roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
After 7 years of living in my Land Rover in Africa I have the following simple rules:

Less (gear) is more (actual travel).
Spend money on quality mechanical items and core equipment - what you know you need to be tough or good.
When tempted to buy, always hesitate, sleep on it. Research and then just go in and buy it if needed. Never browse and ask for advice in a shop.
Don't buy gear if you can get it made (usually much cheaper to do so in Africa, plus it's custom made for me).

Bonus tips :)
Start off with nothing, just a stock vehicle and do two trips for a few weeks to identify what YOU actually need - everybody has their own pace, style, risk tolerances.
Many difficult problems are solved by fantastic equipment - do you actually have the problem though?
Are you actually travelling for a year or just going on a glorified holiday for a few weeks? Be honest, the less time, the less you need ;)

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

o
The CJ is mixture of my original 85 my wife and I bought new when we got married and an 84. The bronco is all 68 and I've owned it for 12 years. If you're ever in California and looking for someone to show you some trails... look me up! We've got a lot of great trails nearby and great camping! View attachment 251436View attachment 251431
Ah man, I miss my CJ!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Good thread a large part of it is the internet, all us old guys got by with what we had because it what we had. Our "Influencers" were the guys we ran into on the trail. Many of the trails you see on youtube etc, are really cool but also the exception even for the guys posting, did they biuld a wonder rig sure but the thing is it is thier money to spend

I started with cars on forest service roads, after a few decades got a Xterra, followed by and older Pathfinder when the Xterra was written off, and now a Land Rover Discovery. The most expensive thing on the Discovery is an RTT, but I am getting older and like the room, and even that I bought used.

I have seen "Glampers" with all the toys - their toys cost a lot, but they go to a campground for a weekend and have a good time.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Good thread a large part of it is the internet, all us old guys got by with what we had because it what we had. Our "Influencers" were the guys we ran into on the trail. Many of the trails you see on youtube etc, are really cool but also the exception even for the guys posting, did they biuld a wonder rig sure but the thing is it is thier money to spend

I started with cars on forest service roads, after a few decades got a Xterra, followed by and older Pathfinder when the Xterra was written off, and now a Land Rover Discovery. The most expensive thing on the Discovery is an RTT, but I am getting older and like the room, and even that I bought used.

I have seen "Glampers" with all the toys - their toys cost a lot, but they go to a campground for a weekend and have a good time.
These are good points. I also started with whatever vehicle I had and just went camping. However I never traveled across boarders back then, didn't have a purposed build vehicle back then... but I kinda still don't. I lived in a Chevy blazer for a a few months ( wasn't really by choice but I made it work) and basically worked fine until winter came and I didn't have the equipment to stay warm, or I may still be living in it ( I can't back that up... I blew the rear end out and really couldn't afford to fix it .... at a stop sign even .....). I made things work with a very tight budget and some basic camping gear. I would hit a diner, buy breakfast and snag the condiments off the table and kept a loaf of bread I the back. I drove down to the nearest Harbour and plugged my phone into the shore power outlets to charge my gear, and drove into the woods on train company maintenance trails to sleep before driving back into town in the morning to drive a crew into a construction site for a couple bucks in the mornings. It wasn't a planned situation but you gotta do what you gotta do lol.
Basically, I understand both sides. Now that I have a bit of disposable income I love looking at building my dream overland rig, but I don't because I really don't need the stuff. I have spent the last 10 years building a rig with that ( small) disposable income that I can take just about anywhere... but it's not comfortable or spacious.. it was just me back then and I didn't mind.... now I have a wife, 2 kids and a dog.... so now I also have a Jeep compass with a small lift, and a few extra gadgets but it's still very basic... though I admit it is becoming a bit more complex over time.
Again ... I see it both ways. When I take out my TJ solo I really don't mind "roughing it" because that's just what I'm used to. When I am with my wife and kids "roughing it" doesn't work. They need a but more to keep them enjoying the trip which is fine. I am out there to enjoy myself too and if they aren't happy, I'm not gunna be very happy either.

Reactions: Sparksalot
S

SoCoRuss

Dam, My CJ was that cream color also. Bronco was the med blue. I had to go into my wifes photo albums to see some old pics of them after seeing yours. My last 2 pics of them were with me and my grandpa in them on lumber company logging roads in South Caroline on dove hunts. He died about 3 weeks after the pics, I had completely forgotten that...

Vfrobin

Rank III
Investor

Explorer I

Newark, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Robin
Last Name
Lanoue
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6DWM
I stay basic and bought a good base rig and I try to build it with what I need…. Not necessarily what I want. No lift, good tires, quick popup tent, a cot, a 12V aux battery for the 200$ refrigerator and a camp chair to look at the star drinking a cold beer!! Good friends around to tell tales, half lies and half true stories! Creating memories.

What else you need? I would put the 50k to do a overland trip in Australia or exploring Patagonia.

Last edited:

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I am enjoying this thread, but I have a question.

what is useless and overpriced stuff?

I love my refrigerator, a friend will not buy one, he thinks they are overpriced and a cooler does just as good. On one of my Alaska trips, the ice was melting so fast from slushing around and ice wasn’t always easy to find. I have found the fridge to be worth every penny.

Another example, at 19k miles, the suspension in my 2020 Tacoma has compressed between a 0.5”-2.5” , I couldn’t carry anything in the back without the front being up in the air, Toyota said there was nothing wrong. I went and got a good lift kit and fix my suspension and added to the ability of my truck. So at 1 year old, my $39k truck got a $3k suspension, but I see that as a necessity to do what I want, you might not.

What someone on here might call overpriced or useless (not needed), another might call it a necessity or basic gear.

Last edited:

Vfrobin

Rank III
Investor

Explorer I

Newark, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Robin
Last Name
Lanoue
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6DWM
I am enjoying this thread, but I have a question.

what is useless and overpriced stuff?

I love my refrigerator, a friend will not buy one, he thinks they are overpriced and a cooler does just as good. On one of my Alaska trips, the ice was melting so fast from slushing around and ice wasn’t always easy to find. I have found the fridge to be worth every penny.

Another example, at 19k miles, the suspension in my 2020 Tacoma has compressed between a 0.5”-2.5” , I couldn’t carry anything in the back without the front being up in the air, Toyota said there was nothing wrong. I went and got a good lift kit and fix my suspension and added to the ability of my truck. So at 1 year old, my $39k truck got a $3k suspension, but I see that as a necessity to do what I want, you might not.

What someone on here might call overpriced or useless (not needed), another might call it a necessity or basic gear.
I think its the proper way how you did it. You used your rig, you got information on what you needed based on what you have experienced… you choose the right suspension kit. If you had bought the kit beforehand you probably never knew you needed it.

The suspension compressed on your 2020 Tacoma? Is it because you were heavy and degraded or its due to the quality of the components? I have a 2022 and I notice changes too.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I think its the proper way how you did it. You used your rig, you got information on what you needed based on what you have experienced… you choose the right suspension kit. If you had bought the kit beforehand you probably never knew you needed it.

The suspension compressed on your 2020 Tacoma? Is it because you were heavy and degraded or its due to the quality of the components? I have a 2022 and I notice changes too.
I think the quality of components. Up to that time I really didn’t carry a lot.

29.5 front (Stock at dealer; not my truck)

29. (Mine stock)

31.75 (Ironman)

30.75(1 year old)

32 rear (Stock at a dealer, not my truck)

28.5 (mine stock)

34.5(Ironman)

35.5(Ironman unloaded)

33.75” (1 year old)

Reactions: Vfrobin

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

Just had a thought. How about a new thread: YO, What useless and overpriced crap did you buy today?

Too Harsh? :dizzy:
1677950933341.png
Haha... Yes... To Harsh only because it is way to true!! I've personally bought a lot of stuff over the years that seemed like a good idea but ended worthless and barely surviving one trip.

S

SoCoRuss

The only thing missing in that pic is a winch:grinning:. I wont mention any brands that will start problems LOL.

Reactions: surfnturf

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@SoCoRuss So, did you get the answer to your question? Is the overlanding community killing itself?

Methinks not, because each member of the community is still doing what he does, regardless of the rest of the community. Nobody here seems to feel pressured to change, or excluded because he refuses to change. What think you?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Nobody is making anyone buy into the expensive builds/mods and if anyone feels like they need a built vehicle like the major "influencers" are driving then that's more of a personal issue than anything to do with overlanding itself. Do it however it works for you, if you're feeling the "pressure" of "needing" to spend crazy money then maybe consider who you're taking your advice from or why they're pushing what they are.

Everyone's needs and wants are different. Do I enjoy watching YouTube vids and seeing what folks are doing/building? Sure. I like it when those things are organic, though, not when those videos are simply pushing/promoting products. I don't like commercials, but I like getting ideas from people that are actually out there documenting their experiences.

My wife and I have had a multitude of hobbies/activities we've gotten into together over the years. They've all centered around travel/adventure/outdoors. We've had PWCs, boats, travel trailers, an RV, etc. Some were new experiences and some we went back to because we missed them, some depended on where we lived at the time, etc. So things have evolved over the years for us, and when it came to overlanding that also evolved over the course of ~3 years. It was never driven by "let's copy them!" but there were various sources of inspiration that drove us into wanting to get into it. We sat down and talked about what we wanted to do, what we didn't like about camping in the past, and how to make it happen without spending an arm and a leg up front. Basically, we bought a cheap soft-cover RTT and I replaced my OEM all-season tires on my truck with some Wildpeaks. We already had camping gear from before (stove, heater, cooler, etc) so it was really just a matter of packing up what we thought we might need and heading out for a couple of weeks.

Over the following winter/spring we discussed what worked and what didn't and how to improve things for our next big trip. It was largely around organization and ease of access to things as well as removing or not packing things we never used or needed, so I installed Decked storage, bought a relatively inexpensive 12v fridge, and a portable power station to keep the fridge powered without draining my battery. Then that summer we headed out on another adventure.

After that it was time to make a decision because using an RTT was becoming a bit of a hassle and after a health scare we realized it would be difficult to leave camp in a hurry without just unlatching the RTT and tossing it on the ground, whether that need to depart were due to health or something like a fast-moving wildfire, we didn't feel like the RTT was the best solution. The RTT also made it a chore to get into bed after a long drive/day, etc, due to having to set it all up. So, the next decision to be made was deciding if we enjoyed doing this enough to justify spending more money to make it more comfortable, convenient, and "safer" or move on to something else. Some people don't mind setting up and tearing down camp every time they want to go somewhere, or they don't mind the effort involved because it's "part of the experience." Totally cool, do it however it works for you. For us, we're on vacation. It shouldn't frequently feel like having to do work and getting dirty/sweaty just to set up or tear down. Again, if that doesn't bother you then great.

So, we decided that we really enjoyed every aspect of this kind of travel and the places it takes us except for the setup/teardown of camp. That's when we started researching more permanent setups that didn't require much setup at camp. We started out looking at doing a 4WD ambulance conversion or similar but that still had the large downside, for us, of having to tear down/pack up camp in order to drive anywhere. That's when we started looking into trailers and researching different options, which is how we ended up where we are currently. Had the trailer for just over a year now with some big and small trips completed and we couldn't be happier.

No, the trailer wasn't cheap. No, it wasn't an impulse buy. No, it wasn't something that some "influencer" was promoting. It was all done based on our experiences, wants, "needs," and research. I'm not going to try and push our decision on anyone else, and I'm sure there are folks that won't understand how anyone can justify spending a fair amount of money on a trailer, but I will say that after owning 3 travel trailers and an RV, knowing how they're constructed, and then researching off-road trailers you really need to make sure what you're getting is worth the money. I won't name names, but there are multiple "off-road" trailer companies out there building cheap crap and then slapping a high price on it because it's for "overlanding" or "off-grid" use when they're more flash than substance. It's those poor quality trailers and high prices that I think make a lot of people assume they're all like that. Well, they're not. Thankfully. I've seen a lot of trailers at expos that are worth maybe 1/4 of the asking/list price because they aren't built any better than the mass-produced trailers from Indiana and they're just trying to make a quick buck off the overlanding hype.

Do what feels right and makes you happy, stop caring what other people think or push.

Last edited: