Is there a trail that you wouldn't run again?

• HTML tutorial

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Whether because of terrain, lack of views, lack of interesting features, bad experiences, or whatever, is there a trail you wouldn't run again?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@ovrlndr
Whether because of terrain, lack of views, lack of interesting features, bad experiences, or whatever, is there a trail you wouldn't run again?
Would not run Mosquito Pass in Co again... W/o proper equipment. :D It's really an easy trail but took my Taco over it with Michelin road tires which were fine for all but about 200-300 yards of scree near the summit. Want off road tires if I ever take that shortcut again.

Boort

Reactions: ILLFOZZ

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I find myself swearing off the local trails a lot, but probably because I've run them too many times. It's tough to fill those days/weekends when I feel for adventure but can't get far enough to see something new.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I find myself swearing off the local trails a lot, but probably because I've run them too many times. It's tough to fill those days/weekends when I feel for adventure but can't get far enough to see something new.
I feel like ive got the same issue. There are a few local ones I wait tell its to cold for the average human to be out so the traffic is lighter.

Reactions: MtnManAlex

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Rubicon in El Dorado County CA. Its not a trail with obstacles, but a trail that is an obstacle. It is a great iconic trail that is a must for the die hard but for me its just to much anymore. Plus I don't like knowing I'm going to break something its just a matter of what.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Slick Rock. But I’m glad I tried it. It really helped me recognize that I’m no longer interested in trails just for the sake of trying a difficult trail. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just not for me. Sometimes it’s important to stretch ourselves and sometimes it’s important to know our limitations.

Reactions: SVgarage

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Well Tomichi is closed indefinitely due to a rock slide... I’ve heard it’s harrowing.
Its not that bad. I pulled my trailer over it. The edge isn't going to jump out and bite you.

Just remember, the view is better when you are hanging out over the edge.

Andrew S.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado Springs
Member #

Well Tomichi is closed indefinitely due to a rock slide... I’ve heard it’s harrowing.
Yes. Sadly it’s closed. I ran it several years back in a jeep TJ and that wheel base was just narrow enough to squeeze through the tight spots. I don’t think I’d attempt it in my Jeep JK unlimited now.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I feel like ive got the same issue. There are a few local ones I wait tell its to cold for the average human to be out so the traffic is lighter.
Looks like you’re not too far from me (also in CO). The traffic gets nuts across the front range in the summer and it really makes camping and 4x4ing a pain sometimes. It’s true for Moab and other areas too. The cold definitely clears things up. I still need to finish seven mile this winter and possibly check out the Walden sand dunes since they’re open year round (I believe). Getting the camping setup more winter friendly is the priority now.

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Looks like you’re not too far from me (also in CO). The traffic gets nuts across the front range in the summer and it really makes camping and 4x4ing a pain sometimes. It’s true for Moab and other areas too. The cold definitely clears things up. I still need to finish seven mile this winter and possibly check out the Walden sand dunes since they’re open year round (I believe). Getting the camping setup more winter friendly is the priority now.
You will have to stop by sometime and see the new toy I ordered for my teardrop. It is a gasoline powered heater that is designed to heat the cab of a big rig when it is parked overnight. It uses outside air and has an electronic lighter and thermostat. I just set the temp and presto, nice and warm.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I grew up outside Walden. There are some nice trails. Try Buffalo Pass or the road up through Pearl and over to Hog Park and then down to Steamboat.

Used to hang out at the sand dunes in the 60's before it was popular.

There are also some interesting trails to explore south of Gould through the old ghost town of Teller City.

Reactions: Roam_CO85 and Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Oldman
I grew up outside Walden. There are some nice trails. Try Buffalo Pass or the road up through Pearl and over to Hog Park and then down to Steamboat. Used to hang out at the sand dunes in the 60's before it was popular.
There are also some interesting trails to explore south of Gould through the old ghost town of Teller City.
North Park has been one of my favorite camping spots up until the last few years. Last time I was up there Road 3 was gated and locked a few miles past Big Creek Lakes. did not try to see if 6(x,a,b,w) path was open. Also they have cut down most of the "thalidomide" forest up that way where the trees were all bent to hell from a series of bad winters. Used to be a really eerie sight at night with a camp fire burning throwing twisted shadows all about. Think Goblin valley but under a full forest. Can't say I've tried Buffalo Pass, Anything interesting up that way?

Boort

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Wharton state forest in New Jersey. It is a great place. Iv been there maybe 4 weekends on solo trips It’s just a lot of dirt roads between pine trees. It’s all the same. Great for a day trip especially if you haven’t ever been there. But I can’t say I would enjoy going back on a solo trip again. With others maybe. It might make for a different experience.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I grew up outside Walden. There are some nice trails. Try Buffalo Pass or the road up through Pearl and over to Hog Park and then down to Steamboat.

Used to hang out at the sand dunes in the 60's before it was popular.

That Rand area is cool as heck. A pile of beetle kill though. I worked for a Ranch 40 min north of chambers lake for 5 years and did alot of stuff in an out of walden. I haul ALOT of hay out of coalmont off the ranches on the bottom of buffalo pass. That is a cool drive!!

Reactions: Boort

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

@Oldman

North Park has been one of my favorite camping spots up until the last few years. Last time I was up there Road 3 was gated and locked a few miles past Big Creek Lakes. did not try to see if 6(x,a,b,w) path was open. Also they have cut down most of the "thalidomide" forest up that way where the trees were all bent to hell from a series of bad winters. Used to be a really eerie sight at night with a camp fire burning throwing twisted shadows all about. Think Goblin valley but under a full forest. Can't say I've tried Buffalo Pass, Anything interesting up that way?

Boort
Its good ground to cover. Takes you from north park over into steamboat springs. Its neat cus you avoid hwy 40 and are on dirt the whole time. First county rd south of the grizzly ranch that heads west. Think there is 5 miles of paved road west tell you hit dirt and climb up and over into steamboat.

Reactions: Boort

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I grew up on the family ranch in Walden. A nice place to camp is the trailhead for Lake Kathrine, due west of Walden. You have to go through the Noffsinger ranch, but it is forest access. It is a short 3 mile hike to the lake, which I think is one of the prettiest in Colorado.

Reactions: Boort and Roam_CO85