Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Use the OB app, and offline maps will be active in august in case you need them as well.......
The OB app being prompted is an uphill battle I doubt they can make. Far to much competition that has been 'in the game' much longer. They'd have to come in at a price like Gaia was originally and I really doubt that will happen. They also need us to help with mapping and since most of us are already invested into other 'working' apps... just not seeing the OB one coming in strong!

JMHO

Reactions: Tundracamper

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
The OB app being prompted is an uphill battle I doubt they can make. Far to much competition that has been 'in the game' much longer. They'd have to come in at a price like Gaia was originally and I really doubt that will happen. They also need us to help with mapping and since most of us are already invested into other 'working' apps... just not seeing the OB one coming in strong!

JMHO
Use what you want, I personally have seen the OB1 app make huge leaps and is great as is and is improving even more.......

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

JMHO
I've used Gaia in the past and liked it for non-overlanding uses. I haven't picked an app for overlanding yet but I'd like to try out Gaia, onX, and OB1. Gaia and onX aren't purpose built for overlanding like OB1 is. All apps rely on user feedback to improve, including Gaia and onX, so I'm not sure OB1 asking us to help with the mapping is really a big ask. Since a lot of us are members with access already, then while we're out there we can test OB1 while having Gaia and/or onX as a backup. Lots of companies start small and aren't viewed as competitive in the market space - until they are.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I've used Gaia in the past and liked it for non-overlanding uses. I haven't picked an app for overlanding yet but I'd like to try out Gaia, onX, and OB1. Gaia and onX aren't purpose built for overlanding like OB1 is. All apps rely on user feedback to improve, including Gaia and onX, so I'm not sure OB1 asking us to help with the mapping is really a big ask. Since a lot of us are members with access already, then while we're out there we can test OB1 while having Gaia and/or onX as a backup. Lots of companies start small and aren't viewed as competitive in the market space - until they are.
Gaia is bit mainly for Overlanding... I don't get what you're saying.. Maybe the free version doesn't allow 'all' the layers available and you're just not seeing what's there. When you break down all the layers and start using... not much left to wonder about as you overland.

Like I say, not sure what you are seeing/doing and how, yet Gaia is an overlanding app well worth looking into. It's just a shame they got bought out and pricing has gone up.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Use what you want, I personally have seen the OB1 app make huge leaps and is great as is and is improving even more.......
That's the point... It's trying to catch up to the BIG Boys that are already there.. It's a saturated field that others already have domain on.

What is OB bringing to the table that others can not bring? Answer that and I (as well as many others) may consider!
Jim, you can't just say I like it better than without really telling us why!

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Gaia is bit mainly for Overlanding... I don't get what you're saying.. Maybe the free version doesn't allow 'all' the layers available and you're just not seeing what's there. When you break down all the layers and start using... not much left to wonder about as you overland.

Like I say, not sure what you are seeing/doing and how, yet Gaia is an overlanding app well worth looking into. It's just a shame they got bought out and pricing has gone up.
My point was that Gaia wasn't built exclusively for overlanding. It's obviously used for overlanding but it's also used for hiking, hunting, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, and fishing, according to their website. OB1 is being built exclusively for overlanding and will focus solely on that. Since it's being built by an overlanding community it'll likely have some unique features that perhaps Gaia and onX don't yet have that will make it competitive.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

My point was that Gaia wasn't built exclusively for overlanding. It's obviously used for overlanding but it's also used for hiking, hunting, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, and fishing, according to their website. OB1 is being built exclusively for overlanding and will focus solely on that. Since it's being built by an overlanding community it'll likely have some unique features that perhaps Gaia and onX don't yet have that will make it competitive.
Would like to think so. Yet how? How does OB1 do better than Gaia for Overlanding? Then what regions does OB1 work on? Reality is OB1 is a concept not yet working... Gaia is on this and other adventures. Do I really want an exclusive app to only Overlanding? Do I want to have several apps for what I wish to do/see?

Yes, Gaia is a cross platform app and does very well as such. I left another for hiking, because Gaia does so well. Then comes in the Hunting and so forth. The statement is, Gaia is doing so well in 'all' these, the competition has one heck one a hill to climb to compete against.

Yes, I like Gaia and all it has to offer us. When I bought in it was because I was touring back country Canada an it offered Backcountry routes for Canada. That sold me! Now that I have seen all else it offers, and how to use all else it offers... Hard to see how anyone can possibly compete...

It really comes down to pricing for what they offer. I have a couple more years of my contract before I have to do anything. I love what I have and will change out if another offers the same at a better $$ than what Gaia now charges.

Hey, each to their own, but OB1 has one heck of a hill to climb (and pricing) before I'll switch over...

JMHO

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

GAIA was not built for overlanding, it was first and foremost built for backpacking.
The first navigation app made for Overlanding was Backcountry Navigator, which unfortunately stopped being developed for many years (they ran into the same problem OB1 did and could figure out how to keep the app free and have started making new updates every now and then).
The second App made solely for Overlanding is Onx Off-Road. They too are still asking users to share their trails to build their databases.
Then finally OB1 is the third Overland Exclusive Navigation App designed specifically for Overlanding. Where OB1 leaves all the competition is right here, no other platform has the range of forum support on all topics regarding Overlanding, the ability to create and share trips to the whole community, messaging capabilities to other users by clicking on a map icon, SoS, Support Alerts, and much more. No other navigation app features these capabilities.

…What is OB bringing to the table that others can not bring? Answer that and I (as well as many others) may consider!
Jim, you can't just say I like it better than without really telling us why!
OB1 is going to bring everything that GAIA has plus all the extras I listed above… and the reality of the finished usable product is very close. Michael’s goals are achievable, and there is a huge team working on making this a reality. OB1 will work in all regions, GAIA can’t work globally because the digital maps of some countries are owned by that country’s government, but due to users uploading information to OB1 the trail systems are being built as we speak.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

GAIA was not built for overlanding, it was first and foremost built for backpacking.
The first navigation app made for Overlanding was Backcountry Navigator, which unfortunately stopped being developed for many years (they ran into the same problem OB1 did and could figure out how to keep the app free and have started making new updates every now and then).
The second App made solely for Overlanding is Onx Off-Road. They too are still asking users to share their trails to build their databases.
Then finally OB1 is the third Overland Exclusive Navigation App designed specifically for Overlanding. Where OB1 leaves all the competition is right here, no other platform has the range of forum support on all topics regarding Overlanding, the ability to create and share trips to the whole community, messaging capabilities to other users by clicking on a map icon, SoS, Support Alerts, and much more. No other navigation app features these capabilities.

OB1 is going to bring everything that GAIA has plus all the extras I listed above… and the reality of the finished usable product is very close. Michael’s goals are achievable, and there is a huge team working on making this a reality.
Are going to bring... You know how many proposals I have sat in on that have said this? It's not what can, i's what is! Is this already something I should invest in?
OB1 is a baby hoping to grow... sorry.. not seeing any of my money investing accordingly.
At least not yet...

Show me what you have and for what dollar! Then tell me what you'll bring for what $$. Show me this is not another build/sell enterprise in hopes of making $$. Then leave us to paying $$ to stay involved. You've already shown newbie's $$ to join..

What makes this venture so different? Please don't say the community.. We use other apps within this and will probably continue to do so. So why shift from?
Better? How? So far just trying to achieve...

Hey, 2yrs from now I'll be looking.. Think you'll be there by then? Better, think you'll be the cost choice?

That's one Heck of a hill you are climbing!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Are going to bring... You know how many proposals I have sat in on that have said this? It's not what can, i's what is! Is this already something I should invest in?
OB1 is a baby hoping to grow... sorry.. not seeing any of my money investing accordingly.
At least not yet...

Show me what you have and for what dollar! Then tell me what you'll bring for what $$. Show me this is not another build/sell enterprise in hopes of making $$. Then leave us to paying $$ to stay involved. You've already shown newbie's $$ to join..

What makes this venture so different? Please don't say the community.. We use other apps within this and will probably continue to do so. So why shift from?

Hey, 2yrs from now I'll be looking.. Think you'll be there by then? Better, think you'll be the cost choice?

I’m doing 90% of what Gaia does now on OB1. The only thing OB1 can’t do at the moment that GAIA can is the ability to build tracks… how soon until this happens… end of 4Q21 to beginning of 1Q22. The end product is getting very close…

I’ll let @Michael jump back in here and fill in the blanks…

Reactions: Sparksalot

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I think this is one of the main draws for OB1 as the development continues to move forward. The community behind it isn't just improving an app through user feedback, it's enhancing user experience in all aspects through the app. You utilize Gaia and onX for navigation. You use OB1 for an overall overlanding experience with the navigation being but one feature of it.

At least not yet...

The beauty of the marketplace is that there are multiple options for you to choose from if OB1 doesn't meet your needs. If at a later point OB1 meets those needs then you can purchase it then. Your demand that they show you that it's not another vaporware product is being shown in real time. Over the last year or so there's been significant changes to the app and updates continue.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Also we the users get to make suggested features and they get "voted" on and implemented......I am not here to sell anyone on OB1, but I will say if you have not used it, do not think you have a clue and know what it can or can not due. Again use what make you happy......

Jim

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I’m doing 90% of what Gaia does now on OB1. The only thing OB1 can’t do at the moment that GAIA can is the ability to build tracks… how soon until this happens… end of 4Q21 to beginning of 1Q22. The end product is getting very close…

I’ll let @Michael jump back in here and fill in the blanks…
You're telling OB1 has 'all' the layers Gaia has now? It just won't track?

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I can’t find Overlanding on desktop or mobile. I’ve attached a screenshot of mobile.

How do I create a route using two waypoints? Or do I have to create a bunch of waypoints and not expect it to adhere to the forest road or what have you?
On GAIA, you can tap on the screen to enter Create Route mode then click on your destination and _sometimes_ GAIA will create a proper route. However, for more complicated trails it's a lot better if you click along the way you want to travel to guide GAIA to the correct route.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

The reason we are building OB1 is because we are not satisfied (as the overland community), with the options available. Each of the products mentioned have strengths and weaknesses. I've used them all.

The strength of our product is the feedback from the community - like this thread. We are overlanders first and we know what we need. Gaia comes from a hiking background. OnX from hunting, and Apple and Google - well....

Strength: Your feedback and requests go directly into the product: Community Requests and Roadmap

If I'm speaking from an "Overland Bound" perspective I'm always going to say use what works for you. The important thing is to get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

I will say, the mapping and navigation space is not saturated IMO. How many true overland navigation apps can you count on your fingers and toes? I mean true overland contenders. Also consider, OB1 is not just a mapping and navigation app. How many have community built in? How many have IRL event planning?

What is OB1 now? It's not there yet. OB1 is relatively new as a product. Our intent is not to "unveil with a splash" because this requires a huge amount of resources we don't have. Think resources in the $5MM range. That's software development - which I know a fair amount about. Instead. We are iterating to greatness, incorporating feedback specific to overlanders, while maintaining a useful and functional app along the way. It's tricky business, but we are doing OK at it. As we grow, we increase functionality, and improve usability. I've got at least 5 very good friends that do not use OB1 currently. They use other solutions for navigation. When they migrate to OB1 naturally - I'll know we've hit a major milestone.

So what is the goal?

To combine community support, event and trip planning, mapping and navigation in one app.

In my mapping app I can also call for help or get information, or plan a trip with as much detail as I want. In addition we'll be adding some great features I'm not ready to speak about just yet, that will go well beyond what's out there. These features are things only a dedicated overland community can think up.

So right now we are in "meat and potatoes" development - implementing a lot of core systems that are just baseline - like downloading offline maps, and we are already doing some things better, like automatically updating USFS roads and trails when Govt records are updated.

We want one app that provides a complete set of overland trip and navigation tools with community support and connection. Quality and ease of use are core.

M

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Well, I'm also one of those that you need to actually have it 'up & running' better than for me to switch and offer it at much better pricing. The features you speak of exist elsewhere, others I have elsewhere some I see as not doing much good 'cell based' in the field. Brings me back to 'having' elsewhere.. Still not seeing how you surpass the Big Boys with this list of features.

Please do prove me wrong!
Safe Travels

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Well, I'm also one of those that you need to actually have it 'up & running' better than for me to switch and offer it at much better pricing. The features you speak of exist elsewhere, others I have elsewhere some I see as not doing much good 'cell based' in the field. Brings me back to 'having' elsewhere.. Still not seeing how you surpass the Big Boys with this list of features.

Please do prove me wrong!
Safe Travels
Use what works! If you are satisfied, no need to switch.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I use an iPad with Gaia and a BadElf GPS. I also use the ioverlander app for finding camp sites at times. I dont really like on-X. I love using my iPad, I like the informationI get on Gaia, wish my CarPlay Gaia did that.

I just did the Pony Express using my iPad & Gaia and paper maps, it worked out OK, but there was some wrong information. I do like that I can record my route and make some notes along the way. Also there where not a lot of other paths/roads to take, but I did still have to use a lot of points along the way, because it would back track to the nearest road. For me Gaia always wants to do a hiking profile. I would like to see a system that let me pick off road trails for 4x4 or motorcycle or bike or ext. Let me choose no paved roads.

Right now I am trying to map the Continental divide trail for 4x4, all Gaia gives me is parts of the hiking trail. I have found a GPS file for Garmin on the motorcycle forums, I dont know if that will transfer to Gaia. Using Gaia to map it, it takes me to the nearest road to travel the fastest route.

I like the idea of an off road/overlanding mapping program that I can use on my iPad and use my Mac computer to plan the route, one that takes in account off road/back country roads.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I do find glitches in Gaia, yet not really that many to move me away. I typically can route around from what data I have and just visual. I think this happens to all us with any software. I have posted to Gaia where I found weirdness and I see they added some of this info. The other way is to check if others have shared tracks in the area. I have found this also to be very helpful! Gaia has a strong community adding to all the phases of the app.

I use several routes put out by the Moto-Sport folks as guides in areas I don't know. As long as you can get .kmx or .gpx they load up in Gaia. I do press for .gpx... I have also found that if a track is post in Google there is website that will Mae a .gpx out of it. Maps to GPX I have no idea how long this will remain free... so use it as you need now..

I don't use Gaia as a 'go-to' app, well not yet anyway. I do use it to direct on a route/track I have up. For that it works like it should. Now this would be the item OB could step up and beyond the others out there, by setting up the turn-by-turn to overland routes and no commercial routing. No one has that yet!

Safe Travels! I'll be passing by your area sometime in Jan!

Reactions: NMBruce

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I do find glitches in Gaia, yet not really that many to move me away. I typically can route around from what data I have and just visual. I think this happens to all us with any software. I have posted to Gaia where I found weirdness and I see they added some of this info. The other way is to check if others have shared tracks in the area. I have found this also to be very helpful! Gaia has a strong community adding to all the phases of the app.

I use several routes put out by the Moto-Sport folks as guides in areas I don't know. As long as you can get .kmx or .gpx they load up in Gaia. I do press for .gpx... I have also found that if a track is post in Google there is website that will Mae a .gpx out of it. Maps to GPX I have no idea how long this will remain free... so use it as you need now..

I don't use Gaia as a 'go-to' app, well not yet anyway. I do use it to direct on a route/track I have up. For that it works like it should. Now this would be the item OB could step up and beyond the others out there, by setting up the turn-by-turn to overland routes and no commercial routing. No one has that yet!

Safe Travels! I'll be passing by your area sometime in Jan!
Thanks

I need to find out if "Big Dog Adventures" use a GPX file, he has the CDT mapped out

I should be around the area, PM me and maybe we can meet for lunch