Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

It says on all the overland bound merch “it doesn’t matter what you drive” and yet the majority of photos of people’s rigs are hardcore 4x4 overland set-ups. I’m interested to see how inventive people have been with standard cars and how they have truly lived the motto of not mattering what you drive..... Please post pics (photo not mine but we did have a Citroen van identical to this when I was a kid) IMG_0366.JPG

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Great topic, because we firmly believe that the vehicle (or lack thereof) matters not -- it's the attitude that matters. Here's some great example of non-typical Overlanding rigs:

Here's some from Reddit/r/battlewagon:

Volvo!

Yet another Volvo!

Check out this sweet Subaru, from u/jimurl on Reddit:

For more options, check out this guy who took a Honda C-90 places that no C-90 has business going:

Ed March – Around The World On A 30-Year-Old Honda C90

And who can forget Captain Slow, the Orangutang, and the Hampster's various adventures in atypical vehicles in Top Gear and the Grand Tour; if you are an avid Overlander and you have not watched the Top Gear and Grand Tour Specials, they are almost universally excellent.

At various times, the trio has taken Mercedes, Opel, and Lancia touring cars through Botswana; they've taken a Volvo, a BMW, and a Subaru estate car to find the source of the nile. They drove "Lorry"-style long-haul trucks in Cambodia, cheap motorbikes in Vietnam, vintage American iron all through the USA, and we cannot forget John from Mongolia. Here's some highlight photos; Yes, they have a 100 person support crew and yes, it's a silly TV show, but these three have done more Overhanding-Type trips than most of us can dream of:

Personally we've done adventures in a 4-door Honda Civic and a Jaguar XJS v12 convertible, (It was a long trip but over too quickly....). Neither vehicle was 'prepped' for the trips we took, but the right attitude and outlook can compensate for almost any variable on the road or with the rig.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
What's the complaint here ? I see nothing but entheusiastict Overlanders and their rigs, some more elaborate than your complaining about !
80% of the rigs I see on OB forums are not hard core anything. They have lifts, bigger tires, roof racks, winches, camping equipment, just like the pictures presented on this thread. Yes, there are people with $50,000 trucks and SUV's but that is what they cost now days. I cant afford them, maybe you cant either but as we all know we go with what we have. I assure you the Volvos, Audis, Mercedes and others shown her so far, cost as much or more than many rigs shown on this forum. Yes we welcome everything including your opinions.

I started to join a state organization for trail riding. They publish a list of things (for serious off roading) you must have in order to go with them anywhere, even if you don't rock climb. I didn't join because although the equipment they required is necessary equipment, I couldn't afford to meet their requirements.
OB dose not have that kind of list or requirements . They invite you to come with whatever you have. Most bring what they drive every day so they are not hard core, just mediocre out of necessity. I have three different rigs, all capable of doing what they will be called to do. Still no rock climbers among them because I don't want to go rock climbing at my age. All are old but all still cost money to prepare for even picnics by the river or lake. So please don't complain about what Rigs members post on this forum, it goes along with OB's plan to bring us all together in harmony. Lanlubber

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

What's the complaint here ? I see nothing but entheusiastict Overlanders and their rigs, some more elaborate than your complaining about !
80% of the rigs I see on OB forums are not hard core anything. They have lifts, bigger tires, roof racks, winches, camping equipment, just like the pictures presented on this thread. Yes, there are people with $50,000 trucks and SUV's but that is what they cost now days. I cant afford them, maybe you cant either but as we all know we go with what we have. I assure you the Volvos, Audis, Mercedes and others shown her so far, cost as much or more than many rigs shown on this forum. Yes we welcome everything including your opinions.

I started to join a state organization for trail riding. They publish a list of things (for serious off roading) you must have in order to go with them anywhere, even if you don't rock climb. I didn't join because although the equipment they required is necessary equipment, I couldn't afford to meet their requirements.
OB dose not have that kind of list or requirements . They invite you to come with whatever you have. Most bring what they drive every day so they are not hard core, just mediocre out of necessity. I have three different rigs, all capable of doing what they will be called to do. Still no rock climbers among them because I don't want to go rock climbing at my age. All are old but all still cost money to prepare for even picnics by the river or lake. So please don't complain about what Rigs members post on this forum, it goes along with OB's plan to bring us all together in harmony. Lanlubber
I’m not quite sure where you are coming from here dude- no one is complaining about anyone’s rigs? I think you have totally got the wrong end of the stick:( The idea of the post is to share some pics of cars not necessarily the first choice for off-roading and over landing. There is certainly no complaining going on about anyone’s rigs or even any mention of how much anyone’s vehicle cost

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I’m not quite sure where you are coming from here dude- no one is complaining about anyone’s rigs? I think you have totally got the wrong end of the stick:( The idea of the post is to share some pics of cars not necessarily the first choice for off-roading and over landing. There is certainly no complaining going on about anyone’s rigs or even any mention of how much anyone’s vehicle cost
Agreed. I see no complaints here, or any mention of how much a rig cost someone. Just a post for people with "non-typical" overlanding vehicles to share their rides. I think it's a great idea and am looking forward to seeing how inventive folks have been.

Reactions: Bjorn

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We met these Aussies in Kazakhstan doing the Mongol Rally
39588920_2151714895110298_2162440811478777856_o.jpg

We also met this crazy Russian with his girlfriend in Mongolia overlanding to Lake Baikel in his Mustang.
37831929_2125337117748076_8366162565335613440_o.jpg

And on the Pamir Highway last year we were passed by a family in a big red London Bus doing the Mongol Rally. Bottom line is any vehicle can be used for overlanding. First you have to decide what type of overlander you want to be and how comfortable. Big gnarly 4x4 are exactly that but keeping this standard is a huge consideration when overlanding to remote areas such as the Gobi Desert in Mongolia as access to spares can make or break your trip.

Bottom line we all have our reasons for choosing the Overlanding vehicle and style that suits us and good luck to everyone who goes out there and lives their dreams.

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

We met these Aussies in Kazakhstan doing the Mongol Rally
View attachment 103159

We also met this crazy Russian with his girlfriend in Mongolia overlanding to Lake Baikel in his Mustang.
View attachment 103160

And on the Pamir Highway last year we were passed by a family in a big red London Bus doing the Mongol Rally. Bottom line is any vehicle can be used for overlanding. First you have to decide what type of overlander you want to be and how comfortable. Big gnarly 4x4 are exactly that but keeping this standard is a huge consideration when overlanding to remote areas such as the Gobi Desert in Mongolia as access to spares can make or break your trip.

Bottom line we all have our reasons for choosing the Overlanding vehicle and style that suits us and good luck to everyone who goes out there and lives their dreams.
I love the little Toyota!

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I love the little Toyota!
The 2 Aussie girls and 1 guy decided to do the Rally off the top of their heads and jumped on a plane to London, bought the car and set off.
Great adventurous spirit with a devil may care attitude proving to overland you don't need all the bells and whistles you just need the urge to get up and go.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
This a great topic and I have noticed many members with "non-traditional" vehicles on this site. Too bad they are not represented here. I for one would love to see how people go overlanding in something other than a Jeep, truck or SUV.

Reactions: Bjorn

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The 2 Aussie girls and 1 guy decided to do the Rally off the top of their heads and jumped on a plane to London, bought the car and set off.
Great adventurous spirit with a devil may care attitude proving to overland you don't need all the bells and whistles you just need the urge to get up and go.
And be smart enough to NOT go where the vehicle wont make it. If I could afford to jump on a plane and buy three tickets I think I could afford to rent a 4 wheel drive and not subject myself to the hazards of a car that is not capable of going where I might want to go safely and KNOW It will bring me back. So we are talking now about intelligence not vehicles.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This a great topic and I have noticed many members with "non-traditional" vehicles on this site. Too bad they are not represented here. I for one would love to see how people go overlanding in something other than a Jeep, truck or SUV.
You will find them everywhere if you look out in the boonies. Many are walking because their cars are stuck in the mud or sand up to their door windows. Ask any four wheel guy how many times he has had to rescue such people. I was one of them once so I speak with experience.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
LOL there is a site for two wheel drive overlanders in case you didn't know, watch:

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
And be smart enough to NOT go where the vehicle wont make it. If I could afford to jump on a plane and buy three tickets I think I could afford to rent a 4 wheel drive and not subject myself to the hazards of a car that is not capable of going where I might want to go safely and KNOW It will bring me back. So we are talking now about intelligence not vehicles.
I agree but I also think too many people get hooked up on needing stuff to overland when that is certainly not the case.
As you say your brain is the best tool you have if you use it properly.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
LOL there is a site for two wheel drive overlanders in case you didn't know, watch:
Overlanding certainly does not require 4x4, I have met many overlanders throughout the world in some remote regions with 2wd on the likes of the Pamir Highway also many locals in Mongolia drive Toyoto Prius.
Overlanding vehicles depend on the type of overlanding you want to do. Just because you have a 4x4 does not make you any more of an overlander than someone with 2wd that confusion that