• HTML tutorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyProof

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SoCal-SGV
Huzzah!! Well done, man! @A-Aron, may I respectfully suggest you buy this man a beer? ;)

Whatcha going to do with the axle? Turn it into a trophy as I suggested? :D lol Let the inaugural Snapped Axle Cup commence!

Looking at those fenders, I don't think those are actually from A-Aron, they don't look like they would in any way fit on his rig.
As I remember, I caught up to them the day before the housing swap just as I was coming into the Pine Forest while on North Saline Rd.. The trailer that they were towing did not have fenders. I distinctly remember this because I was getting sprayed with snow from the tires while I was behind them and waiting for them to pull over so that I can get by.

Reactions: JungleSkunk

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
As I remember, I caught up to them the day before the housing swap just as I was coming into the Pine Forest while on North Saline Rd.. The trailer that they were towing did not have fenders. I distinctly remember this because I was getting sprayed with snow from the tires while I was behind them and waiting for them to pull over so that I can get by.
You're gonna get more than a beer my friend.. what an amazing act of kindness and good character. Those fender are off the trailer but I was unaware they were still there, we had a man come through and say he was going to take them for his trailer on his way back through.. apparently that wasn't the case. I have another friend that was planning on retrieving the axle in March on a trip, Maybe he can grab the fenders instead! I'll be contacting you privately @MonkeyProof you are a godsend and a good man!
Thank you all for sharing and your kind words!

MonkeyProof

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SoCal-SGV
@A-Aron

For future reference, all that was needed to was to remove the broken stub and c-clip, and replace with a new shaft and axle seal just for good measures. There was no shrapnel, other than the broken stub and all of the bearing surfaces were good.
20190225_101100.jpg

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Wow, thank you so much @MonkeyProof, this is fantastic!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
@A-Aron

For future reference, all that was needed to was to remove the broken stub and c-clip, and replace with a new shaft and axle seal just for good measures. There was no shrapnel, other than the broken stub and all of the bearing surfaces were good.
View attachment 87298
yeah the reason we got the whole axle assembly is because we didn't know what was broken and that it was pitch Black outside and super cold... it would have been nice to appropriately diagnose the problem before we had to leave to get parts. By the time we got the rig off to the side of the trail neither one of us could hardly move our fingers.. let alone start turning a wrench. Given the nature of the g80 and the way it commonly explodes when broken we thought it wise to go prepared with the entire axle assembly. Thank you again!

Reactions: RainGoat

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

MonkeyProof

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SoCal-SGV
@MonkeyProof, YOU are the kind of person that gives the community a good name. How many people did it take to load it up?
Just me and a couple of IPA's.. :laughing:
Getting the housing into the cargo area wasn't to bad. However, the remaining fenders that are still there are long and very heavy. And may require a trailer to pack them out. Or maybe just a sawzall to cut them into mangeable lengths.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
A sawzall is probably the right solution. Or perhaps an angle grinder with a couple of cutoff discs.

It might be good if the thickness of the steel and the overall length of the fenders were known.

When you are that far out there simply aren't many resources available for coping with the unexpected detail or two.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
A sawzall is probably the right solution. Or perhaps an angle grinder with a couple of cutoff discs.

It might be good if the thickness of the steel and the overall length of the fenders were known.

When you are that far out there simply aren't many resources available for coping with the unexpected detail or two.
I'll see if I can get the design details from my brother, he made the fenders for his trailer. Combined they are lighter than the axle for sure, but the length is around 90-100" is my guess.

MonkeyProof

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SoCal-SGV

I'll take a wild estimated guess and say a tad longer than the length of the bed of my Tacoma which is 5 feet. And each fender felt as heavy as the axle housing itself :openmouth:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
We need to start a weight/length pool so that when someone retrieves these we can determine who makes the best estimates.
They're 110" and made with 1/16" sheet steel. Have some 2" angle on one side and some 1/8" wall tubing on the other.. close to 50# each. A single cutoff wheel would cut both in half without too much trouble.

MonkeyProof

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SoCal-SGV
We need to start a weight/length pool so that when someone retrieves these we can determine who makes the best estimates.
lol, one side is tweaked beyond use which is probably why they were discarded..

Here are a few more pics to help with the guessing lol..
20190222_175917.jpg
20190222_175733.jpg
20190222_175901.jpg

MrMark

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Member #

Wow, what a thread. As a professional tour director who is a huge fan of Death Valley, I always have to shake my head at the people who travel there and think its like Disneyland. it isn't. Death Valley will test your ability to think and react. As well as make you have respect for Mother Nature and her powers to destroy as well as to nourish.

The rangers there usually do good work and I applaud the OP for at least letting the Rangers know you are aware of what you are doing and a good steward of the environment. Compared to 99% of the other asshats out there that just dump whatever they brought out there and leave it on the path. Thinking mother nature will reclaim it.

Having an axle on the side of the road is not the biggest piece of trash I have seen abandoned out there and I have even seen some Rangers trying to find serial numbers to see who owns what they found.

Giving someone grief because :
A) they chose family safety over leaving trash behind
B) Not returning the next day to retrieve said trash

Is so not cool!

Again, Death Valley, even from Las Vegas, is not an easy trek. With unpredictable weather patterns, chances of flash floods and other problems, it is not a skip in the park to do... And again, the Rangers knew it was there and would probably notify them if it wasn't picked up in time. They know it was family and safety first.

As for the people passing by and not stopping... That's a 50/50 call. The thought of being in Death Valley and seeing a car on the side of the road... MMM... there are some holes out there that are unexplained. Yet you know you would not want that to be you as you pass by.

On tour or in private vehicle (now in a jeep) I always carry extra water because I always come across someone who "Just thought we would rive to the visitor center" and they are at Grapevine Canyon with only a small bottle of water. Broken down and starting to hallucinate from dehydration...

Status
Not open for further replies.