Launch Member

Contributor II

Mid West Ireland
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Everyone who has said that overlanding doesn't require a 4x4 is 100% correct.

I've owned 4wd vehicles since 1999 and only now in life am I starting to be able to to consider doing some of the things I dream of.

In Ireland vehicles are very expensive as is the import duty on a vehicle bought abroad and registered here.

There is little true off-road travel here and limited opportunity for real wild camping but here are some on-road routes to be traveled like the Wild Atlantic Way, Ring of Kerry, Donegal etc... which offer stunning scenery.

With this reality in mind, my family have just acquired a second hand motorhome rather than a dedicated rugged 4x4. I still have a tiny 4wd drive car (which believe it or not is actually necessary for few miles immediately around my home in winter time when we get inclement weather) but the motorhome is going to be a game changer for my family.

We'll be able to easier take off on a trip at very short notice and plan to travel to the UK and mainland Europe with it as time and finance allows.

It's a "stock" motorhome from LMC built on a Ford Transit chassis (2WD) so parts and upkeep shouldn't be an issue. I know where and where not to drive it and how important traction mats and even MaxTrax are for self-recovery (you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get these things sent to Ireland!!!) as well as being prepared by having appropriate recovery gear onboard such as straps and shackles for a tow out of a wet field etc...

We've many years camping experience with tents and a trailer with a homemade box for hauling our gear so this is a huge move for us. Moving forward we'll be able to enjoy travel activities and adventures a lot more.

It may look like every other motorhome in the sense that it's not visually modified (I am adding an additional battery for off-grid use as well as USB charging sockets, 12V round sockets, a handful more mains sockets and upgrading as much of the interior lighting to LED from halogen) but it's the journey that will count for us.

Overlanding is a mindset and an adventure. The vehicle is a facilitator to that.

MunsterGeo Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mid West Ireland
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Great topic, because we firmly believe that the vehicle (or lack thereof) matters not -- it's the attitude that matters. Here's some great example of non-typical Overlanding rigs:

Here's some from Reddit/r/battlewagon:

View attachment 102828

Volvo!

And who can forget Captain Slow, the Orangutang, and the Hampster's various adventures in atypical vehicles in Top Gear and the Grand Tour; if you are an avid Overlander and you have not watched the Top Gear and Grand Tour Specials, they are almost universally excellent.

At various times, the trio has taken Mercedes, Opel, and Lancia touring cars through Botswana; they've taken a Volvo, a BMW, and a Subaru estate car to find the source of the nile. Yes, they have a 100 person support crew and yes, it's a silly TV show, but these three have done more Overhanding-Type trips than most of us can dream of:

View attachment 102832
Absolutely loving the look of that Volvo and hopefully at the end of this year / start of next year I'll be upgrading to a 2016 Subaru Forester when a family member is ready to change for a new one!

Gotta love the Fozz. Another OB member, living in France has a Fozz and is currently kitting it out for an Overland adventure on which he is hoping to bring it to Japan! Best of luck to Jordan, ANLSM Overland on that epic adventure :)

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Overlanding certainly does not require 4x4, I have met many overlanders throughout the world in some remote regions with 2wd on the likes of the Pamir Highway also many locals in Mongolia drive Toyoto Prius.
Overlanding vehicles depend on the type of overlanding you want to do. Just because you have a 4x4 does not make you any more of an overlander than someone with 2wd that confusion that
I agree. Do not believe all overlanding means rock crawling and super difficult trails through mud pits as some seem to think must have 4x4 and particular make and model vehicle for. People can have 2 wheel drives and still travel trails and across land for difference if scenery and to get away from city. Maybe that is why it advised in the beginning when becoming a member that they will not further define overlanding because it means different things to different people. Thus any vehicle is welcome :)

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
And be smart enough to NOT go where the vehicle wont make it. If I could afford to jump on a plane and buy three tickets I think I could afford to rent a 4 wheel drive and not subject myself to the hazards of a car that is not capable of going where I might want to go safely and KNOW It will bring me back. So we are talking now about intelligence not vehicles.
Exactly. It's been called "Car Camping" for decades. These days you can visit almost anywhere in any vehicle due to most places having improved roads designed just so people without a 4x4 can get there.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
It's my firm belief that a person should overland in a vehicle that is less capable than their overlanding skills.

Relying on a vehicle that is "built" to get me out of a situation that it got me into is a recipe for disaster.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Relying on a vehicle that is "built" to get me out of a situation that it got me into is a recipe for disaster.
It's never the vehicle that gets you into a situation, it's the driver. Your brain is what should be "built" most.

Reactions: Billiebob