Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The question may not have been for me, but here is what my answer would be. I ran the KO2s for a while on different vehicles and loved them. Never any trouble and seem to wear great. I bought the first set of KM3s in our valley. Have been happy with them so far, but you can hear them on the Highway! Not loud, but noticed. Snow, work okay, but not as good on packed snow as the KO2. I love the looks and traction off-road, but had no trouble with the KO2 ether. Glad I have the KM3s, and so far, would buy them again. Guess it comes down to your use. Ether tire model will be a good tire. There is a real reason that many Overlanders use BFG! Vance.

• Love
Reactions: 9Mike2

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

When I bought tires this last time, I wanted something more aggressive, than my KO2s. Nothing wrong with them and always made it out of the mountains and woods. I lived in both climates from the coast to inland parts of the PNW. Have had many 4x4s of many models. On the beach the KOs were great. Get up in the hills of the coast fly fishing and hunting, I had a few scary rides getting back out with the clay and mud, but always made it. Many of the mud tires I tried were good off-road but not so good for Highway use all the time, plus they would wear out fast at a high cost to replace. Also, snow use was just okay. Years back I was lucky to even have a vehicle with an LSD in the rear axle. Now things are different, and there are many great All-Terrain to mud tires, to choose from. Some even have 40,000+ mileage warranties. Special compounds in the rubber for better wear and even helps with traction. Now all my vehicles are locked in at least the rear axles, except my Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins 4x4 truck. Setting my Jeep Cherokee up for Overland travel, and not having to drive to work everyday, I bought the BFG KM3s. My thoughts were this. If I got stuck many miles from help, with my health I’m not sure I could hike out? Plus, the cost of vehicle recovery could be the price of 4 new tires! ( yes I know I should not travel alone but, I do) I hope the difference with mud tires will keep that from ever happening. And yes, I do have a winch also! Most of the time and for most driving conditions KO2s would’ve been all you need. It is the small percent of the time, that you need more and the KM3s give me that. It all depends on your needs and where you want to be able to go. For me, the KM3s were my choice. Vance.

Reactions: 9Mike2

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
Did you have to reinforce the roof rack to carry that tent, or does it do fine with the OEM parts?
So far it’s been fine knock on wood. I don’t live in the rust belt either so I’m sure that helps lol

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

So far it’s been fine knock on wood. I don’t live in the rust belt either so I’m sure that helps lol
Thanks! We are in the rust belt, but my son's WJ has almost none. I think it would be a blast to have a RTT.

What size tires are you running on the Rubicon rims? Do you have a lift? Yours is set up the way my son wants to do his, eventually.

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
Thanks! We are in the rust belt, but my son's WJ has almost none. I think it would be a blast to have a RTT.

What size tires are you running on the Rubicon rims? Do you have a lift? Yours is set up the way my son wants to do his, eventually.
265/75/17’s. They came off a stock Rubicon JK
Just a budget boost lift spacers. 2.5” front 2” rear
With all my stuff loaded the rear squats more than I like. But with the awd I can get too crazy without having to change out drivelines and yokes. If I ever go that far I’ll just do a selectable transfer case. Or maybe just some airbags in the rear.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

87 MJ I’ve been building for cheep. Never thought id own One. It’s rough and rusty but I love it. 4.0 aw4 381,000 miles still runs good (enough). View attachment 115049
Nice! I have a group of guys up the street from me that have WJ's and two Comanche's. The Rat Pack off road, they call themselves. And one guy built his from the frame up!

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Have all the parts together to pull my steering box out of the Red Baron, to make the repairs, then new grade 8 hardware, new frame spacer, and steering shaft brace. Hope it’s on the road again soon. Vance.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Here are our two Jeeps.

First up is Annie, our 2014 JK Unlimited Sport.

20190904_213128220_iOS.jpg

The mod list will be as follows,

2" teraflex leveling system
falcon 3.2 shocks
sport lower control arms
9550 stabilizer
Griffin attenuator
285 KO2s
teraflex nebo roof rack
vdp high clearance (wide ones) bumper caps
max 3 light mount with hoop
hella 500s with 55w 4300k HID
airbags for the rear
some sort of molle rear divider to keep things from flying into the passenger area
action packer mounting
hella e code headlights
some sort of wheels
other odds and ends

and here is our number 2 jeep. our 2015 patriot altitude edition

20171003_151741120_iOS.jpg

mod list as follows

2" rough country lift
16 moab wheels black
235/75/16 KO2
oe spectrum struts
RRO front light mount
hella 450s with 55w 4300k HID
hella 2.0 headlight bulbs
front runner platform rack, they have a patriot specific version that looks fantastic.!
travall barricade
some sort of nav and communication equipment
LED signal brake and reverse lights
trailer hitch
and other odds and ends

Last edited:

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

My brother’s 2015 JKUR Hard Rock on an AEV 2.5” and 35s. My 2004 TJR on a TeraFlex 2” spring lift and 32s. Also TeraFlex BellyUp, exhaust hanger mod, Tom Wood’s CV rear shaft, Metalcloak upper & lower control arms, Trucklite LED headlights, Quadratec LED taillights (recent mods for this trip to the Maze).1571157327220.jpeg Taking a break on the Doll House Trail enroute to Doll House 3 campsite (2 days ago).
1571157327220.jpeg

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Here are our two Jeeps.

First up is Annie, our 2014 JK Unlimited Sport.

View attachment 117738

The mod list will be as follows,

2" teraflex leveling system
falcon 3.2 shocks
sport lower control arms
9550 stabilizer
Griffin attenuator
285 KO2s
teraflex nebo roof rack
vdp high clearance (wide ones) bumper caps
max 3 light mount with hoop
hella 500s with 55w 4300k HID
airbags for the rear
some sort of molle rear divider to keep things from flying into the passenger area
action packer mounting
hella e code headlights
some sort of wheels
other odds and ends

and here is our number 2 jeep. our 2015 patriot altitude edition

View attachment 117739

mod list as follows

2" rough country lift
16 moab wheels black
235/75/16 KO2
oe spectrum struts
RRO front light mount
hella 450s with 55w 4300k HID
hella 2.0 headlight bulbs
front runner platform rack, they have a patriot specific version that looks fantastic.!
travall barricade
some sort of nav and communication equipment
LED signal brake and reverse lights
trailer hitch
and other odds and ends

Little change in the lift on the patriot, we are going to go with the 1.5" daystar instead of the RC lift. A little lower, better on the axles, etc. 2" is pushing it on the little pat.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My brother’s 2015 JKUR Hard Rock on an AEV 2.5” and 35s. My 2004 TJR on a TeraFlex 2” spring lift and 32s. Also TeraFlex BellyUp, exhaust hanger mod, Tom Wood’s CV rear shaft, Metalcloak upper & lower control arms, Trucklite LED headlights, Quadratec LED taillights (recent mods for this trip to the Maze).View attachment 122166 Taking a break on the Doll House Trail enroute to Doll House 3 campsite (2 days ago).
View attachment 122166
two awesome rigs. is it the picture or is the JK that much bigger than the tj? it's look down right massive in front of it!