• HTML tutorial

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Wanted to start a build thred for my Prado D4D 2007-modell.

IT´s a Lancruiser called LC 120 KDJ in Europe/Norway, with a 3,0L diesel engine.
It´s got really low mileage, only 38.000 miles, or 61.000km as we measure it in Europe. It has been raised 3" on the springs, got 35" Duratrac tires on 17" wheels. New fenders and trimmed the interior wheel base. The wheels are a -52 ET to fit the brake calippers.

Have a lot of plans with this car. It´s probably as all other builds, a "build-in-progress", until you find a new car to build :blush:

ARB Front/Rear Lockers.
ARB Twin Compressor with onboard air.
African Outback roofrack.
Safari snorkel and extend all 4 breathers (both diffs, AT/Transfercase).
New Fox shockers for Prado 150 with appropriate springs to increase the lift, and to level out the car. (It´s a bit lower in front than in the rear).
ALU skidplates protecting underbody.

All this are being build at the moment. It´s been long days, but have got great help from Arctic Trucks in Norway. For those of you who don´t know Arctic Trucks, check out their website: www.arctictrucks.com, or this awesome Hilux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAx84d1y8_s :blush:

Anyway, here´s the Prado before the mentioned accesories. Will post more photos later.

Reactions: Arailt

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Here`s a random pick of some of the cars I´ve had over the years, from when I was living out of my car as a full-time climber, til I got a decent job and could upgrade to less-cheap-rusty-cars... :blush:

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Very Nice. One of my great friend just moved back to Oppdal. Beautiful country.

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Oppdal is a really nice place indeed @Wolwee. Your friend is Norwegian I guess?

Myself, I´m from a small place close to Lillehammer, if any of you know that place..? Or probably not :blush: Well anyway, Lillehammer hosted the Winter Olympics in 1994 :blush:
Check it out on YouTube!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Ivar,

Iam very curious about the build of your Rig.
And, when you driving down to Switzerland this summer, just think about it, you will pass probarly very close to us. So we could meet somewhere and have coffee, or spend the evening and dinner. We always like to have an excuse to go out for dinner and have a nice drive.

Greetings from Robert

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Yes, that's where he's from. He lived here in the states for the last 15 years but just decided one day to move back last year.

I know lillehammer by the Netflix TV show and the Olympics but mostly the show, lol.

E

expeditionnorth

nice rig

whats the long term plans/goal for this ?

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

Ivar, nice looking rig you have . Any plans for a roof rack? will subscribe to your thread.
Frisly

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I love this! I cant wait to see how your build turns out. Can we see a few more pics in this thread of how it looks now? I'm going to do a post so people can check it out and follow along!

Cheers! Thanks for your contributions!

M

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Hi fellow enthusiasts :blush:

The Prado has just been through a great weekend, with lots of snow and windy conditions in the mountains. It was a pleasure to see how it managed in the snow after the lockers came on. Airing down the tires, engaging lockers, and the Duratracs manage to pull the Prado through some really deep snow!

Unfortunately I forgot my camera so no photos from this weekends fun in the snow.
But took some with my phone filling up the tank this morning. Seems like Gas stations are our second home...

The Prado has now got a African Outback roofrack, repainted from grey to black, to match the Prado. I´m really happy so far, altough it´s only a week old, so I´ll post pros and cons after more use. But for now it works well. Lots of anchor points. Minimal wind noise. And extremely solid and stable, when walking on top.

The Fox shocks and springs in front have really made a big difference in both stability and comfort. It´s softer than the original shocks, but firmer at the same time when the corrugations sets in. Incredibly stable and have also leveled the car, where it used to be lower in front.

The Koni shocks in the rear, well what can I say, it works great :blush: Will have to mount the Coil Rites in the rear springs soon, to get more load capacity when needed.

The Oil Catch Can are in planning. Got some help and mooved the washer fluid tank, and fitted the ARB Twin turbo air compressor where the tank used to be. This makes room for the Catch Can. Will wait for some milder weather before i clean the IC and EGR, and then mount the CC.

Are also planning to install a Dual Battery set-up, to run electronics when camping. The 2 starter batteries I have now, will be supplied with a 3 battery. Have not decided on what brand to choose battery from yet. Likely it will be a Optima Yellow top, but depends on price.

It´s not for free all this upgrading. And, it´s dangerous to fall in the ever-continous-upgrade-addiction, instead of actually use the Prado for what it was intended to - namely EXPLORING LIFE. So, for not to go bankrupt, I might actually focus on using the Prado now, and put the build-time into Overlanding and Exploring.

Will keep you posted on how things goes eventually :blush:

Keep Exploring.

SKÅL

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

More photos, altough i Struggled a bit putting them in the same post...

Any way of editing old posts??

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Thanks @Michael!
Among the Cruiser enthusiasts here in Norway, my Prado are considered to be a "light-cruiser" :wink:
But, I have to say, I´m extremely happy for it, and it´s also more manouvrable than the 100 series I had before this Prado.
Great site you have, I just dig the OverlandBound concept!
Happy to be a part of it :blush:

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Hi guys!

Long time - no update...

But things have happened for the better with my Rig.

The Oil Catch Can are installed. Took about 3 hours to install it, had to remove the intercooler, and drill new holes in the Can, to suit larger tubes coming from the engine. But, now it´s working as a charm, and all the oil-mist that used to go straight back into the intake, now gets collected in the bottom of the can.

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Managed to get some time to install the Firestone Coil Rites last week as well.

Must say that it did the trick! With 20psi in the coils rites, the cruiser felt almost like a sportscar to drive... :wink: (Although I have never driven a sportscar...)

Are really looking forward to feel the difference when loading it up with gear. Have grat expectations about better handling from now on!

And, if that´s not it, managed to extend the 24 hour time limit in one day last weekend, and serviced the car on all fluid, filters, moly grease etc.

Also, had a workshop to flush my automatic transmission. So now, even though it´s still Toyota with it´s solid and brute transmission, it holds high gears better, without gearing unecessary.

Will post some photos when I manage to break them down in bites :blush:

nuclearlemon

Rank 0

Contributor I

cool rig.  nice to see built cruisers in my families homeland.  my father was born in husebo and my mothers parents are from lono and around rogaland.