great overland/adventure rig. All in panning buddy and what your goals are. Have fun with it

Reactions: RXV_POOR