• HTML tutorial

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

Hey There!
Adding to my Jeep Sleeping Platform post, I created DIY Window Ventilation for my Jeep JKU.

Here's how I did it!

I saw a couple of years ago a post someone from Germany made about sleeping in his Jeep. He showed some rear window vents that he ordered in Germany. They're quality vents that fit in the windows of the Jeep rear doors - put them in - slide the window closed and you have ventilation. They sell for something like $220.00.

I thought there must be a way to make these a little cheaper so i went to the hardware store.

I picked up 2 pieces of Gutter Guards - the product that keeps leaves out of your gutter. They have a small channel on one side of them that fit perfectly over the window. $5.00 for both.

Next, I cut the gutter guard to fit within the window frame. I left enough on both sides and trimmed the rest so there was material that would fit in the window channel. To install, roll down the rear window, turn the fitted gutter guard at an angle to fit in the window channel, place the gutter guard channel over the top edge of the window and carefully roll up the window so the gutter guard fits into the upper door/window channel. Easy Peasy!

After test fitting, I removed the trimmed pieces and installed a piece of plastic screen material with a hot glue gun onto the inside of the gutter guard window vent. Poof! - small insects can no longer get in the small holes of the gutter guard.

In all I have maybe $10.00 dollars invested (because I had to buy a roll of screen material). 5.00 for the guards (2) and a roll of screen material, a little hot glue and cheap but effective rear window vents for sleeping in the back of the Jeep. PS, this could also be useful for Furry Co-Pilots!

Let me know of any questions you have! I'm thinking I may make a video of the whole process - its so easy...

Enjoy!
Bryan

Attachments

SOLVEFUNCTION

Rank V

Steward II

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Lim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ETO
Hey There!
Adding to my Jeep Sleeping Platform post, I created DIY Window Ventilation for my Jeep JKU.

Here's how I did it!

I saw a couple of years ago a post someone from Germany made about sleeping in his Jeep. He showed some rear window vents that he ordered in Germany. They're quality vents that fit in the windows of the Jeep rear doors - put them in - slide the window closed and you have ventilation. They sell for something like $220.00.

I thought there must be a way to make these a little cheaper so i went to the hardware store.

I picked up 2 pieces of Gutter Guards - the product that keeps leaves out of your gutter. They have a small channel on one side of them that fit perfectly over the window. $5.00 for both.

Next, I cut the gutter guard to fit within the window frame. I left enough on both sides and trimmed the rest so there was material that would fit in the window channel. To install, roll down the rear window, turn the fitted gutter guard at an angle to fit in the window channel, place the gutter guard channel over the top edge of the window and carefully roll up the window so the gutter guard fits into the upper door/window channel. Easy Peasy!

After test fitting, I removed the trimmed pieces and installed a piece of plastic screen material with a hot glue gun onto the inside of the gutter guard window vent. Poof! - small insects can no longer get in the small holes of the gutter guard.

In all I have maybe $10.00 dollars invested (because I had to buy a roll of screen material). 5.00 for the guards (2) and a roll of screen material, a little hot glue and cheap but effective rear window vents for sleeping in the back of the Jeep. PS, this could also be useful for Furry Co-Pilots!

Let me know of any questions you have! I'm thinking I may make a video of the whole process - its so easy...

Enjoy!
Bryan
Nice

Reactions: MazeVX

Marc Simcox

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Newport Beach, CA, USA
Member #

Where did you get the gutter screen? Lowes, Home Depot and Ace dont show as carrying the frost king near me, and the ones they do carry dont have the channel, I might have to order it through Amazon, it’s more, but they do also have white which is the color of my Jeep, sooo it might just be worth it alone.

JPaul

Rank V

Pioneer I

Mendon, UT, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1JPA
Great idea, and one way to improve it if you have mosquitoes or similar is you could probably spray one side with adhesive and then press on some window screen material and trim to fit. Could even go with no-seeum mesh too since the holes are so small in the gutter guard.

Reactions: stevet47

calripp

Rank I

Contributor III

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Cal
Last Name
Ripp
AMAZING IDEA! I must have watched the exact same video (with the German vents) and have been trying to find a DIY solution. This is perfect!

Sparky511

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Chelsi
Last Name
Coulombe
Member #

I have the same setup, works great. I spray painted the gutter guards black after and now they look good too. Love the idea about adding a fan...how did you mount it? The guards are a little flimsy.